Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

bad catalytic converter

Old 02-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
Yep
buzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
buzzard1992's Tacoma Gallery
bad catalytic converter

I've got a 01 v6 tacoma. And my check engine light came on today got it checked and the catalytic converter is bad. Instead of buyin a new one I'm thinkin about just cuttin mine out and puttin a straight piece of pipe in place of it. What do yall think about that? It shouldn't mess anything up right?
Old 02-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Yep
buzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bump. I'm also in SC where we have no emission checks
Old 02-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
Yep

Bump
Old 02-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
98Woodrow is on a distinguished road
98Woodrow's Tacoma Gallery
My guess is you will not get many answers to this since what you suggest, though I understand some people do it, is a federal crime. Just guessing but they might think that it is not very smart for them to tell you they know how to do it, have done it, or approve of doing it. Again, I do not know--just guessing.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
Hello I remember this from the other day
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...er-needed.html

you really need to replace it, it will mess with the computer.
I used to have a 2001 mustang gt and did the high flow exhaust upgrade and replaced the factory with high flo cats and did not have a problem.
they are tight up here on emissions, (they dont give a damn if its held together with duct tape) and they would really check the stang but she passed and never fliped a code.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
I WOULD not put a STRAIGHT PIPE. That's against the law.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
Yep

I had no idea its against the law. but lets say i do it. well we have no emission checks here so my guess is if i were to do it i wouldnt get caught. but why would it mess with my computer. what would be the difference in it not workin or not bein there
Old 02-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard1992 View Post
I had no idea its against the law. but lets say i do it. well we have no emission checks here so my guess is if i were to do it i wouldnt get caught. but why would it mess with my computer. what would be the difference in it not workin or not bein there
i don't have one

i don't see it being against the law because my dad had the cat stolen off his truck and he took it to a muffler shop and they welded a straight pipe on it

if it were against the law then i don't think they would have done it, right?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not sure, but the way I understand it is that without the cat the O2 sensor after the cat will not get the correct reading ( because the cat is no there to "filter" the gasses) so it will send the wrong signal to the computer, which in turn will adjust your fuel mixture to less than optimum, which will inturn impact your air/fuel sensor (pre-cat sensor) and you will start to get all kinds of error codes along with potential loss in mpg and power.

Cats are expensive, but I have seen aftermarket ones that are much cheaper than the one at the dealer.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by higherlux View Post
i don't have one

i don't see it being against the law because my dad had the cat stolen off his truck and he took it to a muffler shop and they welded a straight pipe on it

if it were against the law then i don't think they would have done it, right?
Yeah i don't really see it bein against the law either... i could be wrong though. and even if it is illegal honestly nobody with power to do somethin is gonna find out.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #11
AK SnowroxKT
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
SnowroxKT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerseun View Post
Not sure, but the way I understand it is that without the cat the O2 sensor after the cat will not get the correct reading ( because the cat is no there to "filter" the gasses) so it will send the wrong signal to the computer, which in turn will adjust your fuel mixture to less than optimum, which will inturn impact your air/fuel sensor (pre-cat sensor) and you will start to get all kinds of error codes along with potential loss in mpg and power.

Cats are expensive, but I have seen aftermarket ones that are much cheaper than the one at the dealer.
Post Cat O2 sensor is what is giving a CEL and will continue to after a straight pipe is installed (most likely), there are ways around this for "offroad or racing use" like using spark plug anti-foulers and drill the first one out so the O2 sensor will fit, then screw the O2 sensor into the anti fouler, then screw that into the bung where the O2 sensor was.

Edit: Reason this works, the O2 sensor doesn't "see" as many bad gases NOx I believe. If one anti-fouler isn't enough 2 can be used.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #12
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowroxKT View Post
Post Cat O2 sensor is what is giving a CEL and will continue to after a straight pipe is installed (most likely), there are ways around this for "offroad or racing use" like using spark plug anti-foulers and drill the first one out so the O2 sensor will fit, then screw the O2 sensor into the anti fouler, then screw that into the bung where the O2 sensor was.

Edit: Reason this works, the O2 sensor doesn't "see" as many bad gases NOx I believe. If one anti-fouler isn't enough 2 can be used.
If i were to do this do you think i will get awful gas mileage and a loss of power? i really dont want that but i also dont wanna pay for a new cat
Old 02-21-2012, 10:02 PM   #13
AK SnowroxKT
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
SnowroxKT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If i were to do this do you think i will get awful gas mileage and a loss of power? i really dont want that but i also dont wanna pay for a new cat
Pre cat O2 sensor does all the afr, post cat O2 sensor controls the CEL for bad cat.

there are 2 right?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #14
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerseun View Post

The second O2 sensor is only there to monitor the cat. So the CEL being tripped by the absense of a cat will not affect the A/F ratio...the CEL is just annoying.

This can be fixed by using and URD O2 sim. And even aftermarket cats can trip a CEL. Most aftermarket cats are "high flow" and will trip a CEL.

And to the person who said that running w/o a cat is a "federal offense" ....It would be a fixit ticket...and the OP lives in a state where there are no emissions testing...is a LEO going to check under his truck for a cat if he gets pulled over? [No]
Old 02-22-2012, 05:37 AM   #15
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
Most aftermarket cats are "high flow" and will trip a CEL.

Well that is not so. I put in a magnaflow highflo duel exhust system myself on a 2001 Mustang gt in 2004, with 2 new high flo cats, back to shorty headers, and never tripped the puter. went right out two months later and passed the Ill. emissions test. And never had a problem till a drunk driver tried to take us both out.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:25 AM   #16
98Woodrow is on a distinguished road
98Woodrow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It is required to be on there by law. I think it is against the law to take it off. That said, do not think I ever heard of someone getting arrested for it. It will throw a CEL code, but you can just ignore that. I have heard of people driving cars for YEARS without them. When you go to sell it though, you are probably going to have to come clean and replace it.

Companies in states with emissions testing sometimes pound a straight pipe thru the cat, then replace the cat right before the test.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:47 AM   #17
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
The second O2 sensor is only there to monitor the cat. So the CEL being tripped by the absense of a cat will not affect the A/F ratio...the CEL is just annoying.

This can be fixed by using and URD O2 sim. And even aftermarket cats can trip a CEL. Most aftermarket cats are "high flow" and will trip a CEL.

And to the person who said that running w/o a cat is a "federal offense" ....It would be a fixit ticket...and the OP lives in a state where there are no emissions testing...is a LEO going to check under his truck for a cat if he gets pulled over? [No]
X2

I ran mine 98 for over a year with a bad rear O2 and no ill affects.

OP, there are other potential causes to the 420 code that you should investigate before getting a new CAT. Also, I've seen/read where people have used Walker CATS withouth issues. Keep in mind you have two CATS not just one.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #18
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
X2

OP, there are other potential causes to the 420 code that you should investigate before getting a new CAT. Also, I've seen/read where people have used Walker CATS withouth issues. Keep in mind you have two CATS not just one.
yes...IIRC an exhaust leak can trip a P0420 code. I had a cracked manifold and it was setting off that code.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #19
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
X2

Yeah im startin to think its not the CAT. Ive been told if the CAT went bad i would know it. When the CEL came on the truck ran no different. Everything seems fine and normal
Old 02-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #20

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Any unusual ticking coming from the engine bay? I had a tick for the longest time that I thought was normal for the 2.7L. Turns out it was a cracked manifold. Replaced that, tick went away, and so did the CEL/P0420 code.