Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How To Plastic Dip The Badges?

Old 02-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
I Am Batman!
Asta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to behold

Name: Daniel
Asta's Tacoma Gallery
How To Plastic Dip The Badges?

I was wondering how to plastic dip the badges while they are one the truck how does it not stick to the paint? (How is the best way to apply it?)
Old 02-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
tape off around the badge with newspaper

spray

dry

spray again

peel off tape

toothpick around badge

toothpick inside badge
Old 02-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
I Am Batman!
Asta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to behold

Asta's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reid
RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
howzit! for some reason plastidip did not work too well for my badges. tried it today and only the 2 doors and the grill logo worked SO-SO. the tailgate and SR5 badges failed, peeled off the badge when removing the excess. Applied 4 coats to all badges also. What could be the problem? HELP PLEASE.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
When I did mine, I started with the SR5 badges. I ended up putting like 5 coats on. It was thick enough that it got between the badge and the body. I used a scalpel to go around the edges but I couldn't really get it to come out clean.

When I did tailgate badges I used 3 coats. These were easier because the letters are larger so the scalpel worked great. Just be sure you make one continuous cut when you go around the letters.

The door badges were the easiest for me. Again, I used 3 coats. There seems to be a larger gap between the door and the badge on these, so I didn't need a scalpel to go around the letters. I just started to peel it off and everything on the door of the truck came off, with the paint still on the letters. I had to use a toothpick to scrape out of the middle of the letters though.

I hope this helps somewhat....
Old 02-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
I Am Batman!

Asta's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffirg View Post
When I did mine, I started with the SR5 badges. I ended up putting like 5 coats on. It was thick enough that it got between the badge and the body. I used a scalpel to go around the edges but I couldn't really get it to come out clean.

When I did tailgate badges I used 3 coats. These were easier because the letters are larger so the scalpel worked great. Just be sure you make one continuous cut when you go around the letters.

The door badges were the easiest for me. Again, I used 3 coats. There seems to be a larger gap between the door and the badge on these, so I didn't need a scalpel to go around the letters. I just started to peel it off and everything on the door of the truck came off, with the paint still on the letters. I had to use a toothpick to scrape out of the middle of the letters though.

I hope this helps somewhat....
Thanks man it helped a lot in hoping to do it this weekend
Old 02-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reid
RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
I read on another thread that the reason the SR5 and tailgate badges are a little tougher is because they aren't as raised as the ones on the door so it blends more with the truck making it peel off "as one". I also think that me trying to do it in High 30 degree weather may have added a problem. Haha! I guess I'll just have to wait til it's warmer
Old 02-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
ruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to behold

Marines:
Name: Rus
ruslanus's Tacoma Gallery
A little late, but this video helped me a lot.

http://youtu.be/otCtkVePX_0
Old 02-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #9
2k4Taco will become famous soon enough2k4Taco will become famous soon enough

Navy: PO2 USN
Name: Swanny
2k4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome video...
Old 02-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #10

2k4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
How durable is this stuff? And what type of prep does it require?
Old 02-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #11

2k4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
How durable is this stuff? And what type of prep does it require?
Old 02-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #12
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslanus View Post
A little late, but this video helped me a lot.

http://youtu.be/otCtkVePX_0
That guy is a complete retard for not removing the grille before derping it.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #13
ruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to behold

Marines:
For prep, I used rubbing alcohol. Just used a q-tip for all the nooks and crannies and a non lint towel for the smooth surfaces. No need to remove the grill because you only prep the surfaces you want the plasti dip to stay and any over spray just peels off very easily. But really the trick is to give at least four good coats, other vise just like the guy said, you will be removing over spray little by little.

And to remove the plasti dip from inside the letters or any tiny place, I used a wooden tooth pick.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #14

Marines:
as far as durability, this guy has another video on youtube where he takes a power washer to his plasti dipped S4 rims and the grill and it had no affect.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #15
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
No need to remove the grill because you only prep the surfaces you want the plasti dip to stay and any over spray just peels off very easily.
Potentially getting over spray on your radiator seems like a very stupid risk. Removing the grille and spraying it off the car removes all risk from the equation.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #16

Quote:
as far as durability, this guy has another video on youtube where he takes a power washer to his plasti dipped S4 rims and the grill and it had no affect.
That's good to know.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #17

Marines:
I'm sure to protect the radiator from over spray a piece of cardboard will be sufficient. That being said, I would most likely remove my grille