Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

? about rims, BS, tire size

Old 02-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
preCHRIS is on a distinguished road
preCHRIS's Tacoma Gallery
? about rims, BS, tire size

I have an 02 prerunner 2.7 on 16" prerunner wheels and 265/75/16 tires.

I'm looking to restore some power back into it because it's slow (ha)

I want to get 15x7 procomp steel wheels but what backspacing should I get so the wheels will clear the caliper?

i have 5100's in front at max lift (2.5")

i want to maintain a some what aggressive look.

will 255/75/15 be ok?

thx
Old 02-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
preCHRIS is on a distinguished road
preCHRIS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesdoublecab View Post
to get back to stock MPG, i would consider going with a shorter tire, not narrower...
wouldn't a narrower tire reduce grip therefore require less power to "push" forward?

thats the theory for us mtb'ers hah
Old 02-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by preCHRIS View Post
wouldn't a narrower tire reduce grip therefore require less power to "push" forward?

thats the theory for us mtb'ers hah
yah, i know that concept works for bikes... i ride a chopper bike so im always hurting... hahaha...

on a truck, the overall circumference of the wheel/tire impacts it as well... there is a technical explanation for it, but i can't remember it...
Old 02-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ya know, i stand corrected... just googled it, and found this...

http://www.ehow.com/about_5378784_ti...s-mileage.html

but like that article says, the narrow footprint could affect handling, and with the higher center of gravity of a truck, a wider but shorter tire may be a good balance?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
LT Chase Truck

found this too...

"The experts, however, offered a word of caution lest truck drivers assume they should switch to smaller tires:

It is probably not worth switching to smaller tires, since any gains in fuel economy would be offset by the added cost of re-gearing to keep your engine operating in its most efficient rpm range. Remember, power and economy are affected by transmission, drive axle ratios and tire size (revolution per mile). Change one, and you throw the equation off. With today’s new tires, there is virtually no difference in mpg due to tire size."
Old 02-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
Cvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Cory
Cvd2312's Tacoma Gallery
Don't get steel wheels, they're heavier. And I doubt you will gain much mpg by going smaller than 265. My truck had 235/75/15 on it when I bought it, and I got the same mileage even after I upsized to 265.

If you want mileage, buy a Civic.