1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What is this hose?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Hillingdoner, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Feb 23, 2012 at 9:19 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    Okay, tried searching, but could not find any posts or questions on it so here goes.

1995 with a 3.4 and manual transmission. 4wd

Doing the alternator conversion to a CS144. Found there is a coolant leak that looks like it is from the water outlet area. Seems to be coming from the small hose that comes off the side of the water outlet housing. The hose comes straight out on the driver's side and then makes a 90 degree turn next to the alternator and goes back towards the firewall. It is tough for me to see where it goes. All I can see is it coming out, making the turn and then I can't see what it connects to as the exhaust manifold etc is in the way from the top and I've not been able to get back underneath to see from the bottom of the truck.

Question: So what is this hose called? If I need to replace it then it would be good to know what hose it is:eek: Is it a bypass hose? Heater hose?

Been looking at part sites, the pdf factory manual (saw a picture, but no description of what it is or replacing it yet) and tried Toyotapartszone site and only find water pump and thermostat info so far.

Has anyone had to replace this hose? If so, then any tips on how you did it?

Thanks for any help.
    Cheers

2. Feb 23, 2012 at 10:50 AM
    Hillingdoner

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    Weird! Certainly looks like a coolant leak to me, but called the local Toyota place and the chap says it is an oil cooler hose.

Comes off the housing piece where the thermostat goes. Only held on with a spring clamp.

Does this sound right?

3. Feb 23, 2012 at 11:11 AM
    Hillingdoner

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    Well, guess I should not have posted as sure as crap this is an oil cooler hose.

I'd never have found it as I certainly would not have looked it up as so. Now though, looking at oil cooler it comes up under the lube section on the factory manual for the 3.4 litre.

Not very descriptive on how to replace. Just "remove hose". Looks like there is a long hose that comes from the thermostat area and goes back and clamps on to a round shaped oil cooler bolted to the side of the engine. Then another smaller U shaped hose comes off the oil cooler and goes back into the engine right there.

Guess it is going to be fun with everything that is in the way on a 4wd.

Either way. For anyone else who has done the job any tips on replacing this hose?

For those that need the same one. Factory part number for a 1995 model is 15778-62020. When I looked into that hose it looks like it has been replaced by Toyota with 15778-62030. $30 at my local dealer or ~$22 online for factory part.

4. Feb 23, 2012 at 11:59 PM
    shampoop

shampoop Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma extracab v6 auto trd offroad 4x4
    Some oil cooler hoses just carry coolant, not oil.

5. Feb 24, 2012 at 12:17 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Pretty sure theres no oil hose

Got a pic ??

6. Feb 24, 2012 at 7:35 AM
    Hillingdoner

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    Shampoop is spot on. From what I can see in the factory manual in the lube section, this hose carries coolant over to the oil cooler on the side of my engine and then has a smaller loop type hose that connects to the engine block off of the oil cooler. Seems a strange design to me, but there you go.

Lube section of the manual shows a clear picture of it. Hope this link works.
    Thanks all for taking the time to post. I truly appreciate it. Guess now I've just got to get in there and replace it. What fun!

Products Discussed in

To Top