Notices

what is over drive even for!

Old 02-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
2002macdonald will become famous soon enough

Firefighter: truck commander
Name: Ryan
2002macdonald's Tacoma Gallery
what is over drive even for!

In my 2002 taco i have the over drive option and i turn it on and off some times but don't notice much difference. i looked it up and the only thing i got was it gives you an extra gear how is that possible...
Old 02-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002macdonald View Post
In my 2002 taco i have the over drive option and i turn it on and off some times but don't notice much difference. i looked it up and the only thing i got was it gives you an extra gear how is that possible...
Old 02-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #4

yeah the rpms go from like 4 to 2 1/2 but is that all it does
Old 02-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty much. It just helps with towing/MPG
Old 02-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Um... That's what it's supposed to do.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overdrive_(mechanics)
Quote:
Overdrive (OD) is a term used to describe a mechanism that allows an automobile to cruise at sustained speed with reduced engine RPM, leading to better fuel economy, lower noise and lower wear.[1] Use of the term is confused, as it is applied to several different, but related, meanings.[1]
Old 02-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You expecting a fucking rocket to pop out of the bed, Vin Diesel to jump in your open window into the passenger seat with a bottle of NOS hook it up while Mario Andriette straps a supercharger under the hood?
Old 02-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
You expecting a fucking rocket to pop out of the bed, Vin Diesel to jump in your open window into the passenger seat with a bottle of NOS hook it up while Mario Andriette straps a supercharger under the hood?
Old 02-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^Don't forget the laptop you have to tinker with halfway down the quarter mile.

"Overdrive" is the 4th gear in the 1st gen. Taco. "Overdrive off" restricts the transmission to use gears 1-3.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #11

alright karzie sj hey are u an emt?
Old 02-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What you are describing is the power take-off (PTO) function, which is only found on commercial trucks.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #13
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Quote:
What you are describing is the power take-off (PTO) function, which is only found on commercial trucks.
My old man has tractors with PTO. I never knew thats what it did!
Old 02-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #14
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
"Overdrive" is the 4th gear in the 1st gen. Taco. "Overdrive off" restricts the transmission to use gears 1-3.
Pretty sure the Trucks have 4spd w/ OD transmissions...meaning that there's 4 gears...then overdrive. So OD is 5th gear actually.

But I wouldn't know too much about it because I have a real transmission (INB4 hate).
Old 02-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #15
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
All other gears reduce your engine output (ie, your engine is spinning faster than your tranny). Great for power/acceleration but poor gas mileage. Your OD gear is a big freaken gear that spins faster than your engine. Great for gas mileage but poor for towing, hauling, and accelerating. Its for cruising down the highway.

The reason you have an option to turn it off is because sometimes while hauling, towing, or hill driving, your tranny down and up shifts frequently, constantly switching between power and gas mileage. By turning it off, you eliminate this.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #16
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLharry View Post
Pretty sure the Trucks have 4spd w/ OD transmissions...meaning that there's 4 gears...then overdrive. So OD is 5th gear actually.

But I wouldn't know too much about it because I have a real transmission (INB4 hate).
No, I believe its a 4sp (4th being OD). If you pay close attention to the shifts, you see 5 RPM drops, but I think the 5th is your lockup clutch. I could be wrong though.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #17
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I'm working right now. Sup?
Old 02-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #18
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
I'm working right now. Sup?
2002macdonald - "It burns when I pee. What should I do?"
Old 02-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #20
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLharry View Post

Some of us A) Already have a 5speed as daily driver and B) require to tow, which auto trannies GENERALLY allow for a higher towing rate/capacity.

Besides that in my particular case, I'm accident prone, and driving a 5speed with a cast is a biatch!