1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

looking to buy Timbren. opinions/reviews

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by spidy3, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Feb 12, 2012 at 8:09 AM
    spidy3

spidy3 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dom
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    10 DC TRD Off Road
    Havent found much on the Timbrens on 1gens.

Looking to find out how the ride quality is with them loaded/unloaded?

Is the front kit only needed if plowing?

I'll be towing a 16' bass tracker boat alot and looking for a little "help" towing it. I didnt have any problems last summer with it but heard the Timbren kit will help with sway and wear on suspension parts
    I will also be towing a polaris ranger, or a 4x8 trailer loaded with wood once in a while

like to stop this from happening or atleast make it not as bad....
    [​IMG]

On a pretty tight budget so thats why Im looking to go this way.

Leafs and rear shocks are about a yr old
    Also, not really looking to add any lift to truck at this point either

2. Feb 12, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Personally I would go with Firestone ride-rite air bags. Some people on here run them.

3. Feb 12, 2012 at 8:48 AM
    98Woodrow

98Woodrow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 reg cab

Nice, spidy. You improved my post. What's more, it looks like one of us copied the other one's life--I will be twoing 16' boat and occasional 4x8 trailer full of wood. You say you got new leafs and shocks a year ago? What did you get and how did it work for you?

4. Feb 12, 2012 at 9:21 AM
    spidy3

Member:
    First Name:
    Dom
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    10 DC TRD Off Road
    Shocks were replaced by stock tokicos I believe and the leafs were replaced with stock ones when the frame was done. I just wanted to pretty much say that its newer and not worn so ppl dont tell me to just get new suspension.

I do alot of traveling in my Tacoma, take several trips a year that are 200-500miles each. I put 17k miles on truck in the year I've had it and thats with a 3 mile drive to work and 2 other vehicles being driven (my Integra, sold now and GFs Corolla) So I'd like to try and keep the ride quality best as possible.

5. Feb 12, 2012 at 4:32 PM
    Tacomanater

Tacomanater Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington County, NY (VT Border)
    Vehicle:
    '02 SR5, 4WD, V6, 5Spd
    JBA headers & exhaust, new cats, K&N CAI, new shocks, 2.5" lift, Prodigy P2, Timbren, snobord552 light bar (v.2), KC off-roads and Hella fog lights, Teflon A/R ATX 16" Ledge, Nitto Terra Grappler, (265/75R16's), ultragauge, curt roof rack on thule set-up.
    Spidy:
    I just installed the Timbrens on my truck when I had the lift and wheel and tires put on (Decemeber). I will be towing my car back and forth to the track (approx 5100lbs). So far, with the minor lift, the truck does ride a bit stiffer (but that is most likely due to the shocks- all new when frame replaced-this past summer). I will know more about towing and can comment once the track season open here in the East (Mid April?). From the research that I did on the car site, the Timbren was highly recommended. I think the air suspension sounds like it is the best option.

6. Feb 12, 2012 at 4:41 PM
    humtaco

humtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    The ride quality is not a problem unloaded provided you have the recommended gap and when you do hit a bump it isn't bad at all.

I put them on my 96 along with replacement leaf springs because the original leafs on the 96 were pathetic, two leafs and the overload. I liked them so much it was the first thing I put on my 03 when I bought it, stayed with the stock leaf springs and no lift. I haul decent loads of firewood and gravel on a regular basis. Got them through Amazon for $175 Timbren TORTAC4A. You don't need the fronts unless you're putting heavy loads there. [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

7. Feb 12, 2012 at 5:00 PM
    spidy3

Member:
    First Name:
    Dom
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    10 DC TRD Off Road
    thanks for info guys

Tacomanater.. I'll be looking forward to your review. I wouldnt be making the purchase for a little bit anyways. Have to save up a bit, I want a new driver for golf too haha

8. Feb 12, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    Not sure if you're open to other options, OP, but t3hWIT's review of Firestone's "Ride Rite" Air Bag system makes them look like a pretty good option...

9. Feb 12, 2012 at 7:01 PM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift
    I had them on my '99. Great product. Ride quality was decent when loaded. Not soft but certainly a lot better than riding the bump stops. One issue I had was my leafs were so shot that the truck constantly rode on the timbres. By design they are supposed to only kick in when your truck sags more than one inch.

10. Feb 12, 2012 at 8:03 PM
    spidy3

Member:
    First Name:
    Dom
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    10 DC TRD Off Road
    this from review... "If you want to install the kit with the help of a lift, you should chain the axle to the frame before you lift the vehicle in the air. (Also note that this will be required if you want to lift the vehicle after the airbags are installed. The bags can stretch too far and be damaged with the wheels off the ground)"
    I tend to bring my Tacoma into the shop when its slow and do whatever I can to play around with it and waste time so that would probably get annoying for as much as I put truck on lift.

Also, the chance that something might happen to the airbag and I'll need to buy a replacement part for it isnt what I want to have to worry about. I like the idea of putting the Timbren bump stop on and knowing its a more solid piece and not feel like I always have to check it before I hop in.

Im not fully against airbags and might be able to be pursuaded into them but at this point, Im still leaning towards Timbren

11. Feb 14, 2012 at 10:39 PM
    x2468

x2468 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    I've been very happy with my rears. I've done long road trips with multiple bikes, loaded u-haul, and tons of luggage and they never let my truck get much lower than level. Don't really notice them without weight in the back. I got them at the same time as an AaL so it's hard to say how stiff if got with them, if at all. But I'm pretty sure the AAL stiffened my ride the most. Plus the AAL lifted the timbrens away from the axle a bit giving it more room.

12. Feb 15, 2012 at 5:13 AM
    98Woodrow

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 reg cab
    Is there a way to measure before you buy the Timbrens to predict whether your truck's sag will make it ride on the Timbrens? If so, how big a gap should I look for?

13. Feb 15, 2012 at 5:16 AM
    98Woodrow

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 reg cab
    I found my own answer: http://www.timbren.com/frequently-asked-questions.htm

Products Discussed in

To Top