Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Buying a first Gen, random questions before I take the plunge!

Old 02-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
Ronaldo156 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ron
Ronaldo156's Tacoma Gallery
Buying a first Gen, random questions before I take the plunge!

Hey all! new to TW, but I am intent on getting my first official truck and am set on a first Gen taco. just had a couple of random-esq questions, as I'm hunting right now but second guessing on everything.

right now I'm on a budget and looking in the 8-10k range for a 4x4. I don't know what the markets like everywhere else, but up here in the Northwest (seattle area), Tacoma's are like gold and being held onto like such. so far the only trucks i'm seeing are in that high mileage range (180-230k) which is about what I expected. I've heard raves about how good the 2.7 and 3.4's are, but is there anything drasticly wrong with buying high mileage on these?

as far as the 2.7 and 3.4, I'm not entirley set on one or the other. the 2.7 would be nice for that extra couple MPG's, but the 3.4 sounds better in the long run as I haul dirtbikes (and in the near future maybe a small pop up trailer) on decent size roadtrips. as of now, it's more of me waiting on one clean and having most of what I want as far as options (CC, AC, Power). any imput on preferances of motor size? concerns?

and as far as the TRD package goes, is that just an E-locker in the rear and different gearing? do the non TRD equipped first gens come with anything of that nature from the factory? (such as manual locking hubs) Sorry if all these questions seem silly, just my first vehicle that I intend to make last for atleast 10 years, want to make sure I do it right and get all my research done beforehand!

-Ron
Old 02-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Bash Fabriction & Off-Road
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
01Tac0ma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo156 View Post
Hey all! new to TW, but I am intent on getting my first official truck and am set on a first Gen taco. just had a couple of random-esq questions, as I'm hunting right now but second guessing on everything.

Nice choice, 1st Gen FTW!

right now I'm on a budget and looking in the 8-10k range for a 4x4. I don't know what the markets like everywhere else, but up here in the Northwest (seattle area), Tacoma's are like gold and being held onto like such. so far the only trucks i'm seeing are in that high mileage range (180-230k) which is about what I expected. I've heard raves about how good the 2.7 and 3.4's are, but is there anything drasticly wrong with buying high mileage on these?

Thats not a bad budget and you should be able to find something for around that price even if you have to go out of state to find one...High mileage shouldnt be too much of an issue as long as you take time and be thorough about it and all the maintenance (timing belt, oil changes on time and so forth), check the frame for rust and be sure to ask about any issues that might be taking place and what has all been done and repllaced ont he truck!

as far as the 2.7 and 3.4, I'm not entirley set on one or the other. the 2.7 would be nice for that extra couple MPG's, but the 3.4 sounds better in the long run as I haul dirtbikes (and in the near future maybe a small pop up trailer) on decent size roadtrips. as of now, it's more of me waiting on one clean and having most of what I want as far as options (CC, AC, Power). any imput on preferances of motor size? concerns?

I have the 3.4 and like it power wise compared to the 2.7 and i average around 18 mpg (17.8) with sliders, front bumper, front skid and about 200lbs of stuff in my toolbox and bed, havent had any issues as of yet with mine. Replace a steering rack and normal maintenance and thats about it.

and as far as the TRD package goes, is that just an E-locker in the rear and different gearing? do the non TRD equipped first gens come with anything of that nature from the factory? (such as manual locking hubs) Sorry if all these questions seem silly, just my first vehicle that I intend to make last for atleast 10 years, want to make sure I do it right and get all my research done beforehand!

I also have the TRD 4x4 and mine has 4:10 gears front and rear, thats the big difference from TRD and non TRD the only other difference is that there will be blue and yellow bilstein shocks on a TRD truck but thats easily replacable so not much of a big deal, if a truck has a TRD sticker on it look for the RR Diff Lock button right behind the steering wheel to the left and for the actuator on the driver side of the 3rd member at the axle.

-Ron
Hopefully that helps out and answers most your questions
Old 02-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry but the above poster is wrong. I too initially had a budget of about $10K.

It took $14K and change to get there, and I'm far from being alone. The fact that Yahoo news decided in Dec 2011 to name 1st gen tacos on their "vehicles that do not depreciate" list sure hasn't helped, nor the fact that a lot of this trucks have been bought back and remove from circulation.

Here is a link that you need to read:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ng-prices.html

Good luck!
Old 02-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
ttran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant future

Name: Tim
ttran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
Sorry but the above poster is wrong. I too initially had a budget of about $10K.

It took $14K and change to get there, and I'm far from being alone. The fact that Yahoo news decided in Dec 2011 to name 1st gen tacos on their "vehicles that do not depreciate" list sure hasn't helped, nor the fact that a lot of this trucks have been bought back and remove from circulation.

Good luck!
It's not that he's wrong, you just have to get lucky and jump on one when the opportunity arises. I had a budget of 11k and was able to get an 01 DC 4x4 with 80k miles for 10.5k.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Come to AZ and pick up mine

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...d-offroad.html
Old 02-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
adt0423 is on a distinguished road
EMS: Fire/Rescue Volunteer
Name: Alex
adt0423's Tacoma Gallery
1st gen ftw. i have a 97 2.7 4x4 with lock outs in the front. i love it. its manuel so i have enough torque to haul my honda atv on a trailer. I'd love to have a v6 but my 2.7 is great with gas prices so high. i've seen 1st gens with 300k miles on them, just keep up with maintance. best of luck in w/e you choose.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post

Good luck!
I said it was do-able if he went out of state possibly, i paid 3k for mine so i know they can be found for good prices... I find them all over for 8k or so it will just take time and be worth it in the end to wait for the right one but jump on it asap when you do find it!
Old 02-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
You'll most likely way over pay .
Old 02-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
TRD also has a factory metal gas tank skid plate.

IIRC manual locking hubs are only available on the early first gens (pre-2000) with manaul transmission.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
TRD also has a factory metal gas tank skid plate.

IIRC manual locking hubs are only available on the early first gens (pre-2000) with manaul transmission.
Didnt know that till now!
Old 02-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #12
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Tac0ma View Post
Didnt know that till now!
Top of the picture.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #13

^ Oh i knew mine had it as well as my moms prerunner just didnt realize the metal skid was a TRD thing
Old 02-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #14
Common Sense Ninja
thatSchusterguy is on a distinguished road
thatSchusterguy's Tacoma Gallery
My 96 has a metal gas tank skid, and it's a non-TRD?
Old 02-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #15
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatSchusterguy View Post
Something I read on TW at one point or another. My bro's 03 non-trd has a plastic skid so I assumed what I read here was true.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #16
drwb is on a distinguished road

Name: Allen
drwb's Tacoma Gallery
just saw this on CL:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/2841715251.html
Old 02-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #17
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
X2
Old 02-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #18
Common Sense Ninja
thatSchusterguy is on a distinguished road
thatSchusterguy's Tacoma Gallery
Probably just another example of the 96-97 truck superiority
Old 02-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwb View Post
not to fond of the color but thats a pretty good deal for the mileage...all it takes is some looking around
Old 02-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #20
adt0423 is on a distinguished road
EMS: Fire/Rescue Volunteer
Name: Alex
adt0423's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Probably just another example of the 96-97 truck superiority
^So true