Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Fender flare install on a non TRD

Old 02-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
poseytaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Nicholas
poseytaco's Tacoma Gallery
Fender flare install on a non TRD

I have a 2000 non TRD and have a set of stock flares. They fit perfect but don't have the clips that come on a Trd. What is the best way to install these securely.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoma guy's Tacoma Gallery
Call the dealer parts dept. see if thay sell just the clips. Thay should be able to. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
The dealer has the clips there red's and blues they go in designated slots in the fenders, there are from what I remember on my 04 7 per wheel hsg, and there about $1.50 a clip. When I replaced mine I inserted them in the fender first I would do it different if I were to do it again, install them in the flare first. I thought I had a picture from when I did mine that showed where each clip went but I deleted the pic.Buy a few extra's in case you mess up.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #5
poseytaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Nicholas
poseytaco's Tacoma Gallery
My truck is not a Trd. It doesn't have slots in the fenders.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Well the TRD trucks with factory flares have square holes if you don't have the holes best look for another type flare and sell what you have.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
fouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Riley
fouillard13's Tacoma Gallery
I really wanna put flares on my 98. I can get them off an 02 I like the big ones. Is there a way to mount these or has any one done this
Old 04-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by poseytaco View Post
My truck is not a Trd. It doesn't have slots in the fenders.
don't believe it has anything to to with being TRD.

2001 I believe is the first year with
fender holes in the sheet metal, for the flares.

prior to '01...
aft. mkt or factory flares mounted to the inside lip
of the fender. The upper side of the flare stays in place
simply from mounting inside the fenders lips.

The fronts utilize metal clips w backing nuts...
the rears simply mount to predetermined fender lip locations
that have plastic inserts that are threaded into.

Muh '00 came with the chrome eyebrow wheel well surrounds.
those use the same mounting hardware that most fender flares
would use as well.

In other words...
if you go to a dealership and look up the chrome wheel well eyebrow
mounting... you would need order that mounting hardware.

So you have nothing mounted to the fender wells currently ?
Old 04-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #9
fouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Riley
fouillard13's Tacoma Gallery
I had the little basic chrome sr5 but wanna put big flares on f newer tacoma. I know they had clips in the sheer metal but can I get away with mounting just the wheel well mounts?
Old 04-08-2013, 01:05 AM   #10
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if '01-'04 fender flares
will bolt up to earlier models.
so can't say

but if you try... you'll know more

if yer not afraid of it...
you could cut some holes in the fender(s)
to fit the inserts. (likely a pita)
Old 06-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #11
michaelw.grey will become famous soon enough

EMS: EMT
Name: mike
michaelw.grey's Tacoma Gallery
so did you cut the holes? did it work? ive been wanting to do the same to my 98 as well. Please let me know how it turns out.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
Insert witty title here
Seventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Chris
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Seventh
I'd say those holes will be a giant PITA to cut and get lined up correctly. I just installed Bushwackers, and happen to have a couple pics of the stock clips handy.

My advice would be to go with a set of aftermarket flares. Getting them perfect will be a nightmare with the stock mounts.

These are the BWs, which (IMO of course) look a hell of a lot better.

Edit: My truck is not a TRD btw. It's about as base model as it gets, the only "options" it has are AC and cruise control.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #13
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
yeah on my 2000 the flares are just screwed into the inner fender wall. they're also less...flarey, than the 01-04 flares. i actually removed mine to repaint and they went back on like a charm i think it was a smarter design on toyota's part because i can revert to complete stock body if i want (not that the fenders werent stock) without any clips or holes glaring back at me.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #14
WUT?
thegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant future

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Why is there a need for the square holes and clips? I pulled the flares off my 2001 to paint them and never put the red and blue clips back on. They are only held on by the screws in the fender well and it's been that way for about a year now without problems.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #15
michaelw.grey will become famous soon enough

EMS: EMT
Name: mike
michaelw.grey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
I'd say those holes will be a giant PITA to cut and get lined up correctly. I just installed Bushwackers, and happen to have a couple pics of the stock clips handy.

My advice would be to go with a set of aftermarket flares. Getting them perfect will be a nightmare with the stock mounts.

These are the BWs, which (IMO of course) look a hell of a lot better.

Edit: My truck is not a TRD btw. It's about as base model as it gets, the only "options" it has are AC and cruise control.

how did the bushwackers mount? and how much were they?