1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ongoing wiring help needed please

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Greensystemsgo, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Feb 26, 2012 at 9:36 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo [OP] 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    This will be an ongoing help post for my issues. which are numerous. I have access to an 04 wiring harness, but as i have a 99, id assume some things are different.

Symptoms:

A - Drivers door open does not prompt dome light, passenger does.
    B - Airbag light on, after removing radio bezel (but not unplugging passenger airbag relay, it blinks twice, unless i turn airbag to the off position, in which case it will blink once).
    C - Radio is aftermarket pioneer, they spliced it in using home speaker wire to speakers, and did NOT use a toyota>pioneer adapter, simply twisted every wire needed, and electrical taped it.
    D - No backlighting on ac module. only light that functions is the light itself on the ac on/off toggle. have NOT tried new bulbs.
    E - Random wired/plugs EVERYWHERE.
    F - is there a seatbelt indicator in these vehicles? bulb might be out.
    G- Dinger to indicate the door is open.
    H - No Horn. horn works, but line is NOT hot.

A - More info to come when i get behind kickpanel to investiage, something is ghetto rigged, but ive only done the gray wire mod. I suspect the switch as the door dinger worked. Once.

B - On feb 26 i removed radio bezel, but DID NOT REMOVE the passenger airbag toggle. simple removed it from the bezel. Before messing with it, it was solid on. Now it blinks twice, or if i turn airbag to the OFF position, it blinks once. what do these blink codes mean?

C - im slowly going through the ncttora fsm wiring harness diagram. eventually ill get to this. i will acquire the stock plug, and the adapter from toyota to pioneer to do this properly. ugh. im glad these wires have tracers though.

D - this is what started all of this mess. the bulbs with green sleves are there, but my dmm is broken, but the light on/off toggle does work.

E - Two questions right now. The first, below the radio bezel, behind the power adapter plugs is four wires that come in from below the steering wheel in a black plastic wrap. these wires are yellow, black, red, and white. The yellow and black are twisted together, but with no electrical tape, same as the red and white wires. They to are twisted together. no electrical tape. these wires have NO tracers. where do they go?

Next, this plug. the black appears to hold a light bulb, possibly the light bulb that SHOULD be on the cig lighter on the radio bezel, is that correct? What about the white plug? This is from below the radio bezel behind the power adapter plastic trim.

weird plugs.jpg

F- no more information really, i can see there is a spot on the dash, i think the bulb is missing. ill check fsm on how to get to it.

G - the dinger worked once after 30 miles of hard offroading i opened door, it was dinging, i exclaimed "HEY IT WORKS," Closed the door, and it never worked again. i somewhat suspect the switch on the door. id assume the same switch controls the dome light that does not work?

H - Hardwired horn directly to battery and it worked, tested line, was not hot, tested ground, was good. need to trace wire and hope i can find the break. as id like to use the factory rs3000 alarm, id need a horn (im assuming?)

I - not to big of an issue, but electrical, no key fobs, but i do have a rs3000 security system. obviously i cannot program a remote if my driver door being open does NOT register.

2. Feb 26, 2012 at 9:50 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Bone Stock.
    I suspect issue E with the wrapped wires to be the speakers on the drivers side rear according to Do these wires run to the back via the driverish side?

as in the picture you can see my red house speaker wire, which i doubt is stock.

3. Feb 26, 2012 at 10:03 PM
    IGO4LOW

IGO4LOW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Fullerton, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4 w/ JBL Audio
    3" Procomp lift, 285/70 R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on Procomp series 6005 wheels, Fog lights on Anytime mod, illuminated oem fog switch, bed mat, all weather floormats, CB Radio in dash, alternating turn signal mod, automatic center console light. Blacked out badges, D2s in the grille.
    I am 98% sure that black plug holds a lightbulb and plugs I'm above the ashtray that elluminates the ashtray when open.

4. Feb 26, 2012 at 10:08 PM
    IGO4LOW

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Fullerton, CA
    Vehicle:
    3" Procomp lift, 285/70 R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on Procomp series 6005 wheels, Fog lights on Anytime mod, illuminated oem fog switch, bed mat, all weather floormats, CB Radio in dash, alternating turn signal mod, automatic center console light. Blacked out badges, D2s in the grille.
    And If I remember correctly the 12v plugs/big lighterwere commented to power with a white plug like that. are all three plugs connected/ working?

5. Feb 26, 2012 at 10:11 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Bone Stock.
    All three cig/power plugs use a plug that is shaped like an L. two are gray, one is clearish.

6. Feb 26, 2012 at 10:29 PM
    IGO4LOW

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Fullerton, CA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah that sounds right now that I think about it. good luck on everything.:thumbsup:

7. Feb 26, 2012 at 10:30 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Bone Stock.
    Thanks brosef!

8. Feb 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Bone Stock.
    Had a chance to do some investigating, as well as more problems.

ok, so, heres first. Dash lights, besides missing seatbelt bulb, am i missing anything else?
    [​IMG]

Here is a plug under the dash. what does it do, do i need it?
    [​IMG]

The mess under the radio bezel behind power adapter.
    -Farthest left, bare wires appear to be old rear speaker lines. Correct? Do both speaker lines really run to the rear via the driverside?
    -Little black plug is holder for bulb on cig light. bracket is gone.
    -three plugs are obviously cig/aux power
    -whats the little white plug?
    [​IMG]

Then this damn thing. i jiggled it, and now my airbag light is just solid, no more blinking. (1 blink, or two blink, and i cannot find the blink codes) doesnt look tampered with at all. but then again wires under dash do.

[​IMG]

Finally a few random pictures

How much of this mess is stock? what about wires spiraled around black tube at top? mind you i still have no horn.
    [​IMG]

Are these non working bulbs the same bulb as the one for the cig lighter? the bulbs DO NOT work, or maybe there is no power to the module, BUT the ac indicator light DOES work. my dmm is incoming, fluke something or other :D what size bulb are these? what SHOULD they be? autozone does NOT carry them. at all.
    [​IMG]

And a picture of the OLD stereo harness.
    [​IMG]

9. Feb 29, 2012 at 3:17 PM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Sent you a PM. We might be able to knock a few of these off the list with some ideas I have.

10. Feb 29, 2012 at 6:21 PM
    JSFoster75

JSFoster75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Bluff City, TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
    Too many to list.

Check out the link in my signature for LED replacement bulbs for your truck... Mine is a 2004, but you can get them for yours as well... I replaced most of my dash illumination lights with LED's and they look great. :)

11. Mar 2, 2012 at 1:22 AM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
  12. Mar 2, 2012 at 12:49 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Does your high-beam indicator light work?

I think that may be your mystery white plug... I vaguely remember those colored wires being tied into the headlights. I spliced my offroad lights into my high beam switch so they could be turned on and off with the dimmer and I'm pretty sure the wire I found to have 12v+ with the brights on was that green and red wire.

13. Mar 5, 2012 at 1:30 AM
    Greensystemsgo

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Bone Stock.

dude i need the professor!

it used to work until i got hid's.

Products Discussed in

To Top