1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just ordered Timbrens for my 98 reg cab 4x4.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 98Woodrow, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Feb 21, 2012 at 10:52 AM
    98Woodrow

98Woodrow [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 reg cab
    It has stock springs which are played out as you might expect, and I am not interested in shoveling out the kind of money new springs will cost. I will be towing a 16' bass boat and when I hooked it onto my trailer hitch for the first time it dropped about 2 inches and the rear springs were frowning.

Folks on here seem to favor the airbags over Timbrens, but for the $100 difference in cost it seemed not to make too much difference, and the airbags seemed like they would be a little more work. In short, not worth it for two long tows per year and a few short ones.

I did take time to measure the space into which the Timbrens are going to have to fit, then called Timbren to find out how tall their product is. In case anyone is wondering, from the top of the product to the bottom they say is 5-3/8 inches. The woman from Timbren says if you have a 1/2" of clearance it will work, 1" is ideal. It appears I will have between 5/8th and 7/8ths clearance so I am good to go.

I guess now everyone can tell me how big a mistake I made...

2. Feb 21, 2012 at 11:43 AM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    You didn't make a mistake. The Timbrens work great for heavy loads. It is a good idea to have new shocks back there as well to help dampen the added weight and spring rate of the Timbrens.

3. Feb 21, 2012 at 12:01 PM
    nyfishhunter

nyfishhunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    White Plains, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 4x4 OR Pyrite
    Weathertechs, Pop N Lock, Whitetail Sockmonkey, OEM bed mat, Undercover SE, Wet Okoles, OEM iPod interface, Rear Spring TSB, Illuminated 4x4 switch, DTRL, Timbrens, 5100s (front .85), Eibachs, 1.5 AAL, OEM running boards, FJ TRD center caps, diff breather mod, trimmed front flaps, ImMrYo mirror bracket, Grillcraft, painted white Sport grill black
    Timbrens are great. I had them on my 1998 to haul an 1,100 lb camper (see below). They ride best with a load completely off or on them.

I have them on my 2010 and pulled a trailer last summer where they barely made contact. In that case, we got beat up with every bump as the frame travelled to hit the Timbrens before the Timbren compressed. Now that I lifted the truck, I need to get adapters to get the proper gap.

Good luck!

[​IMG]

4. Feb 21, 2012 at 12:11 PM
    98Woodrow

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 reg cab

thanks, gents. Hey fishhunter, nice drop tine on that buck, man. I have killed some nice ones but I have never gotten one with a decent sticker or drop tine. Way to go.

5. Feb 21, 2012 at 12:14 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Mine made the ride a little more harsh while unloaded, but worked well when loaded. I left mine on after the lift since the factory bump stops suck.

6. Feb 21, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    nyfishhunter

nyfishhunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    White Plains, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 4x4 OR Pyrite
    Weathertechs, Pop N Lock, Whitetail Sockmonkey, OEM bed mat, Undercover SE, Wet Okoles, OEM iPod interface, Rear Spring TSB, Illuminated 4x4 switch, DTRL, Timbrens, 5100s (front .85), Eibachs, 1.5 AAL, OEM running boards, FJ TRD center caps, diff breather mod, trimmed front flaps, ImMrYo mirror bracket, Grillcraft, painted white Sport grill black
    Welcome and thanks. I think what you see as a drop is the rear leg. That said, he's my best so far. I've seen bigger ones scouting and found a larger shed, but once gun season starts, they do a pretty good job of disappearing.

7. Feb 21, 2012 at 12:50 PM
    98Woodrow

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 reg cab
    HAHAHA! Maybe my bad eyesight is why I never get a buck with a nice drop tine! :eek:

8. Feb 22, 2012 at 6:06 AM
    humtaco

humtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    This is one of only two posts I've read where the ride from the Timbren was not good and they were both 2nd gen Tacomas. I believe the big difference is that the Timbrens on the 1st gen are mounted to the frame (point of impact at the axle) but with the 2nd gen the Timbrens mount to the axle meaning that the point of impact, where the majority of force takes place, will be on the frame transferring to the cab. Something for the 2nd gen folks to keep in mind.

9. Feb 22, 2012 at 6:48 AM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    thats a pretty cool setup. Hope you had frame reinforcing plates...that looks heavy!

10. Feb 22, 2012 at 2:55 PM
    x2468

x2468 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    Mine have been a great help. You can hear when they're working because it makes a faint suction cup sound you can hear at speeds. I had mine coupled with an AAL.

Products Discussed in

To Top