1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clinking in speedometer area

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by iTzTruthJr, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Feb 9, 2012 at 7:59 AM
    iTzTruthJr

iTzTruthJr [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma
    Hey guys, first post on this forum. Hopefully it wont be my last. Anyways, about a month ago my speedometer/odometer cable snapped. It got replaced, now I have a clinking and often my speed will rapidly increase from 45 mph to 60 then back to 45. I took it in to my mechanic and he says its the speedometer head. To fix it will cost 490, I just dropped 380 on the cable and repair. I feel like im getting my chain yanked. Any suggestions.

2. Feb 9, 2012 at 8:12 AM
    misterdmac

misterdmac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doostin
    In or around the truck
    Vehicle:
    '97 2.7L DLX
    To get in there is a pain, most of that will be labor I'd imagine...that's shitty man, if it were me I would just try to calibrate judging how fast I'm going and try to be conservative. Can't imagine spending that kind of money on an old truck myself, for a non-crucial repair.

3. Feb 9, 2012 at 8:52 AM
    iTzTruthJr

iTzTruthJr [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma
    Well the thing is on my quote they gave me labor is 69 dollars, tax is 30 and the rest is the actual item itself. That's why I think they are just charging me like 150 bucks more or something. But yes I do gauge me speed and throw on cruise control. One thing I'm worried about is they say it could affect my speedometer cable and possibly ruin it.

Products Discussed in

To Top