LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help! Can't separate transmission from engine!

Old 02-14-2012, 01:33 AM   #1
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
Help! Can't separate transmission from engine!

In the middle of a clutch job on my 03 v6 4x4 5spd, finally got everything taken care of, now my trans won't separate from the engine! I really am at a loss, I've removed all 6 bellhousing bolts and completely removed the starter. My truck is a little rusty on some parts, but nothing crazy. I've tried changing the weight distribution of the trans on the trans jack, and have changed the angle a million times trying to seperate everything but have had zero luck.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
First I would double and triple check that all of the bolts are removed. Since you said you pulled 6 bolts then you likey already did that, but it's worth looking again.

IIRC, I had to hit the bellhousing with a hammer to get them to sebarate when I did my clutch a year ago. I used a block over it though in order not to dent the transmission. Also make sure you're pulling straight back and down slightly, which I found difficult to do since I did mine sans vehicle lift.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
Bring Yuengling To MN!
angrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

angrysam's Tacoma Gallery
Probably corroded around a dowel and causing them to stick together. Concentrate penetrating oil around the dowel(s), tap the area with a hammer, grab the trans by the tail and shake the hell out of it. If your not moving the engine on the mounts then you're not shaking it hard enough.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
We are insignificantly importnant in this universe
Codystauffer is on a distinguished road
Name: Cody
Codystauffer's Tacoma Gallery
When i had trouble removing my tranny, it was because there was some sneaky little bolts in random places. When i finally had all of them removed. It was still stuck, so my buddy and just hit it with a hammer and shook it like hell, until she slipped loose and knocked me in the noggin haha.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codystauffer View Post
When i had trouble removing my tranny, it was because there was some sneaky little bolts in random places. When i finally had all of them removed. It was still stuck, so my buddy and just hit it with a hammer and shook it like hell, until she slipped loose and knocked me in the noggin haha.
This^
PB Blaster, and a dead blow hammer or block of wood and normal hammer. Last one I did got free of the dowels but hung on the input shaft. Lots of shaking later, it was out.

Keep your noggin clear
Old 02-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
slo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
slo13zx3's Tacoma Gallery
if the clutch is still hooked up try pushing it in real fast it helps on big trucks
Old 02-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
My father owned a Transmission shop for 40 years, and i spent the better part of child hood there helping. You may have heard of it was called AAMCO!!
Anyway, beat on that sucker with the largest plastic mallet and shake the shit out of the output shaft, it will come loose. Someone above mentioned the dowel pins, more than likely it is those dudes that got you held up. Seriously, giver hell, you wont hurt anything unless you drop it off the lift.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
jeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jesse
jeepdude's Tacoma Gallery
don't whack it with ballpeen...use a rubber hammer. I've had luck with the stomp on the clutch trick too
Old 02-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
scotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scotrinaf's Tacoma Gallery
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer...
Old 02-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like your just hung up on the pins/dowels Dont be afraid to get a thin bladed screwdriver or punch & a mallet & aggressively "tap" the end of it & start a small "wedging" in a couple spots between trans & engine/bell housing it'll make seperating a snap. Keep in mind also that the output shaft of trans is fairly long but I dont think its caught up in the pilot bushing...
Old 02-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
Get a prybar between the motor and the trans, pry and it will seperate, but pry a little 180 degrees from each other so it wont bind. And also go and step on the clutch pedal a couple of times, that tries to spit them too.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:21 PM   #12
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
HOLY SHIT I FINALLY GOT IT!!!

That was by far the most difficult single task I've ever done. That shit was really really really stuck on there. I'm not some tiny weak dude either. I'm a lean 180lbs and pretty athletic. I shook that shit soooooo hard for hours and nothin. Finally what I think made the difference for me was prying underneath by through the hole left by the inspection plate on the bottom. Then lots of penetrating oil and rotating between prying at 2 terribly obstructed locations, shaking the shit out of it, raising and lowering the trans jack, prying, shaking, etc. The shaking/pulling didn't seem to do anything really until towards the end when the prying had done 80+% of the job.

My clutch/pressure plate actually look better than I expected. Since shortly after I bought the truck about 2 years ago, the clutch started getting super grabby and resisted ANY slipping. At first it was only when cold and/or wet, then eventually got to the point where it was all of the time and recently got really bad.

Really close to the rivets, but not quite

Flywheel lookin HOT!

Pressure plate too.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Help! Can't separate transmission from engine!-2012-02-14-22.43.17.jpg   Help! Can't separate transmission from engine!-2012-02-14-22.39.39.jpg   Help! Can't separate transmission from engine!-2012-02-14-22.38.44.jpg  
Old 02-15-2012, 04:27 AM   #13
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Make sure you get the flywheel resurfaced and inspected.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Make sure you get the flywheel resurfaced and inspected.
lol, for sure, already did. Looking at everything I think the heat checking was the main cause of the issues.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #16
exedy OE
Old 02-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #17
The heat checking is a symptom, not a cause. When the clutch starts slipping, it overheats and glazes the friction pads. The blue marks on the pressure plate and flywheel were the hot spots.
Hopefully, you had a good machinist to fix the flywheel.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
The heat checking is a symptom, not a cause. When the clutch starts slipping, it overheats and glazes the friction pads. The blue marks on the pressure plate and flywheel were the hot spots.
Hopefully, you had a good machinist to fix the flywheel.
That's the weird thing. I NEVER felt the clutch slip. Not even a little bit. It was really grabby/choppy when engaging, but never slipped when engaged and hitting the gas pedal.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #19
96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

96Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shampoop View Post
That's the weird thing. I NEVER felt the clutch slip. Not even a little bit. It was really grabby/choppy when engaging, but never slipped when engaged and hitting the gas pedal.
I have the same problem. it feels grabby when releasing it.

Let me know if changing the clutch fixed it
Old 02-22-2012, 12:54 AM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Taco View Post
I have the same problem. it feels grabby when releasing it.

Let me know if changing the clutch fixed it
Yea, mine would grab so hard it would just try to stall the truck instantly.

After the new clutch and resurfaced flywheel it drives like a million bucks!