Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Just did tundra brake swap & 2.5 inch coilover lift. Anyone recommendations on rims?

Old 02-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
beefsteak is on a distinguished road
beefsteak's Tacoma Gallery
Just did tundra brake swap & 2.5 inch coilover lift. Anyone recommendations on rims?

I just did the tundra the tundra brake swap on my '03 ext cab tacoma 4x4 TRD. It's pretty tight in there with the stock rims. My tires are pretty worn and I'm thinking about upgrading my 265/75/16 tires for a whole new wheel and rim setup. There's a part of me that wants to go with a more agressive larger tire like 285/75/16, but I'm not sure what the best bet is especially since I still have stock UCAs. If I don't want to have to use spacers, what minimum back spacing do I have to have to avoid frame rub and UCA rub to run the 285/75/16s? And should I stick with 16inch rims or upgrade to 17s? I just don't want to buy 16inch rims online to find out that they don't clear the calipers and I'll end up with UCA and frame rub. Any of you guys with minor lifts and have done the tundra brake swap have any ideas? I was looking at the Dick Cepec DC-2 16is with 4 inch backspacing... but I really like the look of the wheeler's steelies, but I just want something more durable in alloy that's flat black and not chromed out, but everything that I've seen so far has around 4.5inch backspace which I'm afraid I'll have trouble with rub issues...Thanks in advance
Old 02-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Those calipers should be fine with a 16" wheel. I have some 16X8 wheels with 4.5 BS and 285/75/16 A/t's and it rubbed the frame at full lock. It was really close to the uca too. If you go to a 17" wheel, you'll have to get something with 3.75-4" BSing because it will be a taller tire.