Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Headers, supercharger, and other performance questions?

Old 02-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
cheetoz is on a distinguished road
cheetoz's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Headers, supercharger, and other performance questions?

Hey everyone well I have this completely stock 2001 tacoma 3.4l 5vzfe extracab MANUAL TRANSMISSION. I want to tune up the performace. I'm getting the supercharger for sure, as well as the injector kit, and possibly do the air intake box mod too. I wanted to know which headers would be the best for my truck? doug thorely? Best fit and sounding exhaust system?intercooler?radiator?fan? I'm open for any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Headers, supercharger, and other performance questions?-photo.jpg  
Old 02-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
atvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant future

Name: Chris
atvlifestyle's Tacoma Gallery
probably just depends what you are really going to do with the truck. I would get the supercharger, URD 7th injector, and a good catback exhaust. Just my 2 cents but those were the 3 mods that made the biggest difference. Personally i'm not sure the headers were worth it and the air intake just makes for other problems. And I do have all this stuff and more on my truck and have for some time.

like I said just my 2 cents.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
cheetoz's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks man. Nice truck. Whered you get your bumper from or was it cystom made?
Old 02-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
atvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetoz View Post
Thanks man. Nice truck. Whered you get your bumper from or was it cystom made?

It started out as an allpro and then I had it modified by a shop near me. here is a link to more info http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...-modified.html
Old 02-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
The deckplate mod if you are referring to modding the intake box is helpful and cheap. Also a electric fan for the radiator will free up some HP. If you really want performance and want to spend money go to LCEngineering.com
Old 02-20-2012, 06:10 AM   #7
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Yep you got it.

SC, URD 7th injector kit, And a slight exhaust upgrade, deckplate mod, and electric fans are about as best you can do. Could get a URD SC pulley wheel too.

Headers aren't worth it IMO.

if you really want to go crazy and make way more power, Turbo it. But that'll take TONs more time, money, work, and knowledge.
headers may be worth it w/ a S/C. If your going to spend $$$$ on a S/C...mind as well throw on headers!
Old 02-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #8
cheetoz's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks yall for the Advice. Do you guys know where i can purchase the installation kit of a s/c? I just need the kit i found someone who is selling just the sc unit and carb for $800.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #9
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetoz View Post
Thanks yall for the Advice. Do you guys know where i can purchase the installation kit of a s/c? I just need the kit i found someone who is selling just the sc unit and carb for $800.
carb?
Old 02-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #11
4runner Troll
SCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
SCRunner12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Yep you got it.

SC, URD 7th injector kit, And a slight exhaust upgrade, deckplate mod, and electric fans are about as best you can do. Could get a URD SC pulley wheel too.

Headers aren't worth it IMO.

if you really want to go crazy and make way more power, Turbo it. But that'll take TONs more time, money, work, and knowledge.
A turbo wouldn't necessarily cost a ton more. There is a guy on t4r.org that turbo'd his 4runner for around $600. It's all in his build thread here. http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ld-thread.html
Old 02-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #12
PkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of light
Name: David
PkTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
This ^^.

Also, $800 for a supercharger sounds way too cheap. It's either a scam or there's something wrong with it. Caveat emptor.
I brought my S/C for 600 dollers and a tactical light that $200 price tag that I brought for $100. Works like a charn. There are some good deals out there.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #13
cheetoz's Tacoma Gallery
TRD's 3.4-liter V6 Supercharger kit -

http://slo.craigslist.org/cto/2828745743.html
This is the posting lemme know what you guys think. Please and thanks.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #14
PkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of light
PkTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like you'll still need a gasket and the belt. I don't know what that thing on the left of the picture is supposed to be.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PkTaco View Post
Looks like you'll still need a gasket and the belt. I don't know what that thing on the left of the picture is supposed to be.

Looks like its missing the tensioner and the brackets for the cables and what is stated above. Been a long time since I put mine on so I dont remember what else.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #16
PkTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvlifestyle View Post
Looks like its missing the tensioner and the brackets for the cables and what is stated above. Been a long time since I put mine on so I dont remember what else.
True, its missing parts thats for sure. Email him and see if he has them though. It can't hurt.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #17
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRunner12 View Post
A turbo wouldn't necessarily cost a ton more. There is a guy on t4r.org that turbo'd his 4runner for around $600. It's all in his build thread here. http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ld-thread.html
Yep seen this. And its not bad at all really...but WAY cheap parts..i wouldn't run that turbo, waste gate, or BOV ever haha cheap ass china ebay shit.

But i am going to be doing this same thing here this summer..just with better parts..
Old 02-20-2012, 10:21 PM   #18
cheetoz's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I emailed him and he said what you see is what you get.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #19
cheetoz's Tacoma Gallery
Suspension wise, I am most definetley going to put on ome suspension kit. but what is the difference between the heavy duty vs light?