1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TOYOTA(2001-2004 RUSTY FRAME)WON'T REPLACE ANYMORE!!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by rjtlawncare, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Feb 10, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    rjtlawncare

rjtlawncare [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Just got done talking to toyota and they are claiming that the deadline for ALL 2001-2004 tacomas was on 12/31/11 FOR REPAIR. They are doing nothing about my death trap and over 620,000 other death trap on the roads today.(620,000 that's how many they claimed to have made from those years of production) They told me that they are taking no responsiblity for the frame that there own reps. have deemed undrivable and not safe. They are also not notifying any CURRENT OWNERS that own tacomas that they maybe driving around in a rusted out frame. I will be going to the local news with all the findings that I've received through NHTSA, the federal trade commision, and the ohio att. general, lemon law lawyers,. I will take to every media outlet avaiable (youtube, facebook, twitter, craiglist, websites) to make toyota face up to these very dangerous safety concerns.

The thing that I don't understand is that toyota knows they have unclaimed frames that HAVE NOT BEEN inspected through there own website(you type in your vin and it pops up all the things that have not been performed on the vechicle). The website is set up for people to find out that they may have a death trap that they are driving around in ,(and by the way these people have families that are riding with them). They are risking there own lifes as well as other americans lifes. THATS IS A VERY SCARY THOUGHT THAT CURRENT TACOMA OWNERS DON'T EVEN KNOW ABOUT THE FRAME WARRARANTY, RUSTY FRAMES, DANGERS THAT MY OCCUR WHILE DRIVING UNLESS THEY HAVE STUMBLE UPON TOYOTA'S WEBSITE BECAUSE TOYOTA IS NOT INFORMING THE CURRENT OWNER(IF YOUR THE SECOND OR THIRD OR FOURTH OR FIFTH OR....). And THE VERY VERY SCARY THOUGHT IS if you happen to find out that your tacomas frame has rusted out, Toyota will do nothing to fix the problem NOW. I'm assuming that toyota thinks this rust problem will just go away on frames from 2001-2004, but they are just going to get BIGGER AND BIGGER AS MORE TACOMA owners get wind of there DEATH TRAPS.

It would be great if TACOMA WORLD COULD PUT THIS AS A STICKY so this can be explained to other Tacoma owners that we will not stand for this treatment from Toyota(YOUR LIVES COULD BE IN DANGER IF YOU ARE DRIVING AROUND IN THESE TACOMA'S), and there should be no deadline on SAFETY!!!!! PERIOD!!!!!!

Thank you TW and all the members for OUR support in getting Toyota to man up on the SAFETY that Toyota should live by, because lets face it thats should be the reason why be bought there trucks. That WE will be safe when we drive them!!!

GQ7227 likes this.
  2. Feb 10, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    I received multiple letters from Toyota that reminded me to get yearly checks, even after I had them done. Toyota can only do so much. They extended the deadline 2 years so I don't feel too bad. It's not a recall, ford and chevy would never do this even though they have had frames bust in half.

3. Feb 10, 2012 at 8:57 PM
    rjtlawncare

Member:
    They have not, are not, and will not send letters to current owners stating that they may be driving around in frames that by there own(Toyota) admit are undriveable and unsafe. I've now talked to two people that are 2nd or 3rd owners that have not received letters. The orginally owners have been given these letters which does nothing if the vechicle was sold. These current owners and others that will own Toyota Tacoma's in the future have no way of knowing that they may be in danger. This is a safety issue and if you don't see it that way when I hope you are not following one of this DEATH TRAPS with your family in the car when one snaps in half down the highway. LETS GET TOYOTA TO MAKE GOOD ON THERE PROMISE OF SAFETY. They have records on the vins that have not been inspected. It is not hard to find these vechicle and toyota can should and will not do this. Until these frames are inspected, there is concern for SAFETY ON AMERICAN ROADWAYS!!

GQ7227 likes this.
  4. Feb 10, 2012 at 8:57 PM
    ERG80

ERG80 Newb

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    1997 T100 & 1996 FZJ80
    Toyota started sending letters out over four years ago for people to bring their trucks in for inspection. How long have you owned your tacoma?

Many letters were sent out to non-original owners. If you have a relationship with a local Toyota dealership you should have received a letter since you'd be in their system as the current owner.

5. Feb 10, 2012 at 9:04 PM
    x2468

x2468 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    wait. what? I thought it was 15 years from the model year?

6. Feb 10, 2012 at 9:04 PM
    rjtlawncare

Member:

13 months and have received no letter??

7. Feb 10, 2012 at 9:24 PM
    ERG80

ERG80 Newb

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    1997 T100 & 1996 FZJ80
    I was reading your other thread where you mentioned your dealership said youre not covered but Toyota said you are. Did you ever start a case number or anything with Toyota Corp?

I think it was covered for 15 years after its service date if it fell into the recalled VIN numbers and you had the frame inspected during the inspection period.
    Lots of good info at the end of page one and on page two of rjtlawncare's other thread.http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1s...frame-replacement-question-please-help-2.html

8. Feb 10, 2012 at 10:07 PM
    rjtlawncare

Member:

Everybody at Toyota that I have spoke to has given me a different answer, but Kevin the Truck Case Manager at Toyota has to be worst. The things this guy says that controdicks everything in there mission statement on Safety and Quality. He cares for no one's SAFETY AS THE TOYOTA'S FACE MAN for this Safety Issue( he told me that he's the man).
    And yes there is a case that has been noted.

9. Feb 10, 2012 at 10:50 PM
    rjtlawncare

Member:
    ERG80 I'm sorry but you just don't get it. This is a SAFETY ISSUE WITH TOYOTA KNOWNING THAT THERE ARE STILL TACOMA'S OUT THERE ON THE ROAD THAT ARE, CAN BE, AND WILL BE DEEMED UNSAFE NOT ONLY BY INDEPENDENT ENINGENEERS AND BY THERE OWN REPS. THEY HAVE THIS INFORMATION ON THERE WEBSITE AND IF THESE OWNERS OR FUTURE OWNERS CONTACT TOYOTA TO GET THERE FRAMES FIXED(WHICH IS WHAT YOU AND ME AND MOST IMPORTANTLY THE PERSON WHO MADE THIS TRUCK"""TOYOTA'''' SHOULD RIGHTFULLY TAKE OFF THE ROAD AND FIX FOR THE SAFETY OF ALL OF US) ARE GETTING NO HELP. iTS FOR THE SAFETY OF ALL THAT IS WHY THEY ARE STILL REPLACEING THESE FRAME TODAY ACCORDING TO kEVIN AT TOYOTA. IF SOMEBODY WITH THE VIN NUMBERS THAT TOYOTA HAS IN THERE SYSTEM WALKS IN AND HAVE NOT RECEIVED INSPECTION YET THEY SHOULD BE REWARED!!!, AND NOT SENT AWAY. bECAUSE THEY JUST RETURNED A ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN. AGAIN THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE FOR ALL

10. Feb 10, 2012 at 11:03 PM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
  11. Feb 10, 2012 at 11:20 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    I don't know all the specifics of the recall and deadlines. But I did find this. You might want to pursue it. It says 1995-2000s are covered for 15 years. Maybe there is something similar for 2001-2004s that the people you're talking to don't know about?

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/7...rame-rust-coverage-15-years-95-00-models.html

What I do know is that the problem with 2nd, 3rd, 4th owners etc., OP, is Toyota doesn't usually have addresses for these people. How could they if they don't notify Toyota of their purchase? And few used owners would ever have a reason to do this if their truck was out of warranty.

And I hate to say it, but no manufacturer can be held indefinitely liable. What if somone kept their truck for 20 years? 25 years? 30 years? If it rusts out in 25 years and becomes a safety issue, is Toyota liable then? Technically if it's out of warranty, they're not liable at all. Which blows, yes. But welcome to the legal system. As others have said, this was never a government mandated recall (at least not that I've ever heard)

I dealt with something like this with a laptop. Nvidia created a faulty discrete graphics chip, and mine just happened to go out 1 month after the statute of limitations had passed. Had I been a month earlier, I would have gotten a replacement laptop. Instead, I had to buy a used board off eBay, and do the lengthy repair myself. What made it worse was I KNEW about the recall, but the terms stipulated that unless I was experiencing a specific set of symptoms, the manufacturer would do absolutely nothing about the problem.

And the frames of these trucks are sort of the same way. Toyota will do nothing unless there's a problem. And if the problem occurs after the deadline, the owner will be SOL.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Feb 10, 2012 at 11:28 PM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    Then why did you buy a truck with a rusty frame?

13. Feb 10, 2012 at 11:32 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    To be fair to the OP, if you didn't know this was a major problem, you wouldn't go looking for it. Tons of Toyotas have surface rusted frames that otherwise are rock solid, and if you didn't know to crawl under there and look for signs of perforation, you might miss it altogether.

14. Feb 10, 2012 at 11:33 PM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    Ahh yes good point...

15. Feb 11, 2012 at 12:36 AM
    rjtlawncare

Member:
    It is very easy to get the addresses of people who has reg. there vechicle through the state in which they reside(thats the law and how you get lic. plates by the way). Again Safety to ALL, Toyota knows that not only this situation but many others out there that has not gotten there frames inspected. They are NOT LIVING UP TO THERE WORD to Quote there words here ""we are dedicated to providing vehicles of outstanding quality and value" and "to assure you that we stand behind our product, we will extend the warranty for 15 years" Well if my math is correct that would mean that the people that Toyota has in there system(through there own vin # identifcation system) that has not got there frame inspected for SAFETY and it is not past the year 2019 then that would fall under there Warranty Enhancement program. THESE are Toyota's words not mine and I'm not saying that after 25 years or 40 years, I'm saying what Toyota is saying (15 yrs).

16. Feb 11, 2012 at 12:39 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
  17. Feb 11, 2012 at 5:22 AM
    JSFoster75

JSFoster75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Bluff City, TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
    Too many to list.

LOL :) How many times did he spell "their" "there"???

18. Feb 11, 2012 at 5:24 AM
    JSFoster75

JSFoster75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Bluff City, TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
    Too many to list.
    I would like the link to Toyota's site to check my VIN if anyone has it??? I'm set up under their main site with under the "Owners" tab and it gives me a list of each time the car is serviced at a dealer, but not much info on what was done. Also haven't seen a list of outstanding recalls, etc???

19. Feb 11, 2012 at 7:00 AM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    I think just about every vehicle on this planet will eventually rust out. Props for Toyota for insuring their frames up to 15 years. Sorry you didnt make the cut, but plenty of chances were given.

20. Feb 11, 2012 at 7:36 AM
    ERG80

ERG80 Newb

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    1997 T100 & 1996 FZJ80
    First link in post 9 of this thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/156943-1st-gen-tacoma-buyers-guide.html

I do get it and understand why youre frustrated. But it sounds like theres more to the story than just you never receiving a letter after 1.5 years of ownership. Does your truck have a clear title?

Products Discussed in

To Top