LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Enclosed trailers blow dash/tail light fuse?

Old 02-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
Black Taco
Beau02 has a spectacular aura aboutBeau02 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Beau
Beau02's Tacoma Gallery
Enclosed trailers blow dash/tail light fuse?

I've done quite a bit of searching around the forum and found lots of posts related to this particular fuse blowing, but haven't found my issue referenced.

The tail and dash lights function just fine with the stock-sized 10-amp fuse. In addition to that, I can hook up regular utility trailers and pull them with the lights on without any problems. But, when I hook up an enclosed trailer the fuse blows after a few minutes with the lights on and I lose my dash & tail lights. I can get by without incident if I swap in a 15-amp fuse, but don't like to go up on fuse sizes.

I've pulled three standard open utility trailers, lights on, without a problem, but I've had the fuse blow with two different enclosed trailers (in between the utility trailer pulls). This leads me to believe it's not a short, but rather just a weak circuit that can't handle the additional lights installed on a typical enclosed trailer.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or has anyone had a similar experience?
Old 03-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
mortifer is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
mortifer's Tacoma Gallery
This same thing happened to me last weekend and stupidly I didn't notice til a few days later driving home at night on the freeway (no trailer).

I wonder is the trailer really pulling too many amps and blowing it? There are only a few running lights on the trailer and the tail lights are LED.

Is it ok to run a 15?
Old 03-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
no time for d-bags
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Bad ground on the trailer
Old 03-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
mortifer is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
mortifer's Tacoma Gallery
Good point, I'll have to check and redo that then.

also, another question- is the tail light wire/circuit large enough to be used for a charge line for the battery in the trailer?

The battery is currently connected to the trailer running light wire with a switch so I can power the inside/outside lights with the truck off/disconnected.
I've been topping it off with a battery tender, but haven't used it for lighting often.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
same432 is on a distinguished road
same432's Tacoma Gallery
Tail lights on cargo trailer blow fuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau02 View Post
I've done quite a bit of searching around the forum and found lots of posts related to this particular fuse blowing, but haven't found my issue referenced.

The tail and dash lights function just fine with the stock-sized 10-amp fuse. In addition to that, I can hook up regular utility trailers and pull them with the lights on without any problems. But, when I hook up an enclosed trailer the fuse blows after a few minutes with the lights on and I lose my dash & tail lights. I can get by without incident if I swap in a 15-amp fuse, but don't like to go up on fuse sizes.

I've pulled three standard open utility trailers, lights on, without a problem, but I've had the fuse blow with two different enclosed trailers (in between the utility trailer pulls). This leads me to believe it's not a short, but rather just a weak circuit that can't handle the additional lights installed on a typical enclosed trailer.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or has anyone had a similar experience?
My 2003 Tacoma does fine with a flat bed trailer.
But the cargo trailer I purchased has 4 tail lights and 12 marker lights.
It blew the 5 amp tail light fuse behind the drivers seat. I changed it to 7.5 and it blew that one too.
I am not sure how much more I can safely increase the size of fuses.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
hossmaster will become famous soon enough
hossmaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by same432 View Post
My 2003 Tacoma does fine with a flat bed trailer.
But the cargo trailer I purchased has 4 tail lights and 12 marker lights.
It blew the 5 amp tail light fuse behind the drivers seat. I changed it to 7.5 and it blew that one too.
I am not sure how much more I can safely increase the size of fuses.
you aren't really fixing the problem. You have an open ground more than likely and if you keep upping the fuse amp size your just asking to burn something down. Find the break in the wire and repair it and be done with it.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
same432's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the help! I was thinking a trailer short somewhere, but when I purchased it,
the previous owner hooked up his Silverado, and the trailer running lights worked.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:56 AM   #8
diesel mechanic
lunch box is on a distinguished road

lunch box's Tacoma Gallery
do the enclosed trailers have more lights like maybe on top of the trailer or something.. more lights means more amps.look up ohms law then add one or two sizes bigger to the wiring.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:58 AM   #9
same432's Tacoma Gallery
Tail lights on cargo trailer blow fuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunch box View Post
do the enclosed trailers have more lights like maybe on top of the trailer or something.. more lights means more amps.look up ohms law then add one or two sizes bigger to the wiring.
Yes, the cargo trailer has clearance lights and this one has 4 tail lights.
I recently found a leak in the roof vent, many suprizes when you purchase used, buyer beware!
This may cause a short as it is close to the interior light.