Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1996 tacoma 3.4--What year engines will fit?

Old 02-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
bigbucks is on a distinguished road
bigbucks's Tacoma Gallery
1996 tacoma 3.4--What year engines will fit?

Hello to all. I have been driving Toyota trucks for over 11 years now, and I have run a body shop for 19 years so I have some experience in the field. I recently purchased a 96 Tacoma 4X4 ext cab with the 3.4L. Like so many others it had bad head gaskets, and I think the previous owner let it get hot (probably many times), and probably cracked the heads. When I bought it there was water in the oil and it was chuggin' tons of white smoke. But the price was right so I limped it home. Well she locked up in my driveway so instead of rebuilding the heads I am just going to try to find a used engine. I know that the 3.4s are the same from 95 to 99, but the block is the same up to 04. My question is, what is the difference in the 2000 to 2004 engines? Are the heads completely different or is it just the electronics and maybe intake?

Thank you in advance for any answers!

Kevin
Old 02-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Phuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
Phuket's Tacoma Gallery
i heard of a guy putting an LS1 in his truck, but idk about the engine differences.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuket View Post
i heard of a guy putting an LS1 in his truck, but idk about the engine differences.
I don't think anyone's done it on a 4x4 before.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbucks View Post
Hello to all. I have been driving Toyota trucks for over 11 years now, and I have run a body shop for 19 years so I have some experience in the field. I recently purchased a 96 Tacoma 4X4 ext cab with the 3.4L. Like so many others it had bad head gaskets, and I think the previous owner let it get hot (probably many times), and probably cracked the heads. When I bought it there was water in the oil and it was chuggin' tons of white smoke. But the price was right so I limped it home. Well she locked up in my driveway so instead of rebuilding the heads I am just going to try to find a used engine. I know that the 3.4s are the same from 95 to 99, but the block is the same up to 04. My question is, what is the difference in the 2000 to 2004 engines? Are the heads completely different or is it just the electronics and maybe intake?

Thank you in advance for any answers!

Kevin
Actually, head gasket issues on the 3.4L are very uncommon. Its predecessor however, the 3.0L, is a different story.

The 3.4L was basically unchanged from the '96s thru the '04s.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:14 AM   #5
Thanks for the replies.

I am not looking to do an engine swap with anything other than another 3.4. But apparantly something is different in the 2000-04's. I know the blocks are the same but I was hoping the heads are as well.

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbucks View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I am not looking to do an engine swap with anything other than another 3.4. But apparantly something is different in the 2000-04's. I know the blocks are the same but I was hoping the heads are as well.

Thanks!
Everything is the essentially the same except the ignition/spark system I believe. You can get a 3.4L from 96-04 and it'll be good.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
Thanks so much for the replies! I hope you guys know what your talking about because I am about to purchase a 2004 engine tomorrow.