Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Xtra cab Quarter Window Latch Repair

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #21
01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future

01TacoBuz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I cant remember the last time my rear windows were opened so the latches are fine.
Same here, I think I have opened them twice
Old 02-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #22
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by redruM69 View Post
Yep, poor design by Toyota. Its the little black plastic dogbone shaped piece in the middle. They always break, and seem to always break at the same spot. If you are SUPER careful with them, they may last. Some people zip-tie them back together, but I figured a more permanent solution would be better.
Aluminum > Plastic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I will keep you in mind if mine break. Since I rarely use the windows, they could be ready to go now!
Yeah, it's really weird. In my 93 pickup I used them all the time on hot days. I'd open the dash vents and the quarter windows for through-flow. They never broke in 200,000 miles and 14 years. But apparently Toyota cut back on quality with the Tacoma, and eveyone's seem to be broken. Retarded.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:01 AM   #24
Hillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant future

Hillingdoner's Tacoma Gallery
subbbbbb

Let me know when they are in and I'll take a set just to be on the safe side.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #25
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
One of mine were broke when I bought the truck, I bought replacements from the other after market vendor and they are shit altho they fit the window,it does not close as tight as the oem latches, I don't open the windows so I am not going to replace with oem in the future.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #26
..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..
186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Charles
186000mps's Tacoma Gallery
Man...both mine are broke as well, I didn't know this was such a common problem.
Now I just gotta see which parts are busted up.

Thanks OP!
Old 02-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #27
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
never had a problem with mine ( i rarely open the windows though). *knock on wood*

but for $12 or whatever it is, I might just preemptively take care of this.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #29
fshams is on a distinguished road

fshams's Tacoma Gallery
I am interested also... Please let us know when available.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #30
Hillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant future

Hillingdoner's Tacoma Gallery
Not looked at the OE close yet (both ours are okay so far knock on wood), but looking at the picture from the OP what does everyone think about maybe fitting some sort of plastic washers either side of this piece?

Looks like there is loads of room and just wondered if it would give smoother operation and maybe less chance of possible noise/wear later down the road.

Think it is worth doing and would be helpful?

OR am I just crazy as usual?

Any ETA on these pieces?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #31
redruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: JJ
redruM69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillingdoner View Post
Not looked at the OE close yet (both ours are okay so far knock on wood), but looking at the picture from the OP what does everyone think about maybe fitting some sort of plastic washers either side of this piece?

Looks like there is loads of room and just wondered if it would give smoother operation and maybe less chance of possible noise/wear later down the road.

Think it is worth doing and would be helpful?

OR am I just crazy as usual?

Any ETA on these pieces?
After this first major batch, I may look into making these full width, and fitting them with nylon bushings. But then cost goes up.
So far these work really well as is, although they are a little stiff by design. I don't see wear being a major problem unless you are opening and closing them 50 times a day.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #32
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
i will take a set
Old 02-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #34
thedjan is on a distinguished road
thedjan's Tacoma Gallery
Window latch interest...1pr

My step dad has a 03 and I always get stuck in the back jump seat. Well I've managed to brake both latches in my quest for fresh air. They are broke in a way such that they do keep the windows closed for now, but I would love to purchase some of your billet ones and surprise him with the fix. Oh and someone was making these, but the link to it no longer works from other forums on the subject...jsimotorsports...also seen complaints about ordering, but no part, no response and the phone number not working. Not sure whats up w/that.

So do you re-use the exisitng drift pins or would your kit come with pins??

Regards

Don
Bellingham, WA
Old 02-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #35
demo243 is on a distinguished road
Name: Devon
demo243's Tacoma Gallery
One of mine is zip tied close... definitely think about about it. Will have to get some bolts or something though since all the other peices are gone as well...

...mulls over whether to buy a 12 pack or these...
Old 02-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #36
muay_thaierd is on a distinguished road
muay_thaierd's Tacoma Gallery
In for a set.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #37
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Im in for a set mine are fine but who knows if they will snap like everyone eleses.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #38
redruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredruM69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinthefawker View Post
will these fit on the first gen tundras also?
Thats a good question. Are the tundra latches the same part? Can you show me a picture of your tundra latch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjan View Post
...So do you re-use the exisitng drift pins or would your kit come with pins??
The original pins are utilized.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #39
Hey guys,
Installation video is up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80KBuGY9Qs4
Old 02-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #40
Have a nice day
htuong95 is on a distinguished road

htuong95's Tacoma Gallery
I am interested in a set for my friend. I bought a pair about 2 years ago for $30 from another site. They have been sold out for a long time. Your price is so much better.

Products Discussed in this Thread