Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

I'm getting 12mpg

Old 02-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
You can't fix stupid
Drew5387 is a jewel in the roughDrew5387 is a jewel in the roughDrew5387 is a jewel in the roughDrew5387 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Drew
Drew5387's Tacoma Gallery
I'm getting 12mpg

Like the title said, I'm only getting 12mpg. I have an 03 4 door tacoma. I have been getting 12mpg with my camper shell on. I have no clue why it is that low. I don't floor it every time i take off or anything. I just took my camper shell off so i guess i will see if it improves. Any input on what may be wrong?

Edit: its the 3.4 V6 engine
Old 02-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
Shake and Bake
4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jefferson
4wd Boss's Tacoma Gallery
whats the history of maintenance and mileage on this truck? could be lots of things: spark plugs, air filter, oversize mud terrain (heavy) tires or rims, maybe brakes sticking or dragging..... also of course any extra weight doesnt help so the camper is def contributing...
Old 02-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go over all the basics to make sure your truck is in tip top shape. Then check your mpg.

I know the weight of a camper will effect mpg's, but I wouldn't think that it would effect it that much.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
I'd go over all the basics to make sure your truck is in tip top shape. Then check your mpg.

I know the weight of a camper will effect mpg's, but I wouldn't think that it would effect it that much.
My topper had zero effect on my mpg
Old 02-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Clean the throttle body and change the spark plugs, is a start.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
My topper had zero effect on my mpg
Thanks. Never had a topper on my taco before so wasn't sure if the addition weight would affect it or not.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
MJM777 is a name known to allMJM777 is a name known to allMJM777 is a name known to allMJM777 is a name known to allMJM777 is a name known to allMJM777 is a name known to all

Army:
MJM777's Tacoma Gallery
I just ordered a new topper for my tacoma a week ago, and man....i hope i don't see that kind of decline in MPG.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
Murkules is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurkules is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurkules is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurkules is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurkules is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurkules is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurkules is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurkules is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurkules is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurkules is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurkules is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dane
Murkules's Tacoma Gallery
like Aw9d said, basics. id change fuel filter, air filter, plugs, check tire pressure, and go with synthetic oil like mobile 1
Old 02-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #11
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM777 View Post
I just ordered a new topper for my tacoma a week ago, and man....i hope i don't see that kind of decline in MPG.
You won't get A decrease in MPGs.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
mac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud of

Name: Mathew
mac424205's Tacoma Gallery
Those A/T's don't help it either. I know from experience that they are heavy. They also shouldn't effect it that bad. My brother has a 2001 4dr with ARB bumper, BFG A/T's loaded down toolbox, offroad lights and he doesn't get that bad. Common thing to check is like everybody else is saying, air filter, plugs, wires, your right foot!!! lol jk. When putting it in 4wd, it effects gas mileage also, keep that in mind. Actually the shell should have helped your gas mileage a little bit because it is creating less drag from the air flowing over your bed instead of circulating in it. Get some seafoam, it will clean out the deposits in your engine. I would get the vacuum line off of the break booster, and let it suck it into the block there. I have done it several times to his Taco and my honda accord V6
Old 02-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #13
scotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scotrinaf's Tacoma Gallery
Also change your PCV Valve, that could make a pretty sizeable difference if it's clogged... Also, use a GPS to track your mileage on a tank and see if there's a difference there... If your tires are oversized, that will throw your gas mileage off...
Old 02-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
Cvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCvd2312 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Cory
Cvd2312's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotrinaf View Post
Also change your PCV Valve, that could make a pretty sizeable difference if it's clogged... Also, use a GPS to track your mileage on a tank and see if there's a difference there... If your tires are oversized, that will throw your gas mileage off...

Yes, definitely make sure you are adjusting your mileage calculation if you have oversized tires. If your tires are bigger than stock, you are driving further than your odometer shows.

Mine is off 12%, which makes a pretty big difference