Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Likely totaled truck...i want the damn tailgate though!

Old 02-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
el dudarino is on a distinguished road

el dudarino's Tacoma Gallery
Likely totaled truck...i want the damn tailgate though!

I was going through an intersection and some lady heading in the opposite direction thought it would be a good idea to turn left in front of me at the last minute. Well...my truck is probably going to be totaled and I'm going tomorrow to get my stuff out of it and want the tailgate to hang in my barn. What tools do I need to remove that? The shitty thing is I almost had it payed off. I walked away though with a fractured thumb (don't ask me how the fuck that happened) and a sprained neck.
Attached Thumbnails
Likely totaled truck...i want the damn tailgate though!-img00765-20120215-1342.jpg  
Old 02-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
Tortoise*
IndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: AJ
IndigoTac07's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear, glad your mainly ok
Old 02-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
Taco Erik has much to be proud ofTaco Erik has much to be proud ofTaco Erik has much to be proud ofTaco Erik has much to be proud ofTaco Erik has much to be proud ofTaco Erik has much to be proud ofTaco Erik has much to be proud ofTaco Erik has much to be proud ofTaco Erik has much to be proud ofTaco Erik has much to be proud of

Name: Erik
Taco Erik's Tacoma Gallery
stupid bitch! hope shes buying you another taco!
Old 02-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
TAKE IT FROM ME, GO TO A GOOD LAWYER, AND DOCTOR.
I HAVE NEVER CAUSED A WRECK, BUT BEEN IN TWO AND BEING NICE DOES NOT MATTER.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
Shake and Bake
4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jefferson
4wd Boss's Tacoma Gallery
bitches cant drive.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
The tailgates on the 2nd gen just pop right off. Is the 1st gen the same?

That being said, before I'd remove any parts, make sure it's cool with the insurance company. Sure have been a lot of crashes and totalled trucks lately
Old 02-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Erik View Post
stupid bitch! hope shes buying you another taco!
yeah...no shit. I wanted to choke a bitch. I haven't even hit 100 posts lol I don't know if I'm going to get another taco or a 4 door Rubicon. Help me tacoma world!
Old 02-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
first gens have 2 bolts holding the tailgate on..think there either a 13 or 15mm..Then pop the cables off
Old 02-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by el dudarino View Post
I don't know if I'm going to get another taco or a 4 door Rubicon.
BLASHPHEMY!
Old 02-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertgeejr1 View Post
TAKE IT FROM ME, GO TO A GOOD LAWYER, AND DOCTOR.
I HAVE NEVER CAUSED A WRECK, BUT BEEN IN TWO AND BEING NICE DOES NOT MATTER.
Yeah...me and my wife were discussing that tonight. I don't want to get rich, but I also don't want this to cost me anything other than my time. I will be calling a lawyer on monday. They had me in the ambulance the whole time and asked if I wanted them to take me to the hospital. I said yes...the lady and her passenger both declined medical treatment.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
BLASHPHEMY!
I did ask for help
Old 02-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
ALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Senior Airman
Name: Andrew
ALawrence's Tacoma Gallery
funny i did the same thing when i wrecked my first toyota pick up. i know its held on with two bolts... dont know the size.. somewhere near 1/2in... but in metic.. then two phillips screws on the cable...

i had actually taken my tail gate off and had a bed net own when i wrecked it... so i didnt have to ask the insurace company about keeping it... i let my buddy barrow the tail gate then... and he left it in his parents house.. think it got thrown in a dumpster...
Old 02-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
If you like driving on the Highway stick with the Taco. Jeeps are fun, but highway performance sucks.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #14
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
I will make this short, I am now 48 and have been driving since i was 15, alot since 16, but was helping a now ex friend in 2001 and he pulled right out in front of a car doing 45 and the police wrote him 2 tickets. Now he had the airbag and was not hurt, and the van was totaled, but I only had the belt, and had 12 bruised ribs. I could not walk or breath for 3 days, and sneezing was a new experice in pain, and I tried to be nice, and deal with state farm, but it took 4 YEARS, GETTING A LAWYER AND SUEING MY FRIEND JUST TO GET THEM TO PAY FOR MY HOSPITAL BILL. The police called the ambulance and all state farm would ask, was why did you use a ampulance? they wanted to settle for 1000.00 and the hospital bill was 7800.00. It was bullshit.
20/20 did a special on how they will dick you around on things just to try to get you to go away.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #15
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
the tailgate bolts are 14mm's one on each side
Old 02-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #16
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Im not going to comment on the legal issues with insurance companies etc, but to get the tail gate off you dont need any tools. Open it and unhook the side cables, the hold it about half open and you can lift one side up of the hinge, then the other side will slide out. Its pretty easy and you shouldnt have an issue understanding once you look at it.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #17
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by el dudarino View Post
I walked away though with a fractured thumb (don't ask me how the fuck that happened)
Probably because you had your thumb wrapped around the steering wheel and the airbag went off? I heard somewhere we're supposed to retrain ourselves to leave our thumbs on the outside of the wheel for that reason.

Glad you are mostly okay.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #18
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
i am starting to think we need a separate section for "Totaled Tacos." i think this is like the tenth totaled taco in like a week.

OP, glad you are OK - relatively speaking. sorry about your truck. hope you stick with another taco, but rubicons are great. i traded one in to get my taco, but i do miss it.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #19
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
I hope I never need the front bumper guard but I'm glad it's there. At least it's something.
Attached Thumbnails
Likely totaled truck...i want the damn tailgate though!-photo0951.jpg   Likely totaled truck...i want the damn tailgate though!-photo0930.jpg  
Old 02-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #20
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Im not going to comment on the legal issues with insurance companies etc, but to get the tail gate off you dont need any tools. Open it and unhook the side cables, the hold it about half open and you can lift one side up of the hinge, then the other side will slide out. Its pretty easy and you shouldnt have an issue understanding once you look at it.
my trucks different