Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Vibration after 2" Lift? Help?

Old 02-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
agrant2312 is on a distinguished road

Name: Austin
agrant2312's Tacoma Gallery
Vibration after 2" Lift? Help?

Just lifted my truck 2" with a daystar lift. Front spacers rear AAL. My steering is also out of line now since i lifted it? What could be causing the vibration it only vibrates at about 30 mph and under. I can feel it in my steering wheel also.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
what kind of lift did you put on?
Old 02-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
Got the exact same thing. Got a alignment, going to get it checked when i do my brakes. Daystar 2.5'' strut spacer lift with rear blocks. Vibrations between 18-25 mph. Not something im too conserned about. I can live with it.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ERS TACOMA View Post
Got the exact same thing. Got a alignment, going to get it checked when i do my brakes. Daystar 2.5'' strut spacer lift with rear blocks. Vibrations between 18-25 mph. Not something im too conserned about. I can live with it.

Same for you, drop the carrier..
Old 02-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #7

Carrier Drop? Got any how to's or anything on it? Oh yeah it also freaking sucked installing it. The U-Bolts have never been taken off in the back and it too a good 2 hours to get them off.

Just google'd it just ordered a kit. Will it damage anything the way it is as of now?
Old 02-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrant2312 View Post
Carrier Drop? Got any how to's or anything on it? Oh yeah it also freaking sucked installing it. The U-Bolts have never been taken off in the back and it too a good 2 hours to get them off.
Theres a couple ways to go about it, you can buy some spacers for it, or you can go a little more advanced & get a carrier drop bracket (more$$)

Or you can find a couple big nuts,3/4"-1" wide (or tall depending how you look at it) make sure they slide over existing bolts, you want them just slightly over sized so they slide over but not thread on to bolts, this is what I did to cure mine..

Wow you must have had a fair amount of thread stretch on them, did they re torque ok ? I'd check tightness again also...
Old 02-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Theres a couple ways to go about it, you can buy some spacers for it, or you can go a little more advanced & get a carrier drop bracket (more$$)

Or you can find a couple big nuts,3/4"-1" wide (or tall depending how you look at it) make sure they slide over existing bolts, you want them just slightly over sized so they slide over but not thread on to bolts, this is what I did to cure mine..

Wow you must have had a fair amount of thread stretch on them, did they re torque ok ? I'd check tightness again also...
All those sound good ill figure something out with it. Yeah there was which was suprizing. I couldn't really torque them down with how hard it was to get them back on. I didn't cross thread them or anything just rust it would have torqued out at the first push.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #10
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
All those sound good ill figure something out with it. Yeah there was which was suprizing. I couldn't really torque them down with how hard it was to get them back on. I didn't cross thread them or anything just rust it would have torqued out at the first push.

Oh man , hate to tell you now, but you need new U bolts. You got BAD thread stretch, you'll never get them to torque, it'll strip out before it gets tight, damn hate when that happens & ya don't want to chance having them being loose (which could also cause vibrations)
Old 02-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #11
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
I doubt a 2'' lift will cause vibes because driveline angles...most likely just needs an alignment.

If the alignment does't cure it, then get a carrier drop...and check out the U-joints
Old 02-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #12
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
I doubt a 2'' lift will cause vibes because driveline angles...most likely just needs an alignment.

If the alignment does't cure it, then get a carrier drop...and check out the U-joints
Absolutely 2" can cause vibe.. & thats why you drop the carrier, to correct drive angle....

& OP I wouldn't do shit until I replaced U bolts
Old 02-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #13

Just dropped the carrier about half an inch and no vibration anymore!!! Got an appointment today at 1 to get it aligned! Thanks guys!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #14
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just dropped the carrier about half an inch and no vibration anymore!!! Got an appointment today at 1 to get it aligned! Thanks guys!
No problem dude, & I'm serious about getting new U bolts, when they thread stretch as bad as yours you are not driving a very safe vehicle, your shit may feel tight but trust me its not...just my $.02