Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Spark Plugs and Wires

Old 02-17-2012, 02:09 AM   #1
Afraz is on a distinguished road
Afraz's Tacoma Gallery
Spark Plugs and Wires

Hey Guys,

I am looking to do a tuneup, i got carried away with the cosmetics of my truck. And figured i better get on top of it before i end up buying useless things and spending all my money.

I was told to get E3 spark plugs, Amazon has em listed for 5.95 for each + shipping.

But i went to a PENN Parts store and they reccomended i go with an NGK Iridium for 15 dollars Each + an NGK spark plug wire combo about 200 bucks total for 6 wires and 6 iriduim plugs.

Does anyone know anything about spark plugs and wires ?

I was on a Southern Ontario Tacoma forum, and a guy there said to go for the E3 spark plugs because they have somethign special about em, and to buy Taylors spark plug wires.

Anywho, my question is. What is the BEST SPARK PLUG / Wire combo that i can get for my Tacoma ?

Also what else should i look forward to getting done, tuneup wise.

I heard about getting a K&N air filter / intake kit at about 500-600 bucks. But is it really worth all this cash ? does it really drastically reduce your fuel consumption and increase performance ?

Do you also need to couple that with a Magnaflow exhaust system ?

Thanks
Old 02-17-2012, 06:12 AM   #2
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
OEM plugs and wires, save your cash on the K&N and the exhaust the only change as far as those last 2 items, you will notice is your wallet will be a little lighter, not enough of a performance or gas mileage change to even notice, my $0.02!!!!!!!
Old 02-17-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You don't have spark plug wires. Also E3 is junk. OEM plugs are the best.

K&N intakes are junk. Search deckplate mod.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
lil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant future

Name: Jacen
lil J's Tacoma Gallery
denso plugs & ngk wires are the only way to go
Old 02-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
scotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scotrinaf's Tacoma Gallery
You have coil packs if memory serves me correctly, this means $90/each if you really want to replace them which you don't unless the truck is missing on a cylinder... So, you don't have plug wires...

Just replace the plugs with standard NGK spark plugs...
Old 02-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
Afraz is on a distinguished road
Afraz's Tacoma Gallery
I dont even have wires in there - lol i feel dumb now :P

Coils eh, no i am not missing anything, least i don't know of anything. If i was the check engine should come on i guess.

Thanks for the "truth about spark plugs post"

I will stick to NGK Iridums, or Denso (will do some research on the Denso's)
Old 02-18-2012, 12:32 AM   #8
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
All that shit is hype engineered to empty your wallet. Use stock Densos (see attached). These are for the V6.

Put in a fresh stock air filter (Napa Gold is good), clean the MAF and throttle body, new stock plugs. That's all the tuneup there is on these trucks. Deck plate mod if you want to add around 8 hp max, if you even notice it.
Attached Thumbnails
Spark Plugs and Wires-dsc08566.jpg  
Old 02-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
trdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdracing5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil J View Post
denso plugs & ngk wires are the only way to go
I Second that...Denso plugs and NGK wires
Old 02-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #10
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
I run NGK. And idk who said you dont have plug wires but yes you do have plug wires.

You have 3 total that run from the coil packs on the passenger side of your rig to the plugs on the drivers side.

I recently replaced my plugs, plug wires, all my belts. And only paid 90$ for everything but i did get a discount cause my buddy works at the parts story but $200 sounds way high for just plugs and wires.
Let me know if you got anymore questions.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
sportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
sportsterchop200's Tacoma Gallery
What's the part number for the NGK wires?
Old 04-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #12
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterchop200 View Post
What's the part number for the NGK wires?
http://www.partsgeek.com/9qfqst2-toy...-wire-set.html
Old 04-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #13
sportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
$27 sounds like a good deal. I just need one of those NGK sets wright (#4412)? Then 6 Denso K16TR11 correct.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #14
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsterchop200 View Post
$27 sounds like a good deal. I just need one of those NGK sets wright (#4412)? Then 6 Denso K16TR11 correct.
Not exactly sure what the 4412 is but you just need one of those sets that I linked. (only 3 wires for our V6s - the other three are coils)

And I'm not sure on what the Denso part number is either. I just went to the dealer for mine. It was $18 or so for all 6.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #15
Thanks, the #4412 is apparently the most commonly used number for the NGK wires, they are also labeled as TE66 and W0133-1742072. The Denso K16TR11 plug number I got from someone elses post. But thanks for your assistance.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #16
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
Go to Napa, get NGK or Napa Gold everything. Napa gold filters are good too (WIX)
Old 04-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #17
My local NAPA closed a few months ago but thanks for the info.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:15 AM   #18
CBR1000RR is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
CBR1000RR's Tacoma Gallery
I will be going to napa for an air filter. How much are they at NAPA?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #19
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
1st generation tacos do have wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afraz View Post
I dont even have wires in there - lol i feel dumb now :P

Coils eh, no i am not missing anything, least i don't know of anything. If i was the check engine should come on i guess.

Thanks for the "truth about spark plugs post"

I will stick to NGK Iridums, or Denso (will do some research on the Denso's)
Well I know the 2001 3.4 v6 has 3 wires that wrap around and connect to the coil packs on the other 3 spark plugs. The newer model V6's have 6 individual coils on each spark plug. I guess it's nice not to have to deal with wires but bet each coil is pricey.

As for spark plugs and wires I've usually gone for Platinum plugs and NGK wires. Plugs have always done well and last a very long time. Wires typically do not go bad because they r built to last. Since its recommended I have changed mine once and that was after 10 years. Spark plugs, yeah they should be changed especially if its missing out.