1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

best method for replacing shackles?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by David M, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Feb 10, 2012 at 2:24 PM
    David M

David M [OP] Member

Member:
    I searched the forum a little for this question but didn't find exactly what I'm after. Hopefully it's not common a question!

I just purchased a set of ToyTec 1" lift shackles for my 2004 DC Tacoma. I've never done any work with suspension before so no idea what's involved. I know I need to relieve the spring tension somehow, but I don't have a floor jack. I do have a 2 bottle jacks, a hi-lift and an two jack stands. Can I make this work with that equipment or do I need a floor jack?

I've read about two methods for doing this. 1) jack up truck at rear diff; place jack-stands under frame; lower diff until springs are hanging free. 2) place jack between leaf spring and frame; open jack until spring is arched enough to relieve pressure on the shackle.

What's the best method? Safest?

Thanks,
    David

2. Feb 10, 2012 at 2:32 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    hmm i would use your bottle jack you got under the diff, then support the frame with jack stands. but you may need to lower and lift the vehicle alot, i used a floor jack on my tow hitch, that way was really easy

3. Feb 10, 2012 at 2:35 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    Ummm #1 by far. you could also use the high lift on the frame and until the wheels are off the ground and set the frame on the jack stands

4. Feb 10, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    Tacomadude89

Tacomadude89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austen
    When I did it I rested the frame on jackstands, then used my floorjack underneath the diff so that I could lower/raise it as needed.

Installing the shackles is pretty darn straight forward. If there is going to be a hard part, that would be removing the stock bolts...this is where an air hammer comes handy! :)

5. Feb 10, 2012 at 4:13 PM
    David M

David M [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks guys. The jack between spring & frame seemed a little suspect but you never know. I found a floor jack nearby for $50 so maybe I'll just pick one up. Seems like being able to quickly adjust the hight of the diff is what makes it really simple job!

Products Discussed in

To Top