Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What is a used camper shell worth?

Old 02-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
300k96Tacoma is on a distinguished road
300k96Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
What is a used camper shell worth?

I found one for my rc 96 and it came off of a tacoma with a 6 foot bed so it should fit my truck perfect. It is red but I am going to paint it with truck bed liner to match my hood and roof anyway. I think I can get it for 75 bucks. It has all the glass and its tinted as well. I just want to make sure these aren't like dirt cheap for tacomas anyway. It is faded bad but I dont care because I was going to paint anyway. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
H Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Heather
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a good deal to me. I just sold one for 200$ on Craigslist and it was pretty old and beat up.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
There is a difference between a topper for an xtra cab and a regular cab.

The rear of the xtra cab slopes forward versus the reg cab which is more vertical.

The toppers for xtra cabs accommodate the shape of the cab by having a "concave" shape on the front

Old 02-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
oh dang, well here it is what do you think? It looks pretty vertical to me?

http://hickory.craigslist.org/pts/2808325828.html
Old 02-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
DblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DblCabMN's Tacoma Gallery
Price looks about right. bet you could get him a hair lower no problem due to condition.

Ask for a pic or two of it on his Tacoma.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #7
scotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scotrinaf's Tacoma Gallery
If you can get it for $75, jump on it... It will cost $500 - $600 to have it professionally painted to match, or you can do it yourself for a lot less... I paid $1,000 for a used Leer 100XQ that was already painted, he threw in about $200 in extras though.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
Well you were right Madjik man it was off of a ex. cab truck. It actually fit perfect on the sides and the back of the bed but the top just barely rubbed the top of the cab. The bad thing was it hung off the back about 2 inches but I may be able to live with that, I will probably go back and get it this weekend. I mean for 75 bucks I really can't pass it up.

And as far as painting goes I am going to do it myself. I did my hood and roof with truck bed liner when it faded away so I am going to do the same thing to the camper top.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300k96Tacoma View Post
Well you were right Madjik man it was off of a ex. cab truck. It actually fit perfect on the sides and the back of the bed but the top just barely rubbed the top of the cab. The bad thing was it hung off the back about 2 inches but I may be able to live with that, I will probably go back and get it this weekend. I mean for 75 bucks I really can't pass it up.

And as far as painting goes I am going to do it myself. I did my hood and roof with truck bed liner when it faded away so I am going to do the same thing to the camper top.
Interesting.

I would think driving around with that topper rubbing the top of your cab would be a bad thing. Having it barely rub when you were parked (assuming you were parked fitting it) is one thing. But to have the bed/topper moving around a lot while you're actually driving might F up your cab, or paint at the very least.

In my humble opinion, I'd wait for one that actually fits. You can usually find one cheap on craigslist.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
DblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DblCabMN's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah dude, let it pass, hanging off the back and rubbing the cab is bad news bears. Hold out for one that fits right and heck, you may even get the right color. IMHO 2-300$ for the right color in good condition is more than a fair price. Even more if it's mint.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
Yup go for it. I have sold an Xtra cab shell to somebody with a regular cab and it fit just fine. It won't match the cab perfectly, but if you're not picky then it works. 70-100 is the right price for a fibreglass shell.

I bought mine for 50 bucks; it's for a pickup so it's a little lower than the cab but for 50 bucks I am NOT complaining. It fits the bed perfectly and I rattle can it every 2 years or so to keep it relatively matched to the truck. Otherwise it just gets dirty and brownish and smudgey.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #12
I'm not worried about it rubbing my cab, my trucks paint faded completely and I have sprayed the top half of the truck with bed liner type stuff so thats not a big deal to me. And with the top secured good on the sides I dont see how it could be moving much if at all.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300k96Tacoma View Post
And with the top secured good on the sides I dont see how it could be moving much if at all.
The bed moves independently from the cab.

The topper will definitely be secured to the bed very well which means it too will move independently of the cab.

It's your call man, if it was me, I'd wait for a perfect match
Old 02-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #14
misterdmac is on a distinguished road

Name: Doostin
misterdmac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
It's your call man, if it was me, I'd wait for a perfect match
Agreed.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #15
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
I still think you can't go wrong for under a hundred. If you end up not liking it for whatever reason, just list it again for 175 obo and maybe you'll even make money.

I bought a sweet fibreglass wedge-style shell for my first truck for 100 bucks. I ended up not liking how it looked so it sat on blocks under a tree for a year, at which point I listed it on CL for 350 and some girl offered me 300. I took that in a heartbeat, and made 200 for doing essentially nothing.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #16
After over a year looking for a shell I finally found one for a regular cab! I love it, it made the holidays much nicer when traveling. May even use it to camp now!

Old 12-31-2013, 04:30 AM   #17
scotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scotrinaf's Tacoma Gallery
I may be selling my top in the next few days, my potential buyer wants to buy my truck without the shell... It's located in Northeast TN, fell free to PM me if interested...
Attached Thumbnails
What is a used camper shell worth?-truck1.jpg  
Old 12-31-2013, 11:01 AM   #18
Cali 03 Taco is on a distinguished road

Cali 03 Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotrinaf View Post
I may be selling my top in the next few days, my potential buyer wants to buy my truck without the shell... It's located in Northeast TN, fell free to PM me if interested...

I wish I lived closer to u cuz I need one.