Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How sick would the twin turbo Eco-Boost engine be in a 1st gen?

Old 02-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
How sick would the twin turbo Eco-Boost engine be in a 1st gen?

I was reading about this engine in motor trend and I have to give kudos to ford. It's a 3.5L twin turbo'ed 6 cyl making 365hp and 420 lb-ft torque and still gets the same MPG as the 5vz (18 mix, 15 city 21 highway). My next thought was, how sick would that be in our little 1st gens! Apparently it weighs 450lbs, so right around the same weight as the taco v6 engine.

Maybe after I SC my engine, and then beat it to 600k miles, one of these engines will be cheap enough used to replace when the time comes.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Mall Crawler of the Year
TRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
TRDBen's Tacoma Gallery
Id take one over my current 3.4 if I could.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Mounting the engine would be relatively easy compared to getting the computer to talk to the truck.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
Mounting the engine would be relatively easy compared to getting the computer to talk to the truck.
Just stick the Toyota body on the Ford chassis. Problem solved
Old 02-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Just stick the Toyota body on the Ford chassis. Problem solved
There I go, over-thinking the problem again.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2468 View Post
I was reading about this engine in motor trend and I have to give kudos to ford. It's a 3.5L twin turbo'ed 6 cyl making 365hp and 420 lb-ft torque and still gets the same MPG as the 5vz (18 mix, 15 city 21 highway). My next thought was, how sick would that be in our little 1st gens! Apparently it weighs 450lbs, so right around the same weight as the taco v6 engine.

Maybe after I SC my engine, and then beat it to 600k miles, one of these engines will be cheap enough used to replace when the time comes.
Check out the Ford forums. They're not doing that great in the MPG department. If you can keep them off the boost, they do great but because it's a small engine in a big truck so it needs to be in boost to make power. I'd rather supercharge the Toyota V6. It seems to get a lot better mileage just cruising along if you can stay light on the skinny pedal.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
All right. I believe ya. But my Tommy Gun don't!
disc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

disc0monkey's Tacoma Gallery
LSX/T56 FTW!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Ecoboost is gutless from my experiences with them. But would be nice in a Tacoma for sure
Old 02-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #10

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Aint no chevy engine going near my truck.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Ecoboost is gutless from my experiences with them. But would be nice in a Tacoma for sure
In what way? Towing, acceleration, etc? Not that the 5.0 or 6.2 trucks are "fast" I've seen the EB trucks handle them with ease.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #12
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How about the FORD Ecoboost?
Old 02-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #13
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Check the post directly above his.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #14

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Rather a Ford than a GM. IF I were to do something as extreme as this kind of swap, I would go with the Toyota 4.0 or a Diesel half cut conversion. that being said, I am content with my little old 3.4.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #15
caffeine nicotine gasoline
livel0veryde is on a distinguished road

Name: josh Rockett
livel0veryde's Tacoma Gallery
this would be pretty sweet, someone should make a kit to do it, id buy
Old 02-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #16

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Check the post directly above his.
Yep... missed the boat on that one

Quote:
Rather a Ford than a GM. IF I were to do something as extreme as this kind of swap, I would go with the Toyota 4.0 or a Diesel half cut conversion. that being said, I am content with my little old 3.4.
I really liked my old Chevy with the 5.3L, it was a strong engine and never gave me any issues. I'm not sold on Ford's new engine line-up yet, I want to see how the new Ecoboost and 5.0L hold up over some time.

If I ever went through the hassle of a motorswap, I'd go diesel D4D.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #17
disc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the sheddisc0monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Are we really going to start a LSX vs. Ford motor comparison? Pre 5.0/Ecoboost there isn't a discussion.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #18

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yep... missed the boat on that one

I really liked my old Chevy with the 5.3L, it was a strong engine and never gave me any issues. I'm not sold on Ford's new engine line-up yet, I want to see how the new Ecoboost and 5.0L hold up over some time.

If I ever went through the hassle of a motorswap, I'd go diesel D4D.
Always been a Ford guy. Not sure why, just have. I do not doubt the quality of GM stuff, just won't buy a Chevy, I'd buy another GM brand, just not Chevy. Odd, I know.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #19

IMO that's pretty ignorant because it is pretty common knowledge nothing beats a LSX for a motor swap with compatability and value. That being said, I would get a 5.0 over a LS3 Maro, F150 over a silverado. to each his own.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #20

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by disc0monkey View Post
Are we really going to start a LSX vs. Ford motor comparison? Pre 5.0/Ecoboost there isn't a discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by disc0monkey View Post
IMO that's pretty ignorant because it is pretty common knowledge nothing beats a LSX for a motor swap with compatability and value. That being said, I would get a 5.0 over a LS3 Maro, F150 over a silverado. to each his own.
Sounds like you're the one trying to start the LSX vs. Ford motor comparison...

And you can't simply say that nothing beats an LSX swap because it depends on what final result you want out of a motor swap...