Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Wheelers 5 pack rust?

Old 02-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
pika is on a distinguished road
pika's Tacoma Gallery
Wheelers 5 pack rust?

I am a new member and this past November I installed Bilstein 5100s on stock coils in the front and Wheelers 5 pack in the rear with Rough Country 9000. So far the difference has been very noticeable with improved ride and handling. The stock leafs were wore out. Here is a pic after the install sitting on worn 265/75/16.

A few days ago I noticed rust already developing on the leafs and not just in one area. Is this to be expected? Has anyone else with leafs from Wheelers noticed this?

I can post some more detailed pictures if anyone thinks I should be worried that they are beginning to rust after only 3 months.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
exminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedexminnesotaboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tony
exminnesotaboy's Tacoma Gallery
my wheeler 5 packs did the exact same thing. I am not too worried, it's gonna take a looooong time for it to pose a problem - probably longer than the truck will be on the road.

Now, if I could get them to stop squeaking/clicking, that would be great
Old 02-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
kinda odd.....but i guess where you live and the climate has alot to do with it. i have had mine on a few years now, and mine arent rusty at all.....and thats with minimal washing of the truck.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
DblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DblCabMN's Tacoma Gallery
mine are rusted to shit but i'm in MN and they salt heavy in the winter, it's been wet too... so there's that. Will try to snap a pic in the next few days.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
YellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YellowDog01's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, mine are starting to get some surface corrosion. I live in Montana now. No rust back in South Carolina.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoma guy's Tacoma Gallery
I have had mine on for a year now and no rust!! But I live in Phoenix Az. Well no need to say anymore. But just like exminnesotaboy said I to get a squeling sound. Mine is coming from the bushings meat the shackels. I sprayed some silacone between the bushing and the shackel. That helps but just for a short time!! Other then that I to like these springs and the ride thay give.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
pika is on a distinguished road
pika's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies, it's good to hear other peoples opinions about it. I don't want to be overly picky but I am concerned with rust appearing after only 3 months of use. I will probably hit them with some rust converter just to be safe.

If they were on your truck would you contact wheelers and ask them about it?

Here a couple of additional photos...

Old 02-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
A can of Rustoleum will do the trick. Surface rust is hard to eliminate on a vehicle. Depends a lot on conditions the vehicle is as to how quickly rust happens.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
HUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Tommy
HUNT's Tacoma Gallery
leafs

I would be disappointed if I bought new leafs and they were rusting that quck.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #12
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
These springs ship bare with no packaging, right? Wonder if some of the paint had come off in transit.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
ontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to all

ontarioyota's Tacoma Gallery
I have had dakars on since Oct in "salty Ontario" and they are doing better than yours for rust OP

Having said that I think you have nothing to worry about
Old 02-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #14
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
always blast new leaf packs with a few coats of paint prior to install. but either way, it's no big deal. my deavers are rusted too

Old 02-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #15
dorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud of

Name: Shane
dorkmagus's Tacoma Gallery
My deavers are rusted the same way and I put them on back in the fall. I just plan on spraying them with some paint after the winter