Title says it all.
I have this strange chirping, squeaking, screeching, sound coming from my both of my front wheels. I have a 2002 Prerunner, Non -TRD.
I jacked it up the other day, and yesterday, to see if I could figure out what the problem was and I found a couple of things:
1) BOTH of the front wheels are rather hard to turn when off of the ground, moreso the passenger side than the driver side. After spraying some WD-40 on the rotors it made it a little easier to spin.
2) I found it rather easy to move the wheel side to side, but here's the kicker, when I would move it, it would move the other wheel also and it would lock the steering wheel in place, but when I tried to move it again, it would move much less but it also would move the steering wheel ever so slightly. So I can't fully rule out a bad ball joint but it doesn't seem to be the problem.
3) When I'm driving, there is a faint squeak of the wheels, and when I gently, and I mean GENTLY apply the brakes, it squeaks much louder. When I apply the brakes harder, the sound stops and returns when at the end of a completed stop. Obviously it goes away when I stop.
5) I found that when I took my Driver-Side front wheel off the bolts that fix the wheel into place were rather easy to move, left and right that is. Not quite sure if they moved in and out though..
6) I found that the McGard locking lug nut keys are very shady and they tend to break... So I can't really do anything to get the locks off now, and I also have to register the locking lug nuts with McGard and spend $15 on a new key. Needless to say, I'm rather UNimpressed with their OVERLY PRICED products.
Those are the things that I found. Now my question is, what do you think it could be? Keep in mind that I did replace the front brakes less than 5k miles ago. Yes, I did do the job myself and I felt everything went rather well, and my stepfather would likely agree.
As for the locking lug nuts, anyone know a cheap way to get them off?
I do still have the factory set that came with the truck, but there's only 3 of them since Hibdon Tire lost 1. They did however buy me a new set free of charge.
Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated.