Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Newbie, expected mileage from stock ball joints.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
trussdob is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
trussdob's Tacoma Gallery
Newbie, expected mileage from stock ball joints.

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and the very satisfied owner of an 04 SR5 TRD access cab V6. A quick background summary.....It currently has 195,000 miles on it with no mods. It's a daily driver that occasionally sees the ORV corridor on the dunes and beaches of Cape Cod and some rougher back roads here in Western Massachusetts. I treat it well and maintain it through my local Toyota dealer regularly. I have a dealership I trust with seasoned techs and low turnover in their service dept....the tech that did my first oil change 7+ years ago will be doing one next week, he's been assigned to this truck since day one....a great find. The front pads took me to 150K and the rotors just needed a new surface for the pads with no warping, I'm still on the original clutch, and it runs like the day I bought it.

I realize this is an objective inquiry with lots of variables (driving conditions, driving habits etc.) but here goes. As I approach 200K everything up front feels tight, it aligns properly, none of the ball joint boots are torn and so on. Yet at this mileage I'm wondering if its worth having the ball joints and tie rods done. I guess its more piece of mind. I travel distances approaching 200 miles for hiking and biking adventures over the summer and really don't need one failing as I roll over one of New England's infamouse expansion joints (highway speed bumps) at 70 mph. The dealership I trust tells me there isn't any tire wear or alignment issues that show they need replacing and doesn't recommend it. Am I just paranoid and are these (and my driving habits) simply serving me well?

Thanks for reading and any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
Phuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
Phuket's Tacoma Gallery
you said you have had your truck serviced regularly so they must have fixed the ball joint recall. these trucks are built to last. I doubt you'll have anything go wrong for a long time.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Have toyota check if and when they replaced them due to a recall because if they were originals they would have broke by now.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:37 AM   #4
trussdob is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
trussdob's Tacoma Gallery
I appreciate the replies. The only recall work that's been done on this truck was a frame inspection and after it was determined sound a rust proofing applied and a 25 year warranty added for the frame. I had heard of the ball joint recall but they've never been touched; I believe because it was found this VIN wasn't affected. I'll inquire again just to be sure.