Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2.7 misfire help!

Old 02-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
evansjos is on a distinguished road
evansjos's Tacoma Gallery
2.7 misfire help!

Hello all. Long time listener, first time caller. I have an 04 Tacoma with the 2.7 and about three weeks ago I was backing a four wheeler trailer up an incline and dumped the clutch a little quick and the truck died. It happens, right? Well, later that day the CEL came on and when I scanned it the code was PO303 and another one I don't recall for a vacuum leak. I cleared both and chalked the misfire up to my killing the truck and the vacuum leak to remembering that I filled up with gas a few days earlier while the truck was running.

However, after driving around for a week, the CEL came back on for PO303. I swapped coils on 2 and 3 and cleared it again. Another week goes by and the CEL is back on for the same thing. So, after swapping coils the misfire stayed in 3, which should eliminate that as a possibility. Today, I pulled the plugs from 2 and 3 and, while normal, the plug in 3 was slightly more fouled than the one in cylinder 2. They're OEM plugs and they have less than 10,000 miles on them.

Here's the thing: Even though the computer says its a misfire code, I never hear or feel a misfire. I swapped coils and plugs and it stayed in 3. What's my next step? A compression or vacuum test? Or, could it be an injector, and if so, what's the best method for testing one?

Any help you folks could give would be much appreciated. This is driving me crazy.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
Maybe I should have clarified but I have coil packs or maybe I'm misunderstanding you and are you referring to the wires connecting to the coil packs?
Old 02-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
Bump
Old 02-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Hillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant future

Hillingdoner's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm, what happens if you swap the plugs between 2 and 3?

Double check all connections too where you have had things apart to look at it/diagnose.

Is the vac leak still showing? Does not hurt to double check them and condition.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah im talking about your plug wires. The wires that go from the coil packs to the spark plugs
Old 02-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
Depending on mileage #3 cylinder is usually the first to lose compression due to a tight valve which in the end will require you to get a valve job, if left unchecked for very long.

Being that your driving an 04 2.7 it shouldnt have wires, its a COP system.

Change spark plugs and if problem persists do a compression test and go from there.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
Thanks guys. Will do the compression test next.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
What spark plugs are you running? If they are platinum, there's your problem.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #10
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
While under the hood, do a double check for blown vacum lines and caps. When you stalled backing up a hill, your engine was turned backwards for a revolution or two before you applied the brake. This will blow vacum lines.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #11
scotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scotrinaf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr97tacoma View Post
Yeah im talking about your plug wires. The wires that go from the coil packs to the spark plugs
I have Coil Packs, and you can't just buy the wires (or so I was told at the parts stores) and the Coil Packs are $85/ea +/-...
Old 02-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #12
The spark plugs are stock Denso's. When you say vacuum caps, what exactly are you referring to? Is there any vacuum line that would only affect the #3 cylinder?
Old 02-28-2012, 02:31 AM   #13
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a vacum stem posts(tree) on the engine, if they do not use all of the ports, they put a cap/plug on it. I doubt any one vacum line affects only #3 cylinder, but it could make the computer think it did.