1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TOYOTA(2001-2004 RUSTY FRAME)WON'T REPLACE ANYMORE!!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by rjtlawncare, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Feb 11, 2012 at 7:11 PM
    Snowman

Snowman I have a problem for your solution…

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    I also see that not only have you had the truck since '09, but you have been a member on here since then. How did you NOT know about this? There is a thread every week about frame recalls.

2. Feb 11, 2012 at 7:15 PM
    rjtlawncare

rjtlawncare [OP] Active Member

Member:
    People people lets get this straight I didn't know of such inspection. But Toyota Does and Did know and didn't info us and will not info future owners.

You say it was widely publicized, then I would like to see this publication, and how it was publicized(where, then, and to who). :confused:

Should Toyota make these frame up until 2019. OHhhhh yes!! that's what toyota said they would do. This is/was not my idea.:goingcrazy::goingcrazy:

And yes the frame was deemed Failed/ Unsafe/ Perforated Frame from Toyota Rep. But they refuse to fix. Again Toyota knows this and knew this for a long time, THAT THEIR FRAMES ROT OUT, AND THEY ARE NO GOOD. THAT IS WHY THEY REPLACE THEM. I'm sorry Toyota replaces only some of them, which is discrimitation at it's definition.

3. Feb 11, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Just to clarify not all 1st Gen Toyota Tacomas are affected by the frame rust issue.

4. Feb 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM
    rjtlawncare

rjtlawncare [OP] Active Member

Member:
    This isn't my Death Trap its my friends and that shouldn't matter. This is a safety issue for all:smack: And I do not trend this site like you do and had no idea of this recall and my friend also did not know and for that matter other owners do not know BECAUSE TOYOTA WILL NOT INFORM THESE OWNERS.

5. Feb 11, 2012 at 7:37 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Dude come on. Seriously just listen to us. Toyota already did their part. They notified the owner of the truck when this issue was found. Several times. Now they are under the assumption that the owner has followed through on their end and the inspection is done yearly. If not, that is the owners fault. The previous owner did a disservice to you by not including the paperwork, but that's not Toyota's fault. Toyota has to close these cases at some point. If you have 150,000 open warranty cases in a business, you have to make a deadline so you can close the ones that don't get a response. It's all part of running a fortune 500 company. Yeah, the frames are bad. You got screwed because YOU DIDN'T RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BOUGHT.

6. Feb 11, 2012 at 7:38 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    You might want to get your buddy involved in this if it his truck you are referring to. No wonder Toyota denied your claim.

7. Feb 11, 2012 at 7:39 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    I suppose that Toyota is supposed to send a letter every time one of these affected trucks changes hands.

8. Feb 11, 2012 at 7:43 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Oh great, another self proclaimed crusader of justice :rolleyes:.

Look, if you are really so concerned for everyones well being then take Toyota to court. Rambling on with a third grade vocabulary armed with your trusty caps-lock is getting you nowhere fast.

9. Feb 11, 2012 at 7:52 PM
    Snowman

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    It's not Toyotas job to track down every single person that bought a vehicle and tell them of recalls. It is the owners responsibility to ask and to make sure the piece of steel you drive 80mph is safe.
    The frame recall was announced 4 years ago, they extended the deadline at least twice. You should have had your truck looked at by a professional before last month.

There are probably thousands of news articles about the frame recalls. Google it if you dont believe me. But no, there probably wasnt one on the front page of the newspaper you read.

Should they make frames until 2019? No.
    It would be very expensive and unnecessary especially since it was a VOLUNTARY recall. They could do like many other car makers and just tell you warranty is over after 3 years.

Discrimination: treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit.
    ...So it isnt that.

Why didn't you ever call the dealer and ask about outstanding recalls? Why didnt you take your truck anywhere to be serviced? Any tech worth his salt would see rust holes in a frame. Why didnt you do anything?

Bottom line, if they arent fixing it, then they arent fixing it.

Your 1st post in 2009:
    Who's truck is it? I smell a troll

10. Feb 11, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    Panther

Panther Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kaiden
    BH, ME & BOS, MA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport DCLB
    OEM lift. Ditch lights
    Move to NY?

11. Feb 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM
    Pig Punisher

Pig Punisher Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dearing ,ga
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 sr5, 99 4x4 trd
    Walker Evans coilovers, 285/75/16 km2's, Allpro tube bumper, Warn m8000, custom spare tire carrier, rear bumper work in progress: the 99; tec one coilovers 32" km1's on 17" stock chevy steelies, 1.5" rear shackles
    If the OP is not being honest about who the truck belongs to, then it stands to reason that he knew about the frame recall and was just too lazy to get it inspected.

12. Feb 11, 2012 at 8:33 PM
    ERG80

ERG80 Newb

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    1997 T100 & 1996 FZJ80
    Ops story has changed a few times. Theres more to the story than what we're hearing.

13. Feb 11, 2012 at 8:48 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    Isn't it used car buying 101 to check for recalls on the vehicle once you (or even before) purchase it?

14. Feb 11, 2012 at 8:51 PM
    Snowman

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    Yep

15. Feb 11, 2012 at 8:57 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    I know I did....last time I bought used, the very first thing (after changing out the fluids and rotating tires) I did was see if there were any...can't trust people anymore

16. Feb 11, 2012 at 8:59 PM
    Snowman

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    As soon as I got mine I called the dealer to see if there was a service history. I was literally driving home from the previous owners place. When I gave the vin I was informed there was an outstanding recall.

17. Feb 11, 2012 at 9:09 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Toyota built a bunch of trucks with shitty frames and they know it. I give them credit for owning up to it and extending the warranty. A condition of that warranty was regular service (inspection when being operated in a salted road state). The intent of that is so they can apply rust proofing material to the frames. I understand that. But to say that the OP's frame rusted out because he didn't get it inspected by the deadline is ridiculous. It hasn't be that long since the deadline passed. I could see it it was 2019 and the inspection and rust proof coating never got done, but they are trying to go back on their word now, and that is BS. If I was in this situation, I would get a body shop to quote a price to fix, and then go to small claims. I think the OP has a case. Toyota already admitted they have a crappy product and they have put in writing that they will take care of it. I think a judge would ask them to make good on that promise, given the current situation.

18. Feb 11, 2012 at 9:19 PM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    Works for me. You don't have to spend your life in here, but 20 posts in two years and the bulk of them are in this thread...
    I'll buy that.

19. Feb 11, 2012 at 10:55 PM
    x2468

x2468 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    Wtf? I didn't read anything about an inspection a couple years ago when I bought the truck. Fuck,.... this sucks. So I guess I need to sell this thing if I ever move northern. Can I even drive up north to visit family without being paranoid in this fucken thing now? Dammit. I read something about the Dec 31st deadline thing on the board but I figured it was misinformation from some ignorant dealership.

I read like 20 times that for 15 years after the models production you could bring it in for either a spray if it passes or a replacement frame if it fails. I never once read that it was you have x amount of time to get a spray, after that you get the frame replaced if it turns out our shit spray is a waste of time.

How much does the spray Fucken cost now?

20. Feb 11, 2012 at 11:06 PM
    x2468

x2468 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    Ya I lived in Canada, I saw cars from the 80s that were driven every winter and are still fine.

Products Discussed in

To Top