Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

yet another billy 5100 ?

Old 02-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
briandischinger is on a distinguished road
Name: brian
briandischinger's Tacoma Gallery
yet another billy 5100 ?

sorry if this is a question that has been answered a bunch already, but i serched around and couldn't find it.... i have an 03 4x4 trd ext cab 3.4... would it be ok to run the stock rear suspenion with new bilstien 5100's, or do i have to raise the rear for more clearance, it seems that the shock body is longer on the billy than the stock one... i have a one inch rear shackle,(not installed) but i would rather not use it because i just jacked the front up with the billies and it now sits at the stance i like (a little higher in the front) any suggestions?
Old 02-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
Tacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
Tacomadude89's Tacoma Gallery
I would run the 5100's in the rear as well, you'll be glad you did. If I understand it correctly, you're planning on raising the back 1" and while the stock shocks will work, they will have even worse of a ride because they'll be near maxed out. Not too mention, they won't be able to flex as much either because of it.

I would pull the trigger and get the rear as well. Downsouth Motorsports has some nice deals and you can even use the forum discount on top of it.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
briandischinger is on a distinguished road
Name: brian
briandischinger's Tacoma Gallery
yes, i have the 5100's all the way around thanks to DSM, but i dont really want to install the 1" shackles if i don't have to...I like the way it sits with the front a little higher, but it looks like the shocks might compress all the way before the stock bump stops have a chance to do their thing... I think the shock body on the 5100's are a little longer than the stock ones.. I guess my biggest concern is if i bottom out it will mess up nthe new 5100's...
Old 02-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by briandischinger View Post
yes, i have the 5100's all the way around thanks to DSM, but i dont really want to install the 1" shackles if i don't have to...I like the way it sits with the front a little higher, but it looks like the shocks might compress all the way before the stock bump stops have a chance to do their thing... I think the shock body on the 5100's are a little longer than the stock ones.. I guess my biggest concern is if i bottom out it will mess up nthe new 5100's...
you dont have to have the shackles if thats what you are asking.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
According to DSM, 5100s are little too long for stock height. They recommend (8" & 8.6") 5125s for that appplication.
X2
They are too long especially if your leafs are worn and sagging. 5125s if you have stock height and plan on staying that way. 5100s if you want to lift the rear now or in the future.