Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

grill guard or light bar?

Old 02-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
milehighliving is on a distinguished road
milehighliving's Tacoma Gallery
grill guard or light bar?

My bday's coming up and was thinking about asking for a snobord light bar, or a grill guard like this: http://images.craigslist.org/5I95K85...a442b71065.jpg

they're both the same price. What do you guys think?
Old 02-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
uncoordinated dirtbox
Brandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
Brandon9402's Tacoma Gallery
Grill guards are helpful in some accidents. Especially if deer like to run out in front of you. You can still put lights on the grill guard. I have some on mine
Old 02-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon9402 View Post
Grill guards are helpful in some accidents. Especially if deer like to run out in front of you. You can still put lights on the grill guard. I have some on mine
My thoughts exactly. I'm undecided if I like the looks of it or not. I'm all stock now, but I plan on lifting it this summer.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
light bar.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighliving View Post
My thoughts exactly. I'm undecided if I like the looks of it or not. I'm all stock now, but I plan on lifting it this summer.
not trying to crap on your thread here but there are a lot of people on here that say those brush guards/ grille guards whatever you want to call them cause more damage
Old 02-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMABOSS View Post
not trying to crap on your thread here but there are a lot of people on here that say those brush guards/ grille guards whatever you want to call them cause more damage
Idk if they cause more damage, but they basically have no accident protection like people think. They are flimsy and are mostly for looks and repelling minor damage from brush....and shopping carts.

Someone above said that it would help in a deer strike...a deer would destroy a brush guard...no contest.

thats why I said lightbar. They look cleaner...IMO..
Old 02-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
brs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura about
brs127s's Tacoma Gallery
I've went through two different brush guards from hitting deer. They each were trashed, but they kept my truck from being totaled.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #9
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Know a guy with that grill guard and lights, looks good on his silver taco, Idk what yours is but his looked kinda weak until he started getting black mods, rims, badges, topper etc, then it sort of fit in better. Hope that helps
Old 02-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #10
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
Idk if they cause more damage, but they basically have no accident protection like people think. They are flimsy and are mostly for looks and repelling minor damage from brush....and shopping carts.

Someone above said that it would help in a deer strike...a deer would destroy a brush guard...no contest.

idk thats just what i have heard
Old 02-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #11
Quote:

I've heard similar things about their strength. The lightbars look super clean. Do you think snobord's new wrap-around light bar would have more protection than the grill/brush guard?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...group-buy.html
Old 02-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #12
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
Light bars and brush guards are useless for and impact other than a shopping cart.
there is a video on the site somewhere of a bulbar being used as a recovery point and it get's ripped right off the truck.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #13

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've heard similar things about their strength. The lightbars look super clean. Do you think snobord's new wrap-around light bar would have more protection than the grill/brush guard?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...group-buy.html
for sure! The steel he uses is of much higher strength and quality. IMO...that looks a lot better then a brush guard too.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #14
uncoordinated dirtbox
Brandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs127s View Post
I've went through two different brush guards from hitting deer. They each were trashed, but they kept my truck from being totaled.
Exactly! Lol everybody says they're no good but they protect the truck right? Another brush guard is cheaper than getting the entire front end fixed
Old 02-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #15

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon9402 View Post
Exactly! Lol everybody says they're no good but they protect the truck right? Another brush guard is cheaper than getting the entire front end fixed
Or you can buy a tube or plate bumper and never have to buy another brush guard again.

Most brush guards I see go for $350-$600....thats how much a good tube bumper costs.

For the money you pay for one you dont get much.

Only way I would buy one is if I get a used one for a good deal....but I would still rather save up and get something with some real protection.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #16
Sweet guys thank your for your inputs. A brush guard popped up on CL for cheap so I started question whether I really wanted a lightbar. Now I'm definitely going to buy a lightbar, most likely one of the wrap arounds.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #17
Quote:
Or you can buy a tube or plate bumper and never have to buy another brush guard again.

Most brush guards I see go for $350-$600....thats how much a good tube bumper costs.

Only way I would buy one is if I get a used one for a good deal....but I would still rather save up and get something with some real protection.
Guy was asking $190 on CL for one
Old 02-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #18

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Guy was asking $190 on CL for one
thats not too bad.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #19
Ya probably would go lower too. I really want an ARB bumper or something similar but can't justify spending that much right now
Old 02-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #20
uncoordinated dirtbox

Quote:

Can't argue that. with original post however, IMO brush guard > light bar..... but to each his own?