Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

All 4 wheel-wells sit at different heights..? Could my frame be racked?

Old 02-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
defleppardsg is on a distinguished road
Name: chris
defleppardsg's Tacoma Gallery
All 4 wheel-wells sit at different heights..? Could my frame be racked?

The stance of my truck annoys the hell out of me. Even with brand new springs front and rear, it doesn't sit normal. Each corner sits at a different height. It's not the Tacoma lean, it's not the forward rake... The front passenger side and the rear driver side sit higher than the front driver and rear passenger... On the driver side, I have a forward rake about 1.5" higher in the rear, and on the passenger side, it sits level, and sometimes the front is a bit higher than the rear. WTF Is my frame screwed up? Anyone else notice this on their trucks? It was like this before the new springs and after.

I've got OME 880's up front, and wheeler's 5 pack in the rear.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by defleppardsg View Post
The stance of my truck annoys the hell out of me. Even with brand new springs front and rear, it doesn't sit normal. Each corner sits at a different height. It's not the Tacoma lean, it's not the forward rake... The front passenger side and the rear driver side sit higher than the front driver and rear passenger... On the driver side, I have a forward rake about 1.5" higher in the rear, and on the passenger side, it sits level, and sometimes the front is a bit higher than the rear. WTF Is my frame screwed up? Anyone else notice this on their trucks? It was like this before the new springs and after.

I've got OME 880's up front, and wheeler's 5 pack in the rear.

A good pic speaks volumes
Old 02-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
Here's some pics. Kind tough to see, because all of the heights are within 1.5" of eachother. But you can see the decent rake on the driver side (desireable) and the level/bro-lean on the passenger (very undesireable).

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
All 4 wheel-wells sit at different heights..? Could my frame be racked?-truck-driver.jpg   All 4 wheel-wells sit at different heights..? Could my frame be racked?-truck-passenger.jpg  
Old 02-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Are you using OME shocks too?
Did perhaps the trim packer get installed on the passenger side instead of the driver's side?
Old 02-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I'm unfamiliar with that leaf pack , but is there any chance it is side specific ? I'm pretty sure the Dakars are side specific for 1st Gens , perhaps these are the same and installed on the wrong sides ?
Old 02-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
I'm running 5100's all around, set at 0". No trim packers or anything. The wheelers 5 pack is side specific. I know that they were installed correctly. The driver's side leaf was arched more than the passenger, supposedly to compensate for Tacoma Lean. That could make some sense. Idk why the passenger front is so high though, it doesn't make any sense.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
Again, the truck had the same odd stance though, even before I redid the suspension. I thought new stuff would fix it but it didn't really. I just have to assume that somehow the frame kinda settled like that, perhaps because of inperfect stock springs.

I thought about putting a 1/2in block in the rear passenger... wouldnt make all four corners even, but it would at least give both sides a similar front:back rake. Then I'd be pretty much just left with the passenger-to-driver lean again.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #9
scotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scotrinaf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here's some pics. Kind tough to see, because all of the heights are within 1.5" of eachother. But you can see the decent rake on the driver side (desireable) and the level/bro-lean on the passenger (very undesireable).

Any thoughts?

Have you run a carfax on it to see if it was wrecked? PM me and I'll see if I can help you with that...
Old 02-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
i bought it from my grandpa, it definitely wasn't wrecked. It was actually taken care of really well. Frame doesn't have any rust either; just passed the frame inspection.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I say throw this on the driver's side:
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

And then swap the rear springs around and see what it looks like.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:52 PM   #12
Petrol head
RenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sloan
RenoTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
How level is your driveway? might be planning a small part as well.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #13
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
I see your box and cab line up perfectly, thats a good sign that it isnt twisted (badly at least)
Old 02-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #14
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Any thoughts?
Yes. Unload your toolbox and that gas can first. Also measure when your tank is closer to empty. Also, try measuring hub to fender, rather than ground to fender, to eliminate tire inflation as a factor. Also, go measure it on a dead-level concrete pad, like at a gas station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I'm unfamiliar with that leaf pack , but is there any chance it is side specific ? I'm pretty sure the Dakars are side specific for 1st Gens , perhaps these are the same and installed on the wrong sides ?
Yes, they are side-specific. OP, just double-check this to be sure.

Also, during a Wheelers group buy a while ago, someone did get a bum leafpack, and I believe Wheeler's replaced it, but you have to eliminate everything else and be sure before you pursue that path.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #15
Quote:
Yes. Unload your toolbox and that gas can first. Also measure when your tank is closer to empty. Also, try measuring hub to fender, rather than ground to fender, to eliminate tire inflation as a factor. Also, go measure it on a dead-level concrete pad, like at a gas station.
I've tried it all... sometimes I'll see a 1/2" fluctuation, of course, on different surfaces, level or not. but the differences from wheel-to-wheel-to-wheel-to-wheel are always relativeley consistant. Just annoys me that the front passenger is so high.....
Old 02-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #16
The Mad Scientist

Battery and gas tank are still sitting on the driver side so your always going to be higher on the front of the passenger side than the driver unless you account for it.

I still say add a 1/4" spacer to the driver coil and take a look.

Also you said you've got 5100's, I would verify that both sides are truely set at 0. I don't know who did your install, but I've seen people genuinly screw the pooch when setting up 5100's. Who knows, maybe the spring perch on the passenger side is upside down. And since you do have 5100's, you can always preload the driver coil and set the 5100 up 1 notch to bring the driver side up higher.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #17
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Battery and gas tank are still sitting on the driver side so your always going to be higher on the front of the passenger side than the driver unless you account for it.

I still say add a 1/4" spacer to the driver coil and take a look.

Also you said you've got 5100's, I would verify that both sides are truely set at 0. I don't know who did your install, but I've seen people genuinly screw the pooch when setting up 5100's. Who knows, maybe the spring perch on the passenger side is upside down. And since you do have 5100's, you can always preload the driver coil and set the 5100 up 1 notch to bring the driver side up higher.
Oooh, good catch.

But wouldn't preloading one side more than the other screw the alignment?

And on that note, OP, have you had an alignment recently?
Old 02-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #18
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Oooh, good catch.

But wouldn't preloading one side more than the other screw the alignment?

And on that note, OP, have you had an alignment recently?
Everything affects alignment. Hell a fat chick in the passenger seat will affect it. My point being is the OP is obviously not happy with the current setup. I say keep derping with it till he's happy with the stance, then get the alignment.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #19
The Mad Scientist

Stupid question for the OP.....
How are you measuring ride height?

Reason I ask is you should not be measuring from ground to fender. You should be measuring from center of the hub to fender. Measuring from ground to fender will include discrepencies from tire wear.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #20
Glitterdick

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Stupid question for the OP.....
How are you measuring ride height?

Reason I ask is you should not be measuring from ground to fender. You should be measuring from center of the hub to fender. Measuring from ground to fender will include discrepencies from tire wear.
That's something I pointed out earlier, too. wear, pressure.