Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Question about my air intake

Old 02-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Question about my air intake

I just want opinions here, i might go back to my stock air intake, and take out my K&N. I put in the K&N at 29k, and i'm at 69k now so i'm wondering if it's even worth it or not. And if i can re-sell the K&N?
Old 02-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
What can i expect going back to the stock intake? will it be just as it was? it's been in a storage unit box for couple years.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat View Post
What can i expect going back to the stock intake? will it be just as it was? it's been in a storage unit box for couple years.
You will notice no difference when you put the stock box back in...it will just be quieter.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
jbrandt will become famous soon enough
jbrandt's Tacoma Gallery
Why, too loud?

if you have the stock box, there won't be any difference. Technically, you'll be less efficient, but you probably won't notice, unless you're a *really* meticulous note taker.

I bought mine with the K&N "cold air" intake on it. My main complaint is that it's loud, and seemed to resonate inside the cab when I romped on it. So, I took some exhaust wrap, and wrapped the plastic tube TIGHTLY around it, then wrapped tape over that to keep it together. While it didn't muffle the sound much, if at all, it increased the resonance frequency of the intake to something above the RPMs of the engine when accelerate quickly. So while the dB's didn't really decrease, it didn't resonate anymore which was the most annoying.

Although, it failed visual inspection on a CA SMOG test last year, so I had to take the wrap off. The guy said he couldn't see that it was a CA legal intake (it is, it's just that the wrap/tape covered it up). So just be aware of that if you have similar laws in FL...

I'd like to go back to the stock airbox with a OEM replacement K&N filter, but the recycler wanted like $250 for the OEM airbox!! F that, I'll deal with the noise.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
Blasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blasphemous's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Same noise racket with the afe stage 2 si IMHO...........the in cab resonance was irritating as hell specially with the port open up front.
It sounded like everything in the glove box was rattling, the garage door opener in the overhead bin was bouncing around, and it was annoying as hell.

URD fixed that

Thank you gadget
I have had my afe stage 2 si for quite some time now and I have not had any issues with rattling? Sounds great imho.

I went from stock, to 2nd gen trd to the afe stage 2 si and I like the afe more than the predecessors.