1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Differential Install Question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Rdy2offrd88, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Feb 19, 2012 at 8:47 PM
    Rdy2offrd88

Rdy2offrd88 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    02 DC TRD
    Deckplate, CB w/ 4ft Firestick, Bedrug
    Hi Everyone, I'm currently in the process of looking to buy a 1st gen dc taco and was wondering if I ended up buying a non-TRD off road package truck would it be hard to install a rear locker in the truck and about how much would it run $$ wise. Thanks

2. Feb 20, 2012 at 6:34 AM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    depends on what kind of lock you want.

You can install an auto locker like a lock rite (cheapest-$300-$500)

You can find a junkyard locker out of a TRD and swap in the entire axle (moderate price-$400-$1000, depending on where/what/how you find a locker/axle from another Taco)

Or you can get an ARB locker and OBA (on board air) (most expensive, $900 for locker and around $500 for OBA)

3. Feb 25, 2012 at 7:36 AM
    fwrhodes

fwrhodes New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    franklin
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5
    Yes, you can put in the coveted Toyota E-Locker in the rear of your truck but let me warn you it is not an easy process. You will have to use multiple toyota vehicle parts and spend a minimum of 12 hours with at least one other persons help with swapping the axle. The 10 hours is just the swapping portion that's not including driving to the junk yard multiple times, driving to the dealership for parts and of course the days of research and prep that will be needed.

My advice, if it's not to late, would be to get a truck with the E-Locker already in it. I just finished up on putting a toyota 4runner E-Locker in my 2000 2.7L Tacoma.

I had to use a 4runner E-locker 3rd member with the matching gears ($600) and a 1st gen E-Locker Tacoma axle housing ($150). I tested the E-Locker before I put it in my truck so I know it works. The last thing I need to do is the wiring to a switch in my cab. Don't forget about purchasing new inner and outer seals for the axles, 3rd member gasket, nuts and bolts, paint and gear oil.

I used this site quite a bit. http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/electric_locker/

IMG_1334.jpg
    IMG_0774.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top