LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Fold down tire carrier (CBI) or offroad bumper with tire swing?

View Poll Results: What to get
CBI premium fold down tire carrier 2 7.14%
Off Road bumper w/ tire swing out 26 92.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
Alpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Ruben
Alpha Q Up's Tacoma Gallery
Fold down tire carrier (CBI) or offroad bumper with tire swing?

Looking for some advice on what To get for a spare tire relocater. Looking for some pros and cons on both options.

First is CBI's fold down Premium tire carrier.

Pros:
-price(~$350 + shipping)
-still use my hitch to tow
-light in weight (compared to OR bumper)
-centered

Cons:
-sticks out a lot
-I will need to buy a lot of locking pins

Second is a Off Road bumper with a swing out tire carrier

Pros:
-getting an offroad bumper and tire relocated (in 1)
-higher clearance
-armor
-hitch receiver with in unit.

Cons:
-heavy as hell
-cost about 2-3x as much
-wheel is off centered
-I will need to upgrade leaf pack to support extra weight (my aal is already sagging) more money out of pocket
Old 02-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
Alpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Photos off the fold down:

Old 02-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
I voted for the bumper. If you plan on wheeling then having a high clearance rear bumper will be much better than the fold down tire carrier.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
zachc113 will become famous soon enough

zachc113's Tacoma Gallery
I dont know how big of a deal it is around you but some of my friends have gotten in trouble for having bike racks blocking parts of there license plates. the tire fold down looks like it blocks the whole thing....
Old 02-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
tire gate?
Old 02-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
that looks so unstable, haha. I'm sure it's not though.

I have the ATO high clearance wrap around with tire carrier. It is heavy as phuck, but I also have the Dakars in the back. They took the weight like champs!

I had the tire swing out on for a while, but I still haven't been able to find a full size 33 BFG AT. so I took the swing out off and put the spare back underneath the truck and got a whole 1 MPG back.

It's a great bumper though, money well spent!
Old 02-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
captaingeech08 is on a distinguished road

Name: Dan
captaingeech08's Tacoma Gallery
It looks like the fold down carrier has a bracket for the license plate
Old 02-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
zachc113 will become famous soon enough

zachc113's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeech08 View Post
oh ok haha. i just saw it totally hidden behind it.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #9

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman15 View Post
I voted for the bumper. If you plan on wheeling then having a high clearance rear bumper will be much better than the fold down tire carrier.
Yeah I like wheeling buy I keep it pretty moderate. Seeing as though I only have 3" lift and no locker.

Thanks
For the input
Old 02-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #10

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucas View Post
tire gate?
I want to keep the tail gate. Cause I have a softopper now. It would look a little weird.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #11

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ink junky View Post
that looks so unstable, haha. I'm sure it's not though.

I have the ATO high clearance wrap around with tire carrier. It is heavy as phuck, but I also have the Dakars in the back. They took the weight like champs!

I had the tire swing out on for a while, but I still haven't been able to find a full size 33 BFG AT. so I took the swing out off and put the spare back underneath the truck and got a whole 1 MPG back.

It's a great bumper though, money well spent!
That's why I'm hesitant cause of the weight. I would have to upgrade my leaf pack and maybe even rear shocks. Mo money.

And to top it off I have 285's and I am not regeared so I can only imagine how much more powerlosd I will have.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #12

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeech08 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachc113 View Post
oh ok haha. i just saw it totally hidden behind it.
Lol yeah this wouldn't be an issue. They even have wires to connect to your towing harness for the license plate lights.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:10 AM   #13
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Bumper man.

It'll be WAY more solid and the addintional pros (protecting yada yada) are a great go.

Yes you will have to upgrade your rear suspension if you want to wheel it a lot. The tire hanging off the ass of the truck puts a lot of stress on the leafs due to the leverage. But you'll have to do that either way.

Tire offset is better IMO. It helps even out the notorious Taco Lean. So make sure its mounted on the passenger side. This also puts the latch on the driver side so its easier for you to unlock when going to the back..if that matters.

he is mine that i just had made..the pics are just mounted to Tim's truck while he was building it.

Well well worth it for the rear bumper man.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:28 AM   #14
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Q Up View Post
Yeah I like wheeling buy I keep it pretty moderate. Seeing as though I only have 3" lift and no locker.

Thanks
For the input
Pff thats no excuse! I have 33s and no regear or locker..i drive the shit outa my truck

Quote:
I want to keep the tail gate. Cause I have a softopper now. It would look a little weird.
The soft topper will make it look better actually. I think tire gates look odd with out a topper or bed rack.

Quote:
That's why I'm hesitant cause of the weight. I would have to upgrade my leaf pack and maybe even rear shocks. Mo money.

And to top it off I have 285's and I am not regeared so I can only imagine how much more powerlosd I will have.
Yes, you'd need new leafs for sure and longer shocks most likely. Probably wouldn't notice a power loss tho since the topper would block the wind already.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:57 AM   #15
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Id go with brute force fab personally, over CBI.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #16
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Photos off the fold down:

Looks like a beefed up bike rack with a tire mount on it.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #17
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Tiregate wins IMO vs the CBI, but there are other options out there.

You also missed a MAJOR con for the tiregate. Without removing it you can no longer travel with the tailgate down. This makes hauling drywall, wood, quads, etc a pita. Also the tire-gate can be a pain when parking and getting into the bed in a lot.

My neighbors wife cracked the crap out of her car door when she opened her door into my tire-gate. I secretly lol'd

I do not like the CBI bracket one bit. I actually don't like wheeling with a hitch that drops down low either.

You could always keep your eyes posted for a used bumper. I got mine to my door for about $500 if my memory serves me correctly. People are always slinging parts for these trucks.

Oh and the offset wheel is a PRO not a CON IMO. I would never want a centered wheel.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #19
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Ponethousand had a fold down and it was a PITA to get it down. He got rid of it and is now getting a custom swing out tire holder (from Box Rocket IIRC).

Do it right the first time or you will only waste your money.