Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Easy way to get new leafsprings back in???

Old 02-22-2012, 01:11 AM   #1
beefsteak is on a distinguished road
beefsteak's Tacoma Gallery
Easy way to get new leafsprings back in???

I'm in the process of installing new Dakar leafsprings in my 2003 Tacoma, and I'm having problems getting everything lined up. I was reading some other installs with the add a leafs, where the main eye bolts and shackles didn't have to be removed, but I couldn't find anything on full replacement of leafs. I'm doing one side at a time (starting on the passenger side), and maybe it's cause I'm doing it by myself without another hand to help, but I've lined up the rear shackles and mounted the springs on the ubolts, but now I can't get the main eye bolt to line up with the bracket. It seems like it's gotta move forward just 2 inches to line up, and jacking up the axle on the passenger side only moves it up and down...would it be easier if I took off the wheel on the driver's side rear? and would that allow me to move the axle on the passenger side forward just a little? I don't want to mess with the driver's side too much in case I move everything around too much...

Or should I first bolt in the shackles and the front main eye bolt, then bolt the leafsprings to the axle? (I'm thinking that I'll have the same difficult issue of lining up the leafsprings on the axle if I did it this way too.

I'd appreciate advice from anyone that's replaced their leafs. Thanks
Old 02-22-2012, 01:21 AM   #2
E-Fabber
Anthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
Anthony250's Tacoma Gallery
I did mine and did my others friends, it helps with someone else. Takes me 30 minutes for each side, do one side at a time.
1. jack up truck on stands to frame,remove wheels
2 put a jack under the axle pumpkin "center"
3. unbolt all bolts, remove parking brake lines "from pin"
4. remove shocks , remove leaf pack
5. Slide in new leaf pack , bolt the up the front first "front main bolt"
6. line up the center pin in the axle and loosely put in the u bolts
7. line up the shackles and bolt it up, might have to raise or lower axle thats why the jack is under, and or push the axle back or forwards with help
8. tighten it all up
9. bolt back shocks.

This is my way of doing it , there is other ways.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:40 AM   #3
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
^Sounds about right. We did it one side at a time. We put the shackle on the leaf then bolted it to frame (2nd Gen).
An extra set of hands makes it much easier.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #4
BVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to behold
BVCOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I did my all by myself, so I understand the pain you are going though. When the front bolt holes on the leafs wouldn't line up I just put a large socket on the bottom bolt of the back shackle and rotated it forward. This moved the entire leaf enough until in aligned the front holes.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
Ok thanks guys I appreciate it. I'm gonna try BVCOTaco's method first since I already have the ubolts and rear shackle loosely bolted in. If that doesn't work, I'm gonna try unbolting and putting in the rear main bolt in first, then the u-bolt and then the rear shackle last. I still have the wheel on the drivers side on, is it necessary to remove that wheel first in order to get the axle to shift forward a little? Cause I was having problems shifting that axle forward enough to get the rear main bolt to line up...or is there an easy way to shift the axle forward that you guys used?

thanks guys!
Old 02-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
It's MUCh easier to install the main eye bolt first, then the ubolts and the shackles last. You can use a floor jack to help position the axle and move the shackle plates to line it all up to install the lower shackle bolt.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
It's MUCh easier to install the main eye bolt first, then the ubolts and the shackles last. You can use a floor jack to help position the axle and move the shackle plates to line it all up to install the lower shackle bolt.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #8
got it, I'm gonna try and tackle it all again this weekend. Thanks guys!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
Update:

So I finally got the leafsprings in thanks to yalls help! If anyone is planning on tackling it by themselves, this is what I found out worked the best. It took me like an hour of putting it on, taking it off, putting it on etc, until I figured out the best way. Once I didm the other side only took like 15 minutes.

1. make sure you jack up the rear of the truck as high as possible using jackstands on the frame near the rear main eye bolt.

2. mount the leafsprings to the main eye bolt first, then the rear shackles

3. line up the pin on the leafsprings to the hole on the mount on the axle

4. then grab some ratchet straps and loop one end around the axle and the other end to the frame of the truck near the main eye bolt and start ratcheting.

5. eventually the pin on the leafsprings will drop into the hole on the axle

6. bolt up the ubolts and ur done!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #10
Save a horse ride a Railroader
Catcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to behold
Air Force: C-17 Loadmaster 2300 hrs
Name: Bryan
Catcrazed's Tacoma Gallery
I've used a ratchet strap to pull the axle forward as well
Old 03-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
x3 on the ratchet straps! I did mine myself too pita at some point
Old 06-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #12
benthegoodman is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: OCVFD
Name: Ben
benthegoodman's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks!

Guys this forum thread saved me! Now off to the trails...
Old 06-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #13
hossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud of
hossmaster's Tacoma Gallery
I had to move my axle back when I went to Dakar's. I used the ones from allpro

https://www.allprooffroad.com/pickup...locationplates

But that is when they switched to Dakar for the model of springs. I also got one spring with a main eye bushing already installed??? The reason I had to move the axle back is that the slip yoke was bottoming out and the tires were munching on the front of the wheel well