Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Xtra cab Quarter Window Latch Repair

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #221
SUPERNICK is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
SUPERNICK's Tacoma Gallery
BOOM JUST BOUGHT MINE CANT WAIT TO LET THE FRESH AIR IN!
Old 06-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #222
redruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: JJ
redruM69's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys, long time no talk!
Since making these available, I have now sold over 10,000 units! They have been a huge success, and just about everybody has been extremely pleased with their windows that work. The reason I say "just about" is because I have had a small handful of complaints. Most of these complaints were they fit a little loose due to machining inconsistencies, or that they were not as thick as the original plastic part, and looks weird.
Due to unpopular demand, I have made a new prototype pivot. This one costs me a bit more to make, but I should be able to price them the same. They are now machined more accurately in the holes, and the entire pivot is shaped the exact same as the original piece, thickness and all.

I had 12 units made to test the waters, and would like 5 beta testers from this forum to test them out. Send me a PM with your address, and I will send a single pivot for you to test for free. I'll toss a classic replacement pivot in the package as well, so you can compare the 2.
Only the first 5 PM's will get this for free. Post a "PM sent" reply in this thread so that I don't get flooded.

When you get them, post your results with a PM and in this thread.

Thanks guys!
JJ
Attached Thumbnails
Xtra cab Quarter Window Latch Repair-imag1705.jpg  
Old 06-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #223
Knowledge rating result of a goat vs MC vid
Aught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Troy
Aught2TaCO's Tacoma Gallery
PM sent.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #224
redruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
4 left guys. Nobody wants a free pivot for their window latch?
Old 06-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #225
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
Pm sent
Old 06-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #226
I doughnut belong here.
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
pm sent
Old 06-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #227
kn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shedkn38ms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kn38ms's Tacoma Gallery
PM sent
Old 06-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #228
Only 1 left!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #229
jtn is on a distinguished road
jtn's Tacoma Gallery
Pm sent, can't wait to try it. Just broke mine this am!
Old 06-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #230
That's all folks. All prototypes should be in your hands Wed. or Thurs. Report back with results!
Old 06-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #231
Aught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Woohoo can't wait! I'll have it installed by Saturday, and pics will be taken.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #232
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Hey JJ, does this mean the old ones can still be had? perhaps cheaper when the new ones hit the market. no complaints with mine, but the other one will die eventually and i would rather have matching parts.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #233
rydethahillz is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
rydethahillz's Tacoma Gallery
redruM69

I am a practicing Industrial Designer and this is a GENIUS idea. My window latches are both broken and I simply built the part in a 3D modeling program and 3D printed the parts from ABS (plastic) at work. I am brand new to TacomaWorld, but it never crossed my mind that these latches were a common issue. I think what you have done here is awesome and I plan to purchase a set of these for if/when my ABS parts fail.

I have a few questions about how you actually went about the manufacturing and distribution of these parts. If you wouldn't mind sharing, PM me. If not I completely understand and wish you the best of luck.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 06-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #234
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Hey JJ, does this mean the old ones can still be had? perhaps cheaper when the new ones hit the market. no complaints with mine, but the other one will die eventually and i would rather have matching parts.
They can still be purchased here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330799934024
Old 06-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #235

FIELD REPORT

Reporting from the field (garage)... Sorry for no pics, my cheap camera won't turn on, even with new batteries. I followed the video instructions, and installation is no problem. I used a 5/32 roll pin punch just in case things were tight, but the pins slid in easily even though the new latch holes are a snug fit. Checked movement, and it works just like OEM, closes and latches and stays latched when I hit the inside of the window with the heel of my hand to mimic bumpy roads (the only thing I could think of). I like the way it looks, very little gap between the mounts. The latch is way over-engineered, it is not a weak link anymore. Hurry up JJ and get the new design in production! I just noticed my other one is cracked and about to fail as well, so I'll need another one.
Thanks to JJ for the field test opportunity, I give it two thumbs up!!
Old 07-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aught2TaCO View Post
Reporting from the field (garage)... Sorry for no pics, my cheap camera won't turn on, even with new batteries. I followed the video instructions, and installation is no problem. I used a 5/32 roll pin punch just in case things were tight, but the pins slid in easily even though the new latch holes are a snug fit. Checked movement, and it works just like OEM, closes and latches and stays latched when I hit the inside of the window with the heel of my hand to mimic bumpy roads (the only thing I could think of). I like the way it looks, very little gap between the mounts. The latch is way over-engineered, it is not a weak link anymore. Hurry up JJ and get the new design in production! I just noticed my other one is cracked and about to fail as well, so I'll need another one.
Thanks to JJ for the field test opportunity, I give it two thumbs up!!
Thanks for the input!
So far I have 2 reports that the pointy "bumper" sticking up on the back side may be slightly too tall, causing it to hang when trying to latch it shut. It seems that this did not effect yours.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by redruM69 View Post
Thanks for the input!
So far I have 2 reports that the pointy "bumper" sticking up on the back side may be slightly too tall, causing it to hang when trying to latch it shut. It seems that this did not effect yours.
Negatory, actually it glides to the lock position without a "pop" sound and feel when it cams over, unlike the stock latch. It still stays shut though.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #238
All,
You may have noticed that if you attempt to purchase my pivots on eBay, it is currently priced @ $999. I just ran out of stock, and changed the price and description to hold people off from purchasing. eBay listings/sales statistics are weird, and if I let the listing just end, I'll lose valuable data. So I raised the price to something outrageous.
That said, I should have more of the classic pivots in stock later this month, which will likely be my last batch before I switch over to the new design!

Thanks again!
JJ
Old 07-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #239
Guys,
Classic style pivots are back in stock!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330799934024

I am still working with various manufacturers to get the price down on the new design. In the mean time, I have improved the tolerances and precision of the old design.

Thanks again!
JJ
Old 07-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #240
GLD01 will become famous soon enough
Name: Jamie
GLD01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by redruM69 View Post
...Most of these complaints were they fit a little loose due to machining inconsistencies, or that they were not as thick as the original plastic part, and looks weird...
JJ
You're kidding, right?? Unbelievable that folks would complain about a quality part available at a fraction of the cost of what dealers charge for replacement, just because of its appearance. This is an invisible component of our trucks, visually. Not sure why this bothers me so much, but it does.

Your latch replacements kick ass. I've been enjoying mine for two years now. I hope that my high praise, and that of your silent customers, overwhelms anyone that has any complaints. Anyone obsessing over the appearance of an invisible replacement part can't be made happy anyway.

Carry on, and congratulations on the success you've had with these.

Products Discussed in this Thread