Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Worn out leafs.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
poseytaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Nicholas
poseytaco's Tacoma Gallery
Worn out leafs.

Can anyone post pics of what a stock leaf pack should look like that's in good shape. I think mine is worn out, flat maybe frowning a little. My truck is a 2000 reg cab 4 cyl. It only has 70,000 miles can't imagine it is already shot. Don't want to aal if it is worn out.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by poseytaco View Post
Can anyone post pics of what a stock leaf pack should look like that's in good shape. I think mine is worn out, flat maybe frowning a little. My truck is a 2000 reg cab 4 cyl. It only has 70,000 miles can't imagine it is already shot. Don't want to aal if it is worn out.
Well your imagination is probably spot on, for as good as Tacomas are in most every area, they have been plagued with shit leaf springs since 1995.5 the beginning years of the Tacoma, put up a couple pics if ya can...
Old 02-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Heres a pic of my stock springs off the truck, you look at them & think "Hmmm, they have arc they must be good." But they are sacked, put them on & they "frown" on both ends....

Old 02-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
Name: Terry
brelandt's Tacoma Gallery
yep Doug's fix worked for me. Until that is I removed them because I wanted better MPG that never really happened...long story. Even after removing the extra leaf my stock leafs are back into shape. I believe running the extra leaf in a way re-arched the spring and now they have a nice arch. They use to sit flat on the OL but now there is a 1/2 air gap between the 2. It's been 20K miles since I removed them and they are still nice. Also the top of the tire was even with the top of the frame rail and now I have about an 1" or so of frame rail over the top of the tires without any lift at all.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brelandt View Post
yep Doug's fix worked for me. Until that is I removed them because I wanted better MPG that never really happened...long story. Even after removing the extra leaf my stock leafs are back into shape. I believe running the extra leaf in a way re-arched the spring and now they have a nice arch. They use to sit flat on the OL but now there is a 1/2 air gap between the 2. It's been 20K miles since I removed them and they are still nice. Also the top of the tire was even with the top of the frame rail and now I have about an 1" or so of frame rail over the top of the tires without any lift at all.

Wow, it actually re shaped huh, go figure....

You went with the Dodge Dakota springs if I recall Terry is this correct ?

If anyone has noticed how low the Dakota sits in stock form & yet some have a 3/4 ton rating, those Dodge springs are noticably thicker and really stiff, wonder how long your stockers will hold up . Let me know buddy, real curious , thanks...
Old 02-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
Name: Terry
brelandt's Tacoma Gallery
yep off of a 90 v6 long bed single cab. They are on the floor of the garage waiting on me to do something with. With my truck weighing in at only 3200 pounds they are just a little too stiff for my needs. Might give them a good home to someone on TW?
Old 02-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
poseytaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Nicholas
poseytaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks 4wd.
I will post some pics this weekend. I did take some measurements and the rear sags about an inch. I have a shell on, but I had the same shell on my 99. It didn't sag and had twice the miles. Looking at the Dakar leaf pack, but seems like I would get to much lift in the rear if paired with ome 881s and ome shocks all around.