Need Help : to SAS or keep IFS

View Poll Results: What to do?
SAS with fj80 axle 12 15.19%
Build the IFS and buy the 82 trail rig 45 56.96%
Supercharge with all the goodies 5 6.33%
Just sit on the money 17 21.52%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
alove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Adam
alove0750's Tacoma Gallery
Need Help : to SAS or keep IFS

I have a 01 Tacoma with 130K. I have purchased Icon UCA's and new lower ball joints. I have had them for a week or two now. Well after seeing what kind of money I will be getting back on taxes, along with some play money I have saved up I have gotten bit by a couple different bugs.

I had intended to just build a really solid IFS for now and maybe SAS in the future when I could afford a newer vehicle. Well I know have the money for the SAS. The only bad thing is I would be restricted to one vehicle is something were to break on the trail, etc...

My other option is to buy my buddies truck he just finished and use it as a tough trail rig. It is an 82 Toyota in great shape, 5in lift, 35x10.50 SSR's, high steer, 5.29's, locked, the whole nine yards.

If I were to SAS I would adapt it to a right hand drive, gear driven case (located) with a fj80 axle, possibly e-locked(located) and I'm between springs or just having it linked. Any input would be great.

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
I would say go with the 82. It would be awesome to have a wheeling only rig.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Trail rig, a SAS goes hand in hand with wheelin the piss out of your truck, wouldn't really want to do that with a DD.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
IMO I would get the 82, and if it's the green one we wheeled with it already runs on propane IIRC, which is extra nice. If I could do it again, I would've bought a trail rig and built it the way I wanted, exo cage, toob bed, the whole 9. Flop it over, winch it back and keep rolling. Can't do that in a DD.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
alove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Nah, it's not the green one... that would be my dream ride though

The only downside to an old school yota is no A/C which is nice on those hot days. However, I think you can put A/C on it with a lil work. I like the idea of the SAS Tacoma, it has all the nice things about wheeling, A/C, room, power everything... but if something does happen I'm shit out of luck till it can be fixed.

Worst case, just take the Tacoma for camping trips and the 82 would be nice to just straight up wheel.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not putting a solid axle under something until I'm ready to roll it.

Your taco has at least another 100,000mi in it. I'd keep it a clean truck good for easy to moderate wheeling (Uwharrie type stuff) and pick up something cheap and beat to shit for trail purposes. How much is your buddy askin on the '82?
Old 02-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
get the 82, use your taco to tow it. trail only rig, so even if you do flop it or break somethin your not out of a truck. and for a ac get a ice chest, fill it with ice, cut a hole in the top and put a fan there lol
Old 02-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #9
Phuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
Phuket's Tacoma Gallery
suprised long travel isn't on the poll
Old 02-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #11
Phuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
Phuket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacooon View Post
That's probably vote number two on building up on the ifs
ahhh i see, i just skimmed lol
Old 02-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #12
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
How much money we talking about? If you want a DD SAS taco to perform the trails and road properly you're looking at over 10k.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuket View Post
suprised long travel isn't on the poll
Long travel is generally useless on the east coast when compared with the other options.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #15
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Long travel is generally useless on the east coast when compared with the other options.
Im gonna put it to the test here in a few months
Old 02-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #16
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Or you could build the ifs and put in a crawlbox
Old 02-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Taco 22 View Post
Im gonna put it to the test here in a few months
You'll have less trouble than the rest of us out of it, because you have a narrower truck with the 1st gen.

2gens are hard to squeeze through a lot of stuff at stock track width. I can't imagine adding 4".

The extra flex up front will be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-4_Yota View Post

Not sure how much building you can do with the stock IFS...I'd think the upper limit is somewhere around 35s, because anything bigger with a locker and you're probably gonna start toasting axles left and right, or possibly the front R + P.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
How much money we talking about? If you want a DD SAS taco to perform the trails and road properly you're looking at over 10k.
no way...

$400 for gear driven case adapter
$100 for gear driven case
$449-$549 for case gears
$1200 in the axle + parts
$290 for the oil pan kit

Total - $2539

The rest would be pieced together and labor wont be too bad.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #19
The Welfare Cadilac

LT's for bro's..... brah.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-4_Yota View Post

I like the way you think