Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cheapest way possible?

Old 02-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
magic is on a distinguished road
magic's Tacoma Gallery
Cheapest way possible?

So last year i went with a 3" toytec spacer lift with procomp shocks. And its not riding as good as i would like it. What is the most effective/cheapest way to improve ride quality?

Put fox shocks up front with the spacer?

Ebaich and 5100's up front?

i know it would be best to just get nice king/icon coilovers but the fact is im a poor student haha and i dont offroad race so i dont need nor can i afford brand new performence coilovers.

thanks
Old 02-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
ttran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant future

Name: Tim
ttran's Tacoma Gallery
Eibach and 5100's. You won't regret it. It's what I'm running right now and I love it.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic View Post
So last year i went with a 3" toytec spacer lift with procomp shocks. And its not riding as good as i would like it. What is the most effective/cheapest way to improve ride quality?

i know it would be best to just get nice king/icon coilovers but the fact is im a poor student haha and i dont offroad race so i dont need nor can i afford brand new performence coilovers.

thanks
Using Fox shocks with a spacer is like using Chanel to make a pig stie smell better...

Lift coils with the appropriate shocks would be your best option, 5100's with stock coils would be next best and a little bit cheaper.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
alove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Adam
alove0750's Tacoma Gallery
Just pinch pennies and save up for the coilovers... the price seems rough, but once you do it you will never look back... I had the 5100's and coils, not a bad ride, but it doesn't hold a candle to coilovers
Old 02-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
magic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alove0750 View Post
Just pinch pennies and save up for the coilovers... the price seems rough, but once you do it you will never look back... I had the 5100's and coils, not a bad ride, but it doesn't hold a candle to coilovers
what kind do you recomend? please remember $$ is an issue for me haha
Old 02-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #6
magic's Tacoma Gallery
and wouldnt i need to upgrade UCA's? so im looking a 450 atleast.... it looks like ill be sticking with spacer and prcomp shocks for a while
Old 02-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #8
Irish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Irish020's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

thanks
Coilovers, UCA's, and sway bar relocator....
Old 02-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alove0750;4534785[B
]Just pinch pennies and save up for the coilovers... the price seems rough, but once you do it you will never look back[/B]... I had the 5100's and coils, not a bad ride, but it doesn't hold a candle to coilovers
im not sure if you people that post that realize what it is like to be on a limited budget and try to lift a truck the right way, but "pinching pennies" for a 700 dollar C/O lift is not practical. depending on the budget you could wait a year.

Quote:
personally i just ordered a set of 4 5100s, a toytec AAL and the diff drop kit. My coils and leafs are in surprisingly good condition considering the age of the truck, so i can use the stock coils. if your leafs and coils are still good, with no negative arch or weak coils you could get what i did. $418 to lift the truck 2.5" the right way. getting eibach front coils, which would improve the ride and give you 3" with the 5100s set at o, will be an extra 150. not bad if you are on a budget.

body lift<block/spacer<5100s/AAL<5100s with eibachs/progressive 3 aal<C/Os with a brand new leaf pack
Quote:
and wouldnt i need to upgrade UCA's? so im looking a 450 atleast.... it looks like ill be sticking with spacer and prcomp shocks for a while
just went through all the same questions and situation as you man. you need new ucas ($500) after 3" of lift of you will not be able to get your alignment back . also for anything over an inch the diff drop is highly recommended, it actually works for the 1st gens. so you are going to want to keep it under 3" if you dont plan on doubling the cost of your lift
Old 02-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
Tacomas FTMFW!!!!
sir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud of

Name: John
sir1123's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttran View Post
Eibach and 5100's. You won't regret it. It's what I'm running right now and I love it.
this
Old 02-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
Tacomas FTMFW!!!!
sir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud of

sir1123's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
im not sure if you people that post that realize what it is like to be on a limited budget and try to lift a truck the right way, but "pinching pennies" for a 700 dollar C/O lift is not practical. depending on the budget you could wait a year.

personally i just ordered a set of 4 5100s, a toytec AAL and the diff drop kit. My coils and leafs are in surprisingly good condition considering the age of the truck, so i can use the stock coils. if your leafs and coils are still good, with no negative arch or weak coils you could get what i did. $418 to lift the truck 2.5" the right way. getting eibach front coils, which would improve the ride and give you 3" with the 5100s set at o, will be an extra 150. not bad if you are on a budget.

body lift<block/spacer<5100s/AAL<5100s with eibachs/progressive 3 aal<C/Os with a brand new leaf pack

just went through all the same questions and situation as you man. you need new ucas ($500) after 3" of lift of you will not be able to get your alignment back . also for anything over an inch the diff drop is highly recommended, it actually works for the 1st gens. so you are going to want to keep it under 3" if you dont plan on doubling the cost of your lift
some people have gotten there tires back to aligned with 3" on here. i had 3 1/2 inches when i first got into modding my truck and there was no crowning. now i just have 3" and they were fine till i took it to tire kingdom.FML
Old 02-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #12
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir1123 View Post
some people have gotten there tires back to aligned with 3" on here. i had 3 1/2 inches when i first got into modding my truck and there was no crowning. now i just have 3" and they were fine till i took it to tire kingdom.FML
It wouldn't be camber or toe that they can't get right without ucas, so no effect on tire wear. Its the caster you can't get right, which can lead to a wandering feeling.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #13
TACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
Are u a 4*4?
Old 02-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #14
Tacomas FTMFW!!!!

sir1123's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
It wouldn't be camber or toe that they can't get right without ucas, so no effect on tire wear. Its the caster you can't get right, which can lead to a wandering feeling.
oh i see so camber is pretty adjustable? and in my case i have never had wandering
Old 02-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir1123 View Post
oh i see so camber is pretty adjustable? and in my case i have never had wandering
They can usually get the camber in spec by making the caster way too low. And the wandering is all relative, I'm sure your truck would handle better with aftermarket ucas, but if you can live with it then its all good.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #16
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #17
magic's Tacoma Gallery
To answer any Q's..... Yes my truck is a 4x4.... My current setup is 3" toytec spacer with w/ stock tacoma coils(coils were in good shape) w/ decent promcomp shocks with diff drop. In the rear 1.5" toytec spacer w/ decent procomp shocks. On procomp black 16x8" with 3.75" bs with 285/75/16
Old 02-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #18
alove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:

For the money I don't think you can beat the Toytec's... they aren't horribly expensive and have a great ride quality!
Old 02-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
I'm a full time college student working minimum wage, it doesn't get much more limited. The biggest thing is your budget... if you want a nice lift, wheels, tires or anything else for that matter you just have to cut out all the non-necessities. Cut out the fast food and other nickel and dime things that you don't think about for one of two months and you would be amazed at how much money you have.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #20
magic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alove0750 View Post
For the money I don't think you can beat the Toytec's... they aren't horribly expensive and have a great ride quality!
arent the toytec's just ebaich coils with 5100's with a different name because toytec essemblied them?