Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Power Steering Noise

Old 02-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
yota14 is a name known to allyota14 is a name known to allyota14 is a name known to allyota14 is a name known to allyota14 is a name known to allyota14 is a name known to all
Name: Nathan
yota14's Tacoma Gallery
Power Steering Noise

Hey yall my truck is making a pretty bad whine or hum when I start it up. If I let the truck warm up, then it will go away once its is warm. Tonight I just started it up and took off and turning out of the driveway the whining had a variation in sound.

Any ideas on what to do to fix it?
Old 02-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
Cheyenne Trail Crew
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
How's your fluid level look?
Old 02-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
yota14 is a name known to allyota14 is a name known to allyota14 is a name known to allyota14 is a name known to allyota14 is a name known to allyota14 is a name known to all
Name: Nathan
yota14's Tacoma Gallery
Just checked it man, its bout dang perfect
Old 02-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
J-rob
beefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J-Rob
beefcake's Tacoma Gallery
i have the same problem, and i just put a new ps pump on, im starting to think its the rack and pinion, mine leaks like a mofo
edit: it leaks right out of the input shaft, right beneath the dust boot
Old 02-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
A common issue is the screen at the bottom of the reservoir. It gets plugged up and although there is fluid, it cannot flow causing the whine. I pumped out the reservoir and sucked the screen clean with a shop vac. Then refilled the reservoir and done.

I read around that some guys just take a screw driver and punch a hole through the screen too. They hadnt experienced any problems and many vehicles dont even have such a screen.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #6
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
check your PS belt and idler pully. My idler pully was bad and it caused the PS system to hum/whine bad when turning. Replaced the pully and tightened the belt and it went away.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
J-rob
beefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J-Rob
beefcake's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
A common issue is the screen at the bottom of the reservoir. It gets plugged up and although there is fluid, it cannot flow causing the whine. I pumped out the reservoir and sucked the screen clean with a shop vac. Then refilled the reservoir and done.

I read around that some guys just take a screw driver and punch a hole through the screen too. They hadnt experienced any problems and many vehicles dont even have such a screen.
i am gonna try this, thanks for the help, can the rack and pinion whine like a ps pump if it is not working correctly
Old 02-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I have the same problem, Im going to give this a shot also.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #9
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
didn't someone recently post a thread about cleaning that screen? I have my high pressure hoses off because I am doing my R&P, so its drained...might as well do it while i have to apart.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
didn't someone recently post a thread about cleaning that screen? I have my high pressure hoses off because I am doing my R&P, so its drained...might as well do it while i have to apart.
I dunno, but I have posted this possible fix in at least 3 threads. haha
Old 02-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #11
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same issue which later led to bearings destroyed in the pump, replaced pump, viola.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #12
trijetoh is on a distinguished road
trijetoh's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Quote:
I dunno, but I have posted this possible fix in at least 3 threads. haha
Hey, this worked for me. I got my wet-vac and adapted the end to a 5/8 inch tube and sucked out the bottom. Added new fluid and viola, no noise.