Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

grinding noise from rear end and other issues

Old 02-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
escomatt is on a distinguished road
Name: matt
escomatt's Tacoma Gallery
grinding noise from rear end and other issues

hey im matt. this is my first post here. i have a 2003 tacoma with a 2rz motor. my first issue is that im hearing a grinding noise coming from the rear end when im driving in 5th gear at low rpms. my second issue is that i recently changes my spark plugs and when i pulled the coil packs, the one from the cylinder furthest back looked rusty and oily. the truck doesnt really have the power that i feel it should and i feel like these issues are contributing to it. i also just turned 214,000 miles. any idea what could be wrong?
Old 02-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
bump
Old 02-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Ah when you told me on the phone you had oil on the coils I thought you meant suspension coils ...def not CV boot lol
Old 02-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

96Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Try checking/changing out your u-joints. Ive had ujoints that seemed fine on inspection, but it wasnt until you removed them and inspected you could see the wear.

Also check your backing plate lip grinding on your drum.. long shot but happened to me.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
The grinding noise not 100# sure but maybe brakes. Or 3rd member but that's weird it's only in 5. Have you ever serviced your tranny may have a sync going out.

And oil on the coil id check the compression on that cylinder the rings may be bad.

Sorry I'm not much help but it's a start

Good luck
Old 02-11-2012, 12:35 AM   #6
right on any suggestion helps. ya im thinking that the ring on the 4th cylinder might be bad. and about the u joints thats good idea. ill take a look at it tomorrow morning. thanks for the help guys
Old 02-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

96Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah u-joints can show a bunch of different symptoms. My friends truck you could tell only when he was going up hills. Mine started bad just going from forward to reverse, before it was crunching the whole time.