1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help with headers

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mike2284, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Feb 26, 2012 at 5:36 PM
    mike2284

mike2284 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Pendleton, OR
    Vehicle:
    99 2.7L4WD Tacoma
    This is my first post i've been reading this forum for a while and appreciate all the information ive gotten so far. My question is ive recently learned that my exhaust manifold is cracked and is gonna cost $385 if I get it fixed at the muffler shop. For that price I might as well get a header and Install it myself instead of an exhaust manifold. I want a good one and Ive been looking at either a doug thorley http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com...horley-Header?

or an lcePermormance header.

I was leaning toward the Doug Thorley but ran into some negative reviews online. Anyone have any experience with either or opinions. I have a 1999 2.7L 4WD extended cab. Im not even sure if the lcePerformance makes one for my 99 2.7L. Anyone with any input as to which one would be better, which one I should buy and where I should get it from.

someone on another site suggested this
    http://www.yotatech.com/f37/tacoma-4...ilable-179930/

Thanks for all the input I want to get a good header that will last and hopefully give me a couple extra horses.

Also I've been looking at this lift kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/26087952689...em=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr and want to know if theres anything wrong with this kit or what is something better in that price range. Thanks you for any input the headers is the most important right now though!!!:)

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Feb 26, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
  3. Feb 26, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    GVY

GVY All those moments will be lost in time

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    FT Bragg
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma 2.7L SR5
    Bushwacker Cut-Out Fender Flares, ARB Winch Bull Bar, 3" All Pro Bilstein Coilovers, All Pro UCAs, Wheeler Off Road Custom Rear Bumper, All Pro Standard Leaf Pack, Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, All Pro steel-braided brake lines, U-Bolt flip kit, JBA cat-back exhaust, KC 6" Daylighters & 2x6" driving lights, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, Deck plate mod, Toytec 1" shackles, Rhinolined bed, Tiregate Prerunner, Procomp 85 gloss black steel wheels, 285/75/16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts
    Here's the LCE for our engine.

4. Feb 26, 2012 at 6:09 PM
    TacoMX

TacoMX TW's Official anti body-lift pundit

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Deltona, Florida
    I have the LCE 2.7 leader and love it....its made great. Gains are minimal though...just like any header will be on a 2.7L I4.

And the lift kit you have linked from ebay is utter trash. Blocks and spacers are shitty. Save up for lift coils and an AAL...they are marginally more expensive than that shit lift.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Feb 26, 2012 at 6:09 PM
    GVY

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    FT Bragg
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma 2.7L SR5
    Bushwacker Cut-Out Fender Flares, ARB Winch Bull Bar, 3" All Pro Bilstein Coilovers, All Pro UCAs, Wheeler Off Road Custom Rear Bumper, All Pro Standard Leaf Pack, Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, All Pro steel-braided brake lines, U-Bolt flip kit, JBA cat-back exhaust, KC 6" Daylighters & 2x6" driving lights, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, Deck plate mod, Toytec 1" shackles, Rhinolined bed, Tiregate Prerunner, Procomp 85 gloss black steel wheels, 285/75/16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts
    I had never heard of these before now. I, too, just found a crack in my headers and will be ordering a new set within the next couple of days. I was pretty much sold on the LCE's but now I'm going to have to look into Tri-Y a bit more.

6. Feb 26, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Get an OEM Exhaust gasket from Toyota when you do the install. NWOR claims they dont need a gasket, but trust me, they do.

7. Feb 27, 2012 at 2:32 PM
    GVY

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    FT Bragg
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma 2.7L SR5
    Good to know. That just didn't sound right on their website.

8. Feb 27, 2012 at 2:51 PM
    Speed Freek

Speed Freek Tacoma Whisperer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vista, Ca, Lake Havasu, Az.
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V8 (LS1) swap
    LS1-T56 swap, Z06 ported heads, cam, Titanium valves, Kevlar clutch. Now building a forged stroker (383) and all the ponies! Old setup was rod-knockin on heaven's door...
    Really no gasket? WTF are they smokin...and you are absolutely correct on the Toyota exhaust gasket, I would NOT use an aftermarket one, the OEM ones are of a MLS construction and will last forever if never removed.

9. Feb 27, 2012 at 3:24 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Becuase they use a pretty dam thick flange, and its machined flat, I think they feel it seals just fine. When they first came out with this header, a guy on TTORA installed them without gaskets, and they leaked. So, when I installed them, I just used a new OEM gasket to be safe. Never had a leak.

10. Feb 27, 2012 at 3:38 PM
    GVY

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    FT Bragg
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma 2.7L SR5
    I like the logic in that.

11. Feb 27, 2012 at 8:59 PM
    mike2284

mike2284 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Pendleton, OR
    Vehicle:
    99 2.7L4WD Tacoma
    so what you guys think the Lce performance or the doug Thorley? Both are about the same in price. Which would be better and anybody else have any experience with either. The only reason I was turned off by the thorleys is the negative reviews of new owners of the business or something like that not even sure when it was written. Anyway whats everybody think Lce or DT?

12. Feb 28, 2012 at 5:48 PM
    GVY

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    FT Bragg
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma 2.7L SR5
    Did you even read any of the other posts on this thread?

Products Discussed in

To Top