Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4x4 engaged light won't turn off

Old 02-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
futuretacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: First Responder, Primary Care Paramedic, Advanced EMT
Name: Andrew
futuretacoowner's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 engaged light won't turn off

On my 2002 my 4x4 engaged light won't turn off when I go from 4x4 to 4x2. Anyone ever have this happen? Anyone know how to fix it?
Old 02-16-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
NicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nic
NicNac22's Tacoma Gallery
do you have it completely disengaged? mine did that the other day i didnt have it completly off, i was still in 4x4 even though it didnt feel like it
Old 02-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
futuretacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicNac22 View Post
do you have it completely disengaged? mine did that the other day i didnt have it completly off, i was still in 4x4 even though it didnt feel like it
I tried re-disengaging it, but it kept on doing it.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
NicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

did you re-engage, drive for a second and disengage again?
Old 02-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #5

Quote:
did you re-engage, drive for a second and disengage again?
Yup, I use 4x4 almost daily right now due to an uphill and icy driveway, and this has been going on since last week.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #6
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

oohhhh....i dunno then sorry

electrical? does the 4x4 feel like its engaged still? or just the light stays on?
Old 02-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #7

Quote:
oohhhh....i dunno then sorry

electrical? does the 4x4 feel like its engaged still? or just the light stays on?
I am leaning on electrical, I have had a few other little electrical problems lately mainly with my lights though. definatly goes into 4x2.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

hmm you have to wait on someone that knows electrical then, maybe a wire or connection is bad somewhere. If its in 4x2 ide say its ok. but im not toyota mechanic.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLharry View Post
Have you confirmed that you get back into 2WD? Like drive up your driveway and see if you slip?
Otherwise you are right that its an electrical issue.
Yup my driveway is like a sheet of ice, can barely get up it in 2wd but goes up nice in 4wd, so its easy for me to see that its in 2wd
Old 02-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #11
TacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet -11B
Name: Randy
TacoRan's Tacoma Gallery
Sometimes I have to put mine in reverse and back up slowly a few feet before it will disengage. This happens when I've been in 4wd all day in muddy conditions. ( I used it alot on construction sites for work.)

The procedure I follow is I drive foreward slowly and put it back into 4wd, then back to 2wd while still moving. I stop, put the truck into reverse and back up slowly. The light then goes out.

Sorry if you already tried this.