Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Clinking in speedometer area

Old 02-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
iTzTruthJr is on a distinguished road
Name: Joseph
iTzTruthJr's Tacoma Gallery
Question Clinking in speedometer area

Hey guys, first post on this forum. Hopefully it wont be my last. Anyways, about a month ago my speedometer/odometer cable snapped. It got replaced, now I have a clinking and often my speed will rapidly increase from 45 mph to 60 then back to 45. I took it in to my mechanic and he says its the speedometer head. To fix it will cost 490, I just dropped 380 on the cable and repair. I feel like im getting my chain yanked. Any suggestions.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
misterdmac is on a distinguished road

Name: Doostin
misterdmac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTzTruthJr View Post
Hey guys, first post on this forum. Hopefully it wont be my last. Anyways, about a month ago my speedometer/odometer cable snapped. It got replaced, now I have a clinking and often my speed will rapidly increase from 45 mph to 60 then back to 45. I took it in to my mechanic and he says its the speedometer head. To fix it will cost 490, I just dropped 380 on the cable and repair. I feel like im getting my chain yanked. Any suggestions.
To get in there is a pain, most of that will be labor I'd imagine...that's shitty man, if it were me I would just try to calibrate judging how fast I'm going and try to be conservative. Can't imagine spending that kind of money on an old truck myself, for a non-crucial repair.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
iTzTruthJr is on a distinguished road
Name: Joseph
iTzTruthJr's Tacoma Gallery
Well the thing is on my quote they gave me labor is 69 dollars, tax is 30 and the rest is the actual item itself. That's why I think they are just charging me like 150 bucks more or something. But yes I do gauge me speed and throw on cruise control. One thing I'm worried about is they say it could affect my speedometer cable and possibly ruin it.