Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

I think my truck is stuck in 4x4...help!

Old 02-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
briandischinger is on a distinguished road
Name: brian
briandischinger's Tacoma Gallery
I think my truck is stuck in 4x4...help!

Sorry, I know this sounds weird but I just bought an 03 ext cab 3.4 trd, the indication light for the 4 wheel drive doesn't come on when the button is depressed, I also don't feel any difference in the driving when i switch on the 4wd. if anybody out there has a 3.4 4x4, are the rpm's supposed to be at 3000 while going 80 on the freeway?
Old 02-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
fadippides is on a distinguished road
fadippides's Tacoma Gallery
Whats it do when you turn a sharp corner?
Old 02-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
Blasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blasphemous's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadippides View Post
Whats it do when you turn a sharp corner?
x2.

If you turn a corner in 4x4 on dry pavement you will feel everything bind up.

I am thinking more so that you are not stuck in 4x4, but you cannot engage it for some reason.

I don't know much about the RPMs on the 1st gens at certain speeds, but I can't imagine that you are too far off from the norm.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
if the light does not come on and you dont feel any shuddering or binding when turning tightly then the 4wd is not engaging, not stuck in 4wd. go into a soft dirt lot, try to put it in 4wd an floor it, you will know if you have 4wd or not then you can go from there. my 4cyl auto reves at about 75 when doing 70ish, i would imagine 80 could be pushing 3k. also may seem obvious but make sure over drive is off, if you have high revs that may be the reason if you dont notice it
Old 02-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
briandischinger is on a distinguished road
Name: brian
briandischinger's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys, i was just wondering if it was normal for the truck to have the rpm's that high under normal conditions (2700 @ 75mph) if that sounds right then I need to look into why the 4wd is not engaging in 4 high... I can definitely feel it when i put it in 4 low.