Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

best method for replacing shackles?

Old 02-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
David M is on a distinguished road
David M's Tacoma Gallery
best method for replacing shackles?

I searched the forum a little for this question but didn't find exactly what I'm after. Hopefully it's not common a question!

I just purchased a set of ToyTec 1" lift shackles for my 2004 DC Tacoma. I've never done any work with suspension before so no idea what's involved. I know I need to relieve the spring tension somehow, but I don't have a floor jack. I do have a 2 bottle jacks, a hi-lift and an two jack stands. Can I make this work with that equipment or do I need a floor jack?

I've read about two methods for doing this. 1) jack up truck at rear diff; place jack-stands under frame; lower diff until springs are hanging free. 2) place jack between leaf spring and frame; open jack until spring is arched enough to relieve pressure on the shackle.

What's the best method? Safest?

Thanks,
David
Old 02-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
hmm i would use your bottle jack you got under the diff, then support the frame with jack stands. but you may need to lower and lift the vehicle alot, i used a floor jack on my tow hitch, that way was really easy
Old 02-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I searched the forum a little for this question but didn't find exactly what I'm after. Hopefully it's not common a question!

I just purchased a set of ToyTec 1" lift shackles for my 2004 DC Tacoma. I've never done any work with suspension before so no idea what's involved. I know I need to relieve the spring tension somehow, but I don't have a floor jack. I do have a 2 bottle jacks, a hi-lift and an two jack stands. Can I make this work with that equipment or do I need a floor jack?

I've read about two methods for doing this. 1) jack up truck at rear diff; place jack-stands under frame; lower diff until springs are hanging free. 2) place jack between leaf spring and frame; open jack until spring is arched enough to relieve pressure on the shackle.

What's the best method? Safest?

Thanks,
David
Ummm #1 by far. you could also use the high lift on the frame and until the wheels are off the ground and set the frame on the jack stands
Old 02-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Tacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
Tacomadude89's Tacoma Gallery
When I did it I rested the frame on jackstands, then used my floorjack underneath the diff so that I could lower/raise it as needed.

Installing the shackles is pretty darn straight forward. If there is going to be a hard part, that would be removing the stock bolts...this is where an air hammer comes handy!
Old 02-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
David M is on a distinguished road
David M's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. The jack between spring & frame seemed a little suspect but you never know. I found a floor jack nearby for $50 so maybe I'll just pick one up. Seems like being able to quickly adjust the hight of the diff is what makes it really simple job!