Notices

Mass Air Flow Sensor Question

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
volksrods is on a distinguished road
Name: Zack
volksrods's Tacoma Gallery
Mass Air Flow Sensor Question

Ok so my check engine light came on so I plugged my code reader in to my truck and it said the Mass Air Flow Sensor was bad. I was wondering if MAF Sensors from 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 were all compatible? Thanks for any help.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
If nothing has changed between years I can't see why any of them wouldn't work.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
have you tried to clean it first? post on here on how to do it.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
Well when I ran the code it said MAF/VAF a code malfunction. I have a can of cleaner just for cleaning the MAF but it didn't do anything. I looked it up and found some used ones that will hopefully work and then I won't have to pay the retarded amount for a new one. I'll check the link out too thanks.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
seksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Brandon
seksilumpia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by volksrods View Post
Well when I ran the code it said MAF/VAF a code malfunction. I have a can of cleaner just for cleaning the MAF but it didn't do anything. I looked it up and found some used ones that will hopefully work and then I won't have to pay the retarded amount for a new one. I'll check the link out too thanks.
honestly,i would just pay for a new one.I know that its expensive,but just go to autozone or some auto store.Is cheaper than the dealership and youre also paying for that piece of mind that its new.Who knows,you might buy a used maf and it may just be going on its way out soon.Good luck with this OP
Old 02-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #7
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
With the vehicle idling tap the MAF lightly with the handle of a screwdriver; if the idle fluctuates, you need a new (or rebuilt) MAF.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
There not all the same. They changed in 99, depending on the engine.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

http://www.4runners.org/writeups/throttle/index.html
Old 02-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
Dtom is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: 2nd class machinery technician
Dtom's Tacoma Gallery
Change it! Mass air flow sensor cleaner will do more damage than good! You could also try a junk yard or pick-a-part for a slightly used one.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #11
lil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant futurelil J has a brilliant future

Name: Jacen
lil J's Tacoma Gallery
you can get a denso MAF at autozone pretty cheap by trading in your old one as a core deposit
Old 02-24-2012, 02:13 AM   #12
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtom View Post
Mass air flow sensor cleaner will do more damage than good!
Why? Please back up your statement.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:13 AM   #13
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shampoop View Post
Why? Please back up your statement.
X2

Totally un-based claims here
Old 02-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
Well I found out that 95-96 MAF will work on 95-96 tacomas. 97-99 the connector is a lot wider and the MAF is just all the way around bigger. I ended up picking up a used one for $50 and it worked like a charm.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #15
Dtom is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: 2nd class machinery technician
Dtom's Tacoma Gallery
Idk I'm not a scientist but I've used it once, fuck up my sensor had to buy a new one. Every body I've ever talked to that used it says it fucks them up! I just don't recommend it from experience that's all.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #16
deadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
deadhed61's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by volksrods View Post
Well I found out that 95-96 MAF will work on 95-96 tacomas. 97-99 the connector is a lot wider and the MAF is just all the way around bigger. I ended up picking up a used one for $50 and it worked like a charm.

Have you tried actually testing it to verify it is bad? It was a super easy task for my 90' 4Runner. All you need is a multi-meter.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #17
Laissez les bons temps rouler
tacoma04 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bruce
tacoma04's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtom View Post
Idk I'm not a scientist but I've used it once, fuck up my sensor had to buy a new one. Every body I've ever talked to that used it says it fucks them up! I just don't recommend it from experience that's all.

What did you clean it with? Was it MAF cleaner or something else?

I have cleaned two different taco's MAFs and had no problems.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #18

If you touch the sensor with your hands (the small wires are the sensors) and this is in the write ups the oil can ruin the sensor. Just like if you put a oiled air filter on, and have just a tiny bit too much oil on,when driving it gets pulled on the sensor and can ruin it. sometimes it will mess up your idle before it gets ruined, its just dumb luck as far as i can tell. I cleaned mine several times on my ol stang and never had a problem.
I just cleaned the one on my truck, and I guess after 176,000 miles it covered with Texas red dirt, but she cleaned well and after everything else she is purring now.
Every Toyota forum covers this issue.
Right now we are keeping cars and trucks on the road way longer than the auto makes ever planned. When I was a 16 a car that had 100,000 was considered a Beater for winter, or it was sent to the junkyard. Now its preowned.
I'm not trying to be a smartass, just trying to help.
Back then they used to say that emissions stuff and stuff like seatbelts for covered for the life of the car, not anymore..............
Old 02-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #19
Hillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant future

Hillingdoner's Tacoma Gallery
Strange, not heard this and not arguing/flaming you at all. I've never had a problem with cleaning. From my understanding (which may be incorrect) the MAF cleaner is similar to an electrical contact cleaner. I always buy the CRC MAF cleaner though just to be safe. You spray the MAF to clean and flush away anything on it. That's it!

Seems where people run into issues is where they touch the little wires you are cleaning and break one. You just need to spray them with the cleaner, don't stick anything in there to scrub them or you'll undoubtedly break the fine wire and have to buy a new one. Only issue I've ever had is getting that straw thing in the spray nozzle on the can of cleaner lol.

OP- glad you fixed it and thanks for the info on years as mine is a '95 also. I noticed in the various write ups I'd seen on cleaning the MAF that there were some differences in how they looked. Knock on wood, mine is fine right now. Not long since got the truck so cleaned it, the idle control valve and the throttle body.

Worth doing as I was amazed at the gunk in my throttle body. Know its off topic, but just wanted to add. Took mine off to clean it. Wow the muck in it!
Old 02-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #20

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillingdoner View Post
Strange, not heard this and not arguing/flaming you at all. I've never had a problem with cleaning. From my understanding (which may be incorrect) the MAF cleaner is similar to an electrical contact cleaner. I always buy the CRC MAF cleaner though just to be safe. You spray the MAF to clean and flush away anything on it. That's it!

Seems where people run into issues is where they touch the little wires you are cleaning and break one. You just need to spray them with the cleaner, don't stick anything in there to scrub them or you'll undoubtedly break the fine wire and have to buy a new one. Only issue I've ever had is getting that straw thing in the spray nozzle on the can of cleaner lol.

OP- glad you fixed it and thanks for the info on years as mine is a '95 also. I noticed in the various write ups I'd seen on cleaning the MAF that there were some differences in how they looked. Knock on wood, mine is fine right now. Not long since got the truck so cleaned it, the idle control valve and the throttle body.

Worth doing as I was amazed at the gunk in my throttle body. Know its off topic, but just wanted to add. Took mine off to clean it. Wow the muck in it!
X2. I have seen people try to clean them with it still hooked up also. That's also another no no. I've cleaned countless MAF's on automobiles and a few ATV's without issue.

The key points:
  1. Unplug it
  2. spray it
  3. do not touch anything but the outer housing with your fingers
  4. make sure it is dry before installing

Products Discussed in this Thread