1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New fuel pump won't pump

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by SWCO, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Feb 19, 2012 at 6:23 PM
    SWCO

SWCO [OP] New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 3.4 V6
    I've got a 2000 Tacoma that I just replaced the fuel pump in. I can hear the new pump come on, but it is not pumping fuel. I have taken the fuel line apart just outside of the tank and tried to turn the engine over. When doing this, I do not get any fuel coming out of the line. I tested the pump prior to installing it, so I know it was getting power. I did not submerge it in fuel to see if it actually pumped though. I connected the wires correctly to the pump (according to the directions that came with the pump) so it is not running backwards. What could the problem be?:confused:

2. Feb 21, 2012 at 5:43 AM
    SWCO

SWCO [OP] New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 3.4 V6
    I hadn't thought about the pressurization. When I took the fuel filter off after trying to start it a bunch of times, there was no fuel in it, or in the lines for that matter. I'm not sure how long it takes to get fuel from the tank to the engine, but figured it would have been there by now. Thanks for the tip.

3. Feb 21, 2012 at 5:54 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    I'd disconnect the line at the filter and hook the pump direct to a 12V source until the fuel comes out the line. Then do the same at the fuel rail (if possible).

4. Feb 21, 2012 at 6:08 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    did you check for plugs or cap at the inlets of new pump ? sometimes they seal them off at factory so shit doesnt fall in there, you say its running & does it stay running ? i dont know anything about a 7th injector but even if you run the tank dry it only takes a few sec. for the system to pressurize, I dont think running that pump dry is a good idea pretty sure the only thing that lubes the impeller is the fluid going thru it

5. Feb 22, 2012 at 5:20 AM
    SWCO

SWCO [OP] New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 3.4 V6
    Well, I was running out of time (and patience) so I had to take it for a mechanic to look at. They drained the fuel, dropped the tank and did some trouble shooting. Turns out the pump wires were hooked up backwards so it was running in reverse. The thing is, they were hooked up how the directions said to, which was opposite of how the orignial pump was wired. Sooo...the bad wiring directions/diagram ended up costing me. The pump was from NAPA too. I would expect that sort of stuff from Autozone, but not NAPA!!!!:mad:

6. Feb 22, 2012 at 5:21 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    NAPA and Autozone don't write the instructions for parts. If anything, they pay to have their there name on the box.

Products Discussed in

To Top